"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-10-2007, 11:51 PM   #1
Master Chef

The 'Other' Vegetables

I call these the 'other' veggies cause I never use them... that is going to change!

My interest has been tweaked lately by parsnips, fennel, and turnips... well, those are the main ones so far. I expect others will follow as I find ways to incorporate the above 3 in my recipes. I love trying new things, specially new things with old recipes. So like with parsnips, or turnips, or fennel, can they easily be added to stew or roasts? I'm not looking to make a star dish of any of these ingredients, but just something different to dishes I already prepare. Orrrrr... if any of you blessed folks have some recipes that include these wonderful root veggies, I would love to see what ya gots!

My mom use to make fried parsnips... I think she par boiled them and then sliced in half and fried in bacon grease. I always loved the sweetness that they had.

I want to introduce them into our palate. I have several varaitions of roast, sometimes I use cabbage, sometimes I add pasta, sometimes I may want to use parsnips or fennel... please advise!!! I'm dying for some new textures and flavors!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Julienned parsnips are great in oxtail soup, sattie. They add such a wonderful depth of flavor. I've posted my recipe here. It's delicious.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
Master Chef

Hey Katie E, thanks for the reply. The only oxtail soup I have ever tried was out of a box... so sadly to say, I have not had the real deal. I would love to try your recipe!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:40 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I love roasted parsnips. I usually do them the same as tghe roast potatoes, so parboil and then roast in fat from the joint. Honeyed parsnips are also supposed to be good but I don't have a recipe for that. I also slice parsnip and add to stews and mince mixes.

I sometimes mash turnip with the potatos, but don't eat a lot of them and I have never really got the hang of cooking fennel.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:53 AM   #5
Executive Chef

My favourite way to eat parsnips is just in with the roast and all the other chunky vegetables. Second favourite would be parsnips chips - sliced thinly and oven fried.

I only use turnips in soups.

I have roasted fennel before but didn't think anything fabulous about it. I was really disappointed as I love aniseed flavoured things but whether it was just the way I cooked it or just not a great fennel bulb, I don't know. Shaved fennel salads are the big thing on the local cooking shows these days. Think Jamie Oliver uses it a fair bit.

Here are some links for you:
Search - Recipes - Taste.com.au=
Old 12-11-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Washington Post just had an interesting article about parsnips.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I love them all roasted! You could also do a fennel mashed potatoes, more taters than fennel. YUMMY!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:44 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukx View Post
Washington Post just had an interesting article about parsnips.
That article reminded me of the mollecular gastronomy "dish" of parsnip milk that was on tv earlier this year (Ready Steady Cook - Oz show).

I had a look but can't find the link to that recipe but these links are interesting!!
parsnip milk - Google Search
Old 12-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I add parsnips to stews. Roasting them is probably my favourite way of cooking them, especially when roasted with carrots. Potato / turnip mash is great, as is turnip / carrot mash. My Mother added turnip to a many of her soups, so I do also. I like grilled fennel. It's also great shaved and added to a salad with things like apple, pear, cheese. Have fun!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
Executive Chef

parsnips like carrots roast well with meats and poultry. I have tossed out my roasting racks and put my birds or joints on a thick onion slice and halved lengthwise carrots and parsnips. they flavor the drippings beautifully and can be eaten or mashed into the sauce or gravy with great results. I also toss carrots and parsnips around the roast or bird for the last hour and serve them as they are. Just wonderful. TUrnips don't take as long to cook but also can be done that way as can rutabaga (gold turnip or swede).
any of these are great cooked and mashed with potatoes, used in soups or stews. They really give great flavor and do so well with the meaty flavors.

Fennel I love to saute with onion for soups, and to put over grilled or broiled fish. It's also great in a variety of salads and with orange slices.

Finally just a pan of roasted root veggies seasoned with olive oil thyme garlic salt and pepper is irresistable. I mix em all up ... sweet potatoes, carrot, turnip, parsnip, rutabaga, beet, pearl onion, even celery root. I tend to cut largish bite size and roast @ 400 for up to 30-45 min. you want a bit of brrowning to take place. So good!

Tags
None