"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 08-20-2006, 10:24 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
More grease, more browning the flour and grease to a very very light brown. LOTS of pepper as the other southerner said. cook the roux. Add the milk. If it is too thick add more milk/liquid--easy enough. I really suspect you are trying to cut down on the grease/fat portion if your gravy isn't flavorful. And cook the flour and fat together more.
I would have to agree.... I usually cook mine to a "dirty blonde" color.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:49 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

GB,
I'm with Harborwitch and Gretchen. When I make a white gravy for chicken fried steak or even to go with fried chicken, I like either sausage or bacon fat, plus a little butter. If I need a fancy gravy then I'd go the other way. But for what you're looking for, you want that flavor that bacon or sausage gives you. My family loves chicken fried steak, white gravy and biscuits..So, it's always the bacon or sausage grease for us.
and yes lots of fresh cracked black pepper and some salt...

kadesma

Old 08-21-2006, 08:01 AM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

Well I love bacon and sausage so that sounds like a great way to go!
Old 08-21-2006, 08:12 AM   #24
Head Chef

One thing I have learned about making gravy is to let the flour sit in the pan a few min to get a good tast from the flour and not a plain flour taste. When i make whit gravey for chicken fried stake or biscuites and gravey I always use crumbled sausage.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:54 AM   #25
Executive Chef

nutmeg will add a subtle sweet flavor and is not untradtional (Denny's use it!)
Try a spoon of soup base (beef) or buillon cube (less maybe 1/2 a cube) to add salt and flavor. Season All or Tony Chatcheres' cajun seasoning are good ideas too.
If it's sausage gravy add some thyme and sage (sausage spices) along with some red pepper.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:57 AM   #26
Senior Cook

This is how I make White gravy... I do the same thing, you did, in the oil.. I add flour and 1 to 2 chicken bouillon cubes, ( crush them) brown the flour a bit, Then I add only milk, usually about ohh maybe 16 ounces or so, ( no broth or water, just milk) .. keep stirring.. add the salt and pepper.. BUT I use this seasoning called Johnny's pork and chicken seasoning.. oh my gosh its soo good, I also put it on the chicken or pork while cooking Try it :)
Old 08-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #27
Sous Chef

How long did you cook your roux before adding the liquid?? Was your flour seasoned with more than salt & pepper?? (garlic, onion?)

To zip your gravy up a little more, you might think on adding a little horseradish, mustard, shallots, wine, or another flavor you especially like or will go with rest of your entree.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #28
Chief Eating Officer

The roux was cooked for a few minutes before I added the liquid, but it was only seasoned with salt and pepper.

I like the idea of both mustard and horseradish. Those are not the flavors I was going for, but they would be delicious nonetheless.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #29
Master Chef

I always add a little bacon grease to the drippings in the skillet. I also use a pinch of sugar in addition to the S&P. You'd be surprised what a difference that little bit of sugar makes.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #30
Everymom

I was thinking bacon early on in the thread and then read Constance's post. Thats where I would go with it.

GB, you eat bacon right? If not then the sausage fat would be a winner too. In my experience, the true flavour of the gravy comes from the fat used. You can add seasonings all you like, but the fat is the key.

Tags
None