"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #31
Head Chef

I once canned two dozen quarts of sauerkraut - the house smelled for days, because it has to ferment in a crock. NO ONE in the family would eat it except me, and I ended up giving most of it to some German neighbors who loved it.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
canned sauerkraut or corn is about all I buy for veggies.

Funny story about the spinach....
My Dad is from Chester, IL, home of Popeye. They have a statue, festival and everything.
Alton Brown stopped there on his trip up the Mississippi, I was so tickled because I knew exactly where everything he was talking about was!!!! Called Dad and everything.
Anyway they stopped at the park on the river where the statue is, and Alton hands the french guy a can of spinach, in honor of Popeye, and they all dig in. The facial expressions of them eating said spinach was just priceless!!!! I thought the french guy was going to hurl right on Popeye!!! I'm sure many of you saw it, but I have to say that's got to be some of the funniest blurb of tv I've ever seen!!!

BTW, I've never tried canned spinach. I think I won't bother!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:32 PM   #33
Head Chef

I like canned spinach. Heat, a little vinegar upon serving....
Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
There's lots of canned veggies I like - spinach is ok with a bit of vinegar. I don't think I've ever had canned carrots though. Canned sweet peas are a great memory from childhood. Canned green beans, canned corn, and oh, canned potatoes are GREAT if you fry them with your fried chicken - coat them with your chicken flour/seasoning and fry them right alongside - YUM!

This is a personal preference kind of thread where there are no right or wrong answers.

I cannot eat frozen green beans or frozen carrots - not even in soup - they taste very odd!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I used to like canned spinach. Never liked fresh or frozen.
Never like carrots canned, fresh or frozen.

I like canned green beans, corn, and potatoes
though I much prefer fresh potatoes.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Who Likes Canned Spinach and Canned Carrots?
Not I.......

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Of course I prefer fresh over canned but as kid we grew up with mostly canned because thats what was available. Where I live it's hard to get anything more than the basics in fresh vegetables. I do like canned beets. green beans, corn, all the regular beans, tomatoes in all forms, mushrooms, baked beans, spinach and so on. I don't care for carrots or potatoes.Actually I love canned spinach and fresh but the canned I eat will eat all by it's self juice and all with some lemon and butter heated kind of like a soup. So sue me. Another thought is canned and frozen retain more vitamins even though cooked because it has not been shipped and held a long time were they start to lose their nutrition. Canned spinach is a comfort food for me.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #38
Executive Chef

I'm noticing.... with vinegar. I never heard of this. It must be a midwest thing. Even fresh cooked I've never heard of this.
What we grew up on seems to be the commonality here. And hard times seem to be had by all. Now veggies are global and year round. When someone tells you they ate corn in december, and not from a can, you gotta know they're too young to remember when you had to.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quicksilver, you are so right. It seems to me that when I was a kid, the produce department at the grocery store had pretty slim pickings in winter - potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onions, rutabagas, turnips...no tomatoes, no lettuce, no strawberries. We used to get oranges and grapefruit from Florida around Christmas time. What a treat! My mom made lots of coleslaw, grated carrot salad, jello salad with canned fruit. We got a freezer in 1954 when I was 10 years old, and we got introduced to frozen vegetables. WOW!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
So sue me.
Before I go to all the trouble could you please send me your investment portfolio and your tax returns for the past 7 years?

The vinegar on spinach is a very common thing - also for collard greens. I don't know if it's a midwest thing or a southern thing or simply a "spinach thing" And to top it off a lot of people will toss in a few sliced hot chili peppers OR you can buy vinegar with whole chili peppers in them and use that.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None