"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2018, 01:48 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Yuk To Veggies

As a kid, we would pull a carrot, break off a beat, string bean, etc, wash it off under the hose and eat it right then. But our taste buds change over the years. Now veggies I loved as a kid, I don't even want to see them on my plate.

Parsnips, Kale, most any leafy veggie except spinach, green beans, yet I will eat them if they are frozen and French cut. Certain lettuces are also on my list of foods I never will touch. As a kid, I only ate the top of the broccoli. Now I eat the whole stalk. Boiled cabbage is no longer a veggie I will eat. And yet I ate it all the time with a boiled dinner.

So folks. Fess up. What veggies will we never see on your plate.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:11 AM   #2
Master Chef

For me, it is carrots. I just don't like them.

I don't like cooked cabbage, either, although I like coleslaw, and I like sauerkraut on a good hot dog.

CD

Old 12-30-2018, 02:41 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Lima beans, although I don’t think they’re a veggie, technically. And celery, unless it’s diced very small and used as an ingredient, like in gumbo.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:34 AM   #4
Head Chef

I love veggies, but any thing overcooked wont be on my plate.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:36 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Well, Im in a situation, cause if I give up or limit my veggie intake, Ill starve

My trend is actually adding more veggies to my diet as Ive gotten older, but there are still a few that I just never acquired a taste for.

Collard greens - I haven't found a vegetarian way to make this edible.
Radishes - If sliced thinly ( and I mean really thin) I can tolerate them in a salad.
Pumpkin - I eat all kinds of squashes, but I think there is a stigma in my mind about eating pumpkin.
Dandelion Greens - Bitter and taste miserable. I wish I liked them cause of the easy access
Cardoon - I had never heard of it until watching a cooking show on TV. My wife decided to buy and cook it up one day. Not sure if it was the vegetable or just her lousy ability as a cook, but we haven't eaten it since.
Carrots and peas - I love raw,dont mind them cooked in soups to stews, but done like them cooked by themselves as a side dish.
Mushrooms - ( not technically a veggie, I guess) Absolutely love them cooked, don't like raw
Peppers - I like the flavor, but. I dont like actually eating them. So, Ill usually cut them up into big chunks, so I can cook with them, extract the flavors then easily fish out.
Kale - Im on the fence. Sometimes I like it, sometimes, not so much. Now that I am using baby kale, I seem to be doing a better job cooking it.
Maxixe - Not sure if they have another name or not . A friend from Brazil sent me the seeds ( as she knew I liked gardening and trying new things). They grew rather well, and I got a plentiful amount, but they were like small, spiky, sour little cucumbers. Or, to sum it up, tasted like crap.
Romaine lettuce - I wouldn't say I hate it, they are just too stemmy for me. Although, I once had them grilled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar drizzled over it at a restaurant, and that was pretty good.

Things I have learned to like as an adult:
Brussel Sprouts , raw tomatoes

One of my hobbies is trying new fruits and veggies. Anytime Im in a market, if I see something I don't recognize, I pick it up, do a little research , and try it. Its kinda my way of exploring the world without leaving the kitchen.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:57 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Lima beans, although I don’t think they’re a veggie, technically. And celery, unless it’s diced very small and used as an ingredient, like in gumbo.
I forgot about lima beans. Yeah. they get a big YUK from me. I also don't like most kinds of beans except the ones used to make Boston Bakes Beans.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:15 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
For me, it is carrots. I just don't like them.

I don't like cooked cabbage, either, although I like coleslaw, and I like sauerkraut on a good hot dog.

CD
I am with you on the coleslaw and sauerkraut. But carrots are one of my favorite food. When I am planning a meal for just the two of us, I plan a very large potato cut in half, but five or more carrots. I get to eat them all. Pirate hates them.

My mother used to mash my carrots into my mashed potatoes for me and season with S&P. I still do that today. And I did it for my kids as they were growing up. I told them they were having orange mashed potatoes. The store didn't have the white ones. Silly kids. They thought they were sweet potatoes. Which they loved. The oldest kid spilled the beans when she realized what I was doing.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:49 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Most folks know I detest brussel sprouts.
I really don't like lima beans or garbanzo beans. In fact I'm not fond of most beans. White beans and black beans are the best of the beans camp.Green beans need bacon help.

I also don't like any winter squashes as the texture is just wrong to me. I feel the same about sweet potato and yam.
I'm not fond of the trendy "field greens" for salads. They stick to my teeth. Ick. Iceberg lettuce is a waste of chewing. It's tasteless or sometimes bitter.

Peas should not be cooked, only defrosted. Canned vegetables except for tomatoes will never see my pantry.

I like most everything else I've tried and asparagus, along with brocolinni are my favorites.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:53 AM   #9
Head Chef

I dont like cooked brussel sprouts, but I loved roasted with hazelnuts and bacon.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:34 AM   #10
Head Chef

I can't think of any veggies that I don't like, as long as they are not improperly prepared. I think a lot of people overcook veggies and then don't like them. Overcooked brussel sprouts are pretty rank, but I like them nuked just enough to get a fork into them, and really like them tossed with EVOO, salted and roasted. The only veggie I deliberately overcook is sweet potato, as I think the taste improves significantly when it starts to soften.

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egg, veggies