"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs
Old 10-18-2005, 10:50 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer
texasgirl I know he is just looking for advice. I just don't see a need for a salsa package personally. If other people do then that is great and I hope they can give some good advice to AZRelish.

I just don't see the point in a salsa package. There are jarred salsas on the market that are great products and do not require any prep work at all. For people who don't know how to cook or don't want to cook, I would think they would be more apt to use something like that instead of buying a spice mixture and also tomatoes and having to do some prep work.

I did not mean to rain on anybodys parade. I am sorry if I did so!

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #12
Master Chef
Nope, no raining

I'm not sure on the salsa one myself, I've never seen a packaged kind. I was more onto the guacamole seasoning.

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:14 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
As far as guacamole goes, all you need to make a nice guacamole is lime juice, a little scallion or onion, dash of garlic and fresh cilantro. You don't really need additional spices to cover up the delicate flavour of avocado.
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:15 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Maybe I'm not reading this right? But why would your "mix" be different than any other "mix"? If your mix has all the dried herbs/spices that sounds the same to me.

And it is very true - homemade salsa is sinfully easy to make, guacamole is also easy to make.

Salsa - tomatoes, fresh cilantro, fresh lime juice, spring onions or red onions, fresh jalapeno pepper, salt and pepper

Guacamole - fresh avocados, fresh cilantro, fresh lime juice, spring onions or red onions, fresh jalapeno, cumin, salt and pepper

Part of the time it takes to make this is just a little chopping. The quality of your finished product wil far outweigh the added 5 minutes of prep work.

I'm just talking about guacamole and salsa here - there are other pre-packaged food items that I find invaluable during crunch time dinners.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:41 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Don't recall using spices in our fresh salsa. Just onions, peppers, tomatoes, etc.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:44 PM   #16
Senior Cook
i've never heard of dry salsa mix, either... ive never put spices into salsa so i cant imagine what would be in it. garlic powder or onion powder or something?
HappyAvocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:51 PM   #17
Master Chef
The people who can't/don't/won't/too tired/busy to cook will pick up a jar of salsa off the shelf, or a tub of green avacado flavored stuff out of a refrigerated case. Having to do any prep work will be too much for them. They are willing to trade off flavor and texture for convenience.

Those who do cook from scratch aren't going to be too interested in a "seasoning mix" because they are not willing to give up the flavor and texture of the real stuff.

But, somewhere between the two there probably is a small market share that would be interested in something like what you propose. However, the more additional ingredients and prep work they have to do, the lower their interest will be in the product. For example - why should they have to buy a lime and squeeze it when your mix could already contain it in the form of lime flavored citric acid?

Talk about marketing slogans - Pace picante/salsa had a great one on TV some time back ... "Pick up the flavor - pick up the Pace" - at least I think that is how it went.

Originally Posted by AZRelish
How do I convince a consumer to venture down that isle again without the predetermined disappointment?
After you've done your marketing research and blind taste tests to compare your product with other similar products on the market and you're getting 80% or better results of people preferring your product over the others ... it's called marketing and advertising. Basically - you set up a card table in the store and pass out free samples all day.

You might want to check out the book How To Start Your Own Food Business.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:17 PM   #18
Executive Chef
As Michael mentioned, set up a table and give out free samples of your product and another product. The best place to sell your product might be convenience stores, since that is what people want, something quick and convenient.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:11 PM   #19
Master Chef
My daughter is a young working mother and uses lots of convenience foods. She made some guacamole out with a packaged seasoning mix one night, and it was quite edible. It is made with fresh avacados, and she chopped a little fresh tomato into it.
I have seen seasoning packets for salsa, but I think most people buy the jarred salsa anymore. I've tasted some pretty decent ones. Pace Piquante Sauce is my favorite, when tomatoes are out of season. One can whip up a pretty good salsa with those canned diced Mexican Style tomatoes, too. Red Gold makes a good one, and they're about .69 instead of .95 a can, like Del Monte.

I think the free sample idea is a great one. I know Sam's sells a lot of things that way.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:30 PM   #20
Executive Chef
Our Publix has very good fresh salsa and also a brand called A1A, made in St. Augustine is really good. It must be used in a couple of days, but is very good.

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote