Recipe please? Stuffed Sweet Peppers, no tomato sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
to what end, if you peel and stuff it the end result will burst open when its cooked, it will make a mess.the skin is what holds it together, its like baking a pie without a mold.
Not if you skin like we do. Ours come out whole and just fine without the skin. The skin gives a bitter taste to us that is not pleasant.

I charred them yesterday but didn't do a very good job. Yes, some of the flesh did get soft and I fully expect those parts to probably burst. But the rest of the peppers won't. I'll precook both the rice and meat. Still haven't decided on sauce or gravy, sitting on the fence there.

I charred them yesterday but didn't do a very good job. Yes, some of the flesh did get soft and I fully expect those parts to probably burst. But the rest of the peppers won't. I'll precook both the rice and meat. Still haven't decided on sauce or gravy, sitting on the fence there.
If you cut the peppers in half, longitudinally, you can still stuff them. I think they would be less likely to burst that way. You can also get more cheese on top. I never took the skins off of peppers. The first batch I made were with whole peppers. Later, I tried with half peppers. I preferred the stuffed, half peppers.

I too, have done it both ways. But think I have it figured out how I want to do them, just need to fine tune it... so to speak and hopefully they won't hit the disposal. LOL
I'll keep y'all posted.

Stuffed peppers 24.01.05.jpg
Stuffed peppers a 24.01.05.jpg

only did the 4 peppers. Ate the leftovers as my share. Can I repeat it? Gads, I certainly hope so. Was absolutely devine! can I even write out the recipe for you? Argh... maybe. ..

So I did char the peppers to remove the skins, sort of. Parts really did get too soft. Cooked Jasmine rice in a mild beef broth. Made the mushroom sauce (amazing stuff). Added and mixed rice and cooked meat together - stuffed the peppers. Spooned sauce into, on and around. Done.

Meat was 1/2 lb each of beef and pork. oops, almost forgot... a 1 small onion, diced and then just before I added the meat I threw in a quick heaping teaspoon of garlic (from a jar). Spooned off excess fat. For the mushroom sauce - my heavy cream got frozen at the back of the fridge :( but I managed to get most of it cut out of the carton. Huge mess left on the table of course.

I sent the peppers upstairs for son and DIL's supper. Haven't heard back from them as to whether or not it is a repeat meal. I believe the guinea pigs have survived as I can hear sounds from upstairs this morning - so that's always a good sign. :)

Hi Dragnlaw,

- A potential replacement for a tomato sauce topping for stuffed peppers is a blackened Red pepper coulis.

To get peppers soft, thoroughly Blacken all sides of 4-6 red bell peppers on the burner. Like you already know and put in a mixing bowl, seal w/ plastic film for 30 minutes minimum to further steam and soften as well as flavor development. You can just go do something else at this point...

Separate skin, seed and stem from the flesh. Use stick blender to puree the flesh. Separate amount for that meal, freeze the remainder. ***(If you use plastic bags they freeze flat for quicker thawing and can be used to pipe a ribbon of that smokey goodness onto anywhere you think it would look and taste good by snipping the corner. Like cream or bean soups, I used it for a savory Pumpkin soup.)

To use as a sauce, I would typically use cold butter mounted into the warm coulis before serving and maybe some fresh herbs if you like.

- Rice - I normally start with raw but cooked is a great way to use leftover rice

- Meat - Again, raw, for the moisture and flavor given to the rice but a good use of leftover cooked meat.

- Peppers - Raw, would only consider par boil for completely cooked filling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom