"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Ham Hock

I just pulled a 2 1/2 pound hamhock out of the freezer. I am preparing for a cold weekend, again . Well, when I went to assemble the beans, I discovered I am out a navy beans, what I was intending to use. I do have green lentils and cannelini beans. Are the cannelini beans a natural with ham? I am sure the lentils will work, but I have an awful lot of dried cannelinis. Any suggestions? I also have red kidneys, but i'm thinking those would not work so good.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Master Chef

I'd go with the Cannelinis. They work well with smoked meats. In fact, they're one of my favorites for Cassoulet.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Beth...

I would take the hock (is it a true hock or a left over ham bone?) simmer in water to extract all of the flavor. Add garlic, bay leaf, thyme, salt, black pepper, and anything else(onions, peppers etc.) that makes you happy. Soak the kidneys while the hock is simmering. Add the beans, cook slowly until very done. Remove the hock but add any meat back to the pot. Brown off some smoked sausage either in the oven or on top of the stove. Add the sausage a few minutes before serving. Serve over rice. You'll be happy and warm!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I am with Uncle Bob on this one, sounds like a real heart warmer.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Thanks Breezy, I'll go with the cannelinis (white Kidneys).

Uncle Bobby, its a real ham hock. We got a 1/2 hog last fall, but come to think of it, only got one hock, is this normal to only get one?

Will do on the simmering the hock separately and adding the beans later
Old 04-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Beth...

One ham hock per ham. 1/2 hog = 1 ham = 1 ham hock
Is/was it a smoked/cured hock or a 'fresh" one?

It sure is a nice size one. Usually hocks that are sold in grocery stores are no bigger than your fist(or smalller) and mostly skin/bone and some meat.

No matter it will be good. My instincts just said Red Beans and rice when I read your first post. Ya know sausage, louisiana hot sauce, french bread, some red wine etc.

Enjoy and Stay Warm!

Old 04-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Mr Bob,

Thanks for the hock numbers! This sucker is smoked. It looks like it started to be cut in two pieces, but never happened.

Since I am a northen kind of girl, I am planning on using the cannelini beans.

Here is a picture of the hock, with a quart measuring cup for scale. It's going to take a sizeable kettle to simmer this baby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hock (2).JPG
Views:	143
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	2652  
Old 04-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Beth....

Thats a very nice hock. Looks like there will be enough for a Southern visitor!! Cannelini, white kidney, great northern, navy, which ever. They're all cousins and will be good. Everything else being equal I doubt anyone could tell the difference blindfolded anyway. A few shots of Bourbon and some Tabasco and I'm good to go!!

Enjoy!!

Old 04-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Beth, you will get plenty of meat offa that hock. When you shred the meat to add back to pot, save some out for your red kidney beans for red beans and rice later!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I like to trim off the thickest fatty part on the outside off before cooking.Alot of people dont do this.Its up to you.

Tags
None