"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs
Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
Sous Chef
Either way its decieving. The white can company alos makes a jar sauce that is sort of expensive for what it is. I am sure its not a bad product but if I am shelling out the dough for San Marzano I want San Marzano otherwise I will buy the $1 supermarket brand TUVM

PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
Master Chef
San Marzano is also the cultivar name of the tomato that is from there. I used to grow some plants for spring sales, although Roma was a better seller, even with my Italian customers.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
Executive Chef
well, I'm shocked...I am growing the cultivar, San Marzano, and had no idea there would be so much prejudice against those poor 'lil plants
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #14
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I thought the tomatoes had to be grown in the San Marzano region of Italy to be correctly called San Marzano tomatoes.
The farmers I buy them from do not call them San Marzano, even tho they are the same strain. You are right. It is incorrect to call any tomatoes "San Marzano" that do not come from that region in Italy. The farmers I know call them simply "Roma Tomatoes."
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #15
Executive Chef
yes, you want the Italian ones ... sweeter, you can eat them right out of the can! The others will taste ok, but not the same. Look for the DOP or DOC on the lable. Cento, and Nina put out the #10 cans. THere are others found at specialty Italian groceries.

Cento sells from the website if anyone has no local purveyor.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #16
Executive Chef
The Canned San Marzano Study

The start to this thread began here, a short talk about authentic San Marzano tomatoes. So, like I stated in the thread, I decided to examine them myself.

The two subjects.

The can on the left "Cento Canned San Marzano grown and canned in Italy". The can on the right "San Marzano tomatoes grown in the USA"

Here's some info from the two cans. Note the basil leaf in the Cento product.

Only certified San Marzano's get this seal.

Upon opening the containers, both looked identical. So I dug in there and took a tomato out from each can. Note: I actually dug around in the USA can to try and find a tomato that looked like the picture on the label but only found round ones the size of a Hacky Sack (like a kiwi fruit).

Here they are sliced open. 85% of the liquid on the plate was from the Italian tomato. Also, the juice from the USA grown tomato was quite watery.

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #17
Executive Chef
I am not an expert on tomatoes, but I do grow them myself and I'm a fan of tomato based dishes, etc. My final impression is as follows:

(tasted raw out of the can)

USA Produced - firm texture, the puree and juice from the tomato was a tad watery, the flavor of the puree was 'flat' (only word I could think of), all in all the tomato has very good flavor with nearly no acidity. I would question the "tomato juice" added to the product along with the variety of tomatoes used for the puree.

Italian Produced - soft and delicate texture, like a ripe tomato. The fresh basil is a nice touch yet does not really add to the flavor, the tomatoes are loaded with thick juice and the puree tastes exactly like the tomatoes and it thicker than the other brand. Also a very good flavor.

Which brand is better? I don't know. But I do know this: If I'm going to pay nearly the same amount of money for San Marzanos from Italy or the USA, I'm going to take the Centos. The USA produced tomatoes have a substatially better flavor than other variety of canned tomatoes, but should revise the puree and label themselves differently. Buy either one, but if they are next to each other, grab the authentic San Marzano.

Now....I have to go roll out some pasta.

Cin Cin!
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #18
Master Chef
Viva Italia!
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #19
Head Chef
Now, wish I knew what Calcium chloride was. Guessing it's a preservative. The tomaters on the right look plumper/firmer.
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #20
Executive Chef
I believe you can get San Marzano Tomato seeds that would be a great experiment as well. Anybody ever try the Pomi brand of Italian tomatoes? They come in a box rather than a can I can't get any here. I never felt they were better than regular canned tomatoes but I have not had any for years.

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote