"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 06-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
Master Chef

You might be able to grow it in the winter, jp.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Maybe, Constance I do have a small 8x10 green house and my tomatoes are just starting to get flowers to fruit but I have a bit of heat(oil heater) at night and a fan in the day it's difficult, too hot in green house in the day too cold at night but I have so far the last 5 years gotten tons of tomatoes in my little green house started by seeds in my house and planted in large containers. I always feel very proud to grow these wonderful tomatoes from seed since I have no gardening experience.Last year we got tomatoes into December but hubby shut it down since he was coming to see me inTexas ,my november,december job.Who knows how long they could have gone. One of my tricks in growing herbs and tomatoes from seed is to water them with warm water they always sprout in about 3-5 days and I keep giving them warm water until they are established and strong.Meaning no shock to seeds or little sprouts from cold water.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
You can pretty much do the same things with Swiss Chard that you would with spinach. It's quite a bit less sharp in flavor, tho. and if you have baby leaves, they're great raw in a salad, just like spinach.

Interestingly, I found in France that in the North they eat the ribs, braised with onions and maybe some garlic, in stock. Very tasty. But in the South, they strip the ribs and eat the leaves.

I've kind of adopted both ways. If I buy two big bunches, I can make two different sides out of the chard by first serving it Provencal style (leaves) and then Parisian (ribs).

The Provencal have two yummy recipes for Swiss Chard Tarts -- one is savory with pine nuts, and the other is sweet! a dessert!!! I can post the recipes for you if you'd like.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Swiis Chard Tarts that sounds really,really good.I also love Kale.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #15
Master Chef

The Victory Garden Cookbook has many lovely recipes for Swiss Chard - including tarts & baked squares. Fabulous stuff.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I'd love the recipes, June. Swiss chard tarts sound really good. I did cut the rib out of each leaf so next time I'll know better.

I bet my Laurel's Kitchen might have some recipes, also. I'm a big fan of kale, also.

I had no idea that it was milder than spinach.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I'll try to post the recipes tonight after we hang the shades.

One thing I love to do with the red chard, especially is to saute the leaves with a little garlic, then squirt in a few dollops of balsamic glaze and when that's almost evaporated, a few pine nuts. You could almost just sprinkle it with grated Parm and call it "Dinner!"
Old 06-12-2007, 05:59 AM   #18
Master Chef

I, too, use Swiss chard in any recipe where I might use spinach. And it is so pretty (I grow the same rainbow variety pictured). My favorite think is to boil some angel hair pasta, chop the chard, and toss all in the skillet with olilve oil, my favorite garlic seasoning and hot pepper flakes. Maybe some olives as well.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:36 AM   #19
Executive Chef

t My chard only has white stems...next year I'll plant the variety pack.

jpmcgrew - it's very easy to grow. All I did was plant seeds and water. I believe it was one of the first veggies to poke it's head through the ground.

Claire, you gave me an idea for breakfast. I'll toss chopped chard with some grains and saute them in evoo and garlic. I have several tupperwares with cooked grains in them since I'm trying to eat healthier. We've never been wedded to any certain food for any meal and I often eat dinner for breakfast.

edited: I'm a happy cooker!
I sauteed some garlic in evoo, added red wheat berries and then tossed in my chopped chard. I loved it.

Tags
None