For Salsa Snobs: My Red for Your Green…

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never knew cilantro (the leafy green stuff) could be cooked. How? Boiled? Sauteed?

Anyhow, you might try toasted coriander seeds (the end product of the cilantro plant) which can be cracked or ground. People who dislike the leafy herb find coriander seeds acceptable.

I haven't actually heard of coriander greens / cilantro being cooked as a vegetable. It's cooked as a seasoning. Though, often it is added as a seasoning at the end of the cooking or after the cooking, when it will still be basically raw when served. It's often an ingredient in Indian cooking and usually added early enough in the cooking process that it gets cooked and I don't find it offensive.

Coriander seeds would not work as a substitute. The flavour profile is far too different from the flavour profile of the greens. I really like coriander seeds, whether they are toasted or not. Those don't have to be cooked for me to enjoy.

Never knew cilantro (the leafy green stuff) could be cooked. How? Boiled? Sauteed?

Anyhow, you might try toasted coriander seeds (the end product of the cilantro plant) which can be cracked or ground. People who dislike the leafy herb find coriander seeds acceptable.
She probably means it's used in a cooked dish, not cooked by itself.

In the recipe I posted, it is added at the end as the salsa is cooling down , so it is kinda partially cooked. I like it like that cause during the cooling down process , the flavors infuse in the salsa, but still allow fro that fresh cilantro taste.

That being said, I make a fresh, non cooked salsa which is basically onions, peppers, tomatoes , salt, garlic , cilantro ( and depending on the pepper's heat or the guests im serving it to, I may add a few splashes of hot pepper sauce to heat things up a bit). Small dice all, let it sit a bit so the flavors melt together. Occasionally Ill add a little vinegar too, to add that twang to it. Really depends on the tomatoes if they're acidy or not.

Two things are often used in Thai food for cooked foods - cilantro roots, and cilantro stems. The roots used to be available on most of the cilantro, especially in the Asian markets, but I can't remember the last time I saw it! Now they say that the stems make sort of a decent substitute. So for recipes that call for some cooked, and some added last, definitely use the stems for the cooked.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom