Dried Bean Soak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should always soak beans overnight and then boil and simmer for a long time to eliminate the toxins that cause flatulence. Beans that are cooked quickly are indigestible. I have cooked with salt and without salt, not noticing any difference except taste.

I always soak overnight. Then cook for an hour or so before I add salt.

I have picked up some very good tips from the test kitchen but as long I don't have hard watter I will keep cooking bean my way.

I *n*ever salt my beans when soaking them. I also soak them twice, to get rid of even more "gas". Dried beans freshly rehydrated are wonderful. I put flavor in them *after* they are full and plump. Something my dad's mom taught me. She was from Portugal. You know, the "old school".

I always soak overnight. Then cook for an hour or so before I add salt.

I have picked up some very good tips from the test kitchen but as long I don't have hard watter I will keep cooking bean my way.

I follow your same procedure but next time I cook dried beans
I am going to try a salt water soak on a test sample and report back with
results.

I *n*ever salt my beans when soaking them. I also soak them twice, to get rid of even more "gas". Dried beans freshly rehydrated are wonderful. I put flavor in them *after* they are full and plump. Something my dad's mom taught me. She was from Portugal. You know, the "old school".
Mmmmmm, linguicia and beans. I cut my baby teeth on that stuff. My mom was Portugese from CA, and my grandma was from the Azores.

Back
Top Bottom