"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Do you get English cucumbers where you live? The are long and unwaxed and the seeds are tiny. Really, nice cucumbers. The skins are not as tough as the other kind of cukes, even when they aren't waxed.
Yes we do have the English cukes. And I will buy them on occasion. They aren't as watery as our regular ones. Sometimes I will buy the small pickling ones. They have a lot of flavor. But I still have to peel them. Yet I will eat the skin on pickles. Go figure.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #42
Executive Chef

I forgot that I'd almost die for fried battered zucchini. I guess the world takes all kinds...

Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I forgot that I'd almost die for fried battered zucchini. I guess the world takes all kinds...
It's the only way I can eat it, but with out the skin. The same thing for eggplant. And that is my favorite veggie. I love an eggplant sub. I will even eat the bread that they put it in. Well, almost all of it. I do start picking the bread off about the middle of the sandwich. And towards the end, i just get rid of the bread and eat the eggplant. I have given up making eggplant parm. I, like my daughter, eat it as fast as I fry the pieces. As a result, no one gets any eggplant. There is none left. Knowing this, I usually buy a small one. Less fat.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #44
Executive Chef

I would eat zucchini skins alone. I love eggplant too, skins on please. Also potatoes. Or just potato skins. I'm sorry to be a contrarian. The skins have the best part of the vegetables, most of the vitamins and IMO most of the taste too. And sadly some of the time most of the pesticides.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #45
Executive Chef

How do I pick just "3" ? I love all vegetables, I don't think I can name one I don't care for. Top of the list, Asparagus anyway you serve it. Love beets, fresh from my garden, and green beans too, just tender crisp, with a little butter and salt and pepper.

I am fond of saying "if I didn't like meat so much......I could be a vegetarian!"
Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
How do I pick just "3" ? I love all vegetables, I don't think I can name one I don't care for. Top of the list, Asparagus anyway you serve it. Love beets, fresh from my garden, and green beans too, just tender crisp, with a little butter and salt and pepper.

I am fond of saying "if I didn't like meat so much......I could be a vegetarian!"
Thanks for the reminder. I need to put beets on my grocery list. I cook them remove the skin and keep in the fridge. then when I am hungry or want a snack I grab one with the salt shaker and paper towel and have me a feast. One of my favorite veggies. And if I should buy them in a can, I put the can in the fridge. I never heat up beets. Love them cold.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #47
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I need to put beets on my grocery list. I cook them remove the skin and keep in the fridge. then when I am hungry or want a snack I grab one with the salt shaker and paper towel and have me a feast. One of my favorite veggies. And if I should buy them in a can, I put the can in the fridge. I never heat up beets. Love them cold.
I love cold beets too with S & P.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am very fond of beets. The only time I have eaten them cold, is when they are pickled. I will have to try them your way.

I hate the way the beets I get are battered up. My Danish recipes all say to leave 2 cms (~1 inch) of stem and to leave the tail on. That way you don't lose a bunch of good colour and antioxidants and stuff into the boiling water. After the beets are boiled, they say to plunge them into cold water and "slip" the skins off. Even the beets with tops on, here, have holes where a bunch of the goodness can leak out.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #49
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I am very fond of beets. The only time I have eaten them cold, is when they are pickled. I will have to try them your way.

I hate the way the beets I get are battered up. My Danish recipes all say to leave 2 cms (~1 inch) of stem and to leave the tail on. That way you don't lose a bunch of good colour and antioxidants and stuff into the boiling water. After the beets are boiled, they say to plunge them into cold water and "slip" the skins off. Even the beets with tops on, here, have holes where a bunch of the goodness can leak out.
Try roasting them if you haven't had them way before. I think they get a little more concentrated in flavor.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
Try roasting them if you haven't had them way before. I think they get a little more concentrated in flavor.
They still leek good juices if they have holes.

Tags
veggies