How many kinds of rice are in your pantry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have three types of rices in my pantry

parboiled rice for daily meal
Gobindabhog (basmati short grain)
Dehradun rice (basmati long grain)

Some of the responses have cracked me up, in the best ways possible. I, too, wonder why people say wild rice isn't really rice, it is a grass. I've seen how wild rice is grown and harvested, and how "regular"s , and they both seem to me to be seeds on grass. Oh, well.

LUVS, you crack me up. My daddy hates rice, just hates it. BUT he loves sushi, in ever way,shape and form. Maybe that it is exotic? I don't know; but he loves sushi. So many think that sushi is all about raw fish, but it is really about the rice (sushi can be without raw fish, as a matter of fact, while that is the norm, sushi can have a lot of other kinds of meat, and eggs, and any number of ingredients, but always, when I've had it,has rice). People do confuse shashimi with sushi. I'll go for both.

Whether at home, or out on the town, one of my favorite rice preparations is chirashi zushi, translated "trash sushi" - a bowl of sushi rice with chef's choice of julienne'd ingredients, either topped or tossed, usually egg, nori seaweed, carrot and shiitake mushroom cooked in soy, maybe a sprinkle of salmon roe. And, odd cuts that didn't make it to the sushi or sashimi plate. It is always a great value.

For all of you who like sushi, I have the following few "expert" tips:

• Used as a compound word, the correct pronunciation is "-zushi," so for egg for example, it's "tamago-zushi."
  • Speaking of, if egg sushi is your very first order, it is a coded signal that you expect the chef to serve only his/her A-game creations. If you subsequently ask for X-fish, and the chef politely suggests you try Y-fish instead, you must thank him/her and accept. It is a coded signal that X-fish that night is not quite up to the chef's highest expectation.
  • For the most fun experience at a sushi counter, nod your head and say, "o-ma-ka-se." Roughly, it means, "I surrender to your discrection." The chef will keep you well fed and engage you in playful banter. You must try whatever he/she serves, though you are free to return a dish which does not agree with you. Usually, you will be served at least one baked/grilled fish dish.
  • The proper way to end a sushi meal is to acknowledge the chef and say, "a-ga-ri," which translated is "stand up," and is a request for a final cup of hot green tea.
Claire,
I think it's the added flavor for your Dad. A lot of people don't care for rice, but they like it with, say a pad of butter, or milk and sugar, or mixed with beans, or bubbling with sofritto and saffron. Like you and your Dad, I especially like rice flavored with sugar and rice vinegar.

I have short grain white, short grain brown, sushi rice, medium grain brown, brown basmati, white basmati, and forbidden rice (the purple kind)

My teenager/manchild is eating me out of house and home, does anyone know where I can get a good price on 25 Lbs of brown rice?

I've been buying mine at Costco lately. Organic short grain brown rice, I think the bag size is 20#, price around $1.40/lb, which is the cheapest I've found around here, even compared to conventionally grown.

I've been buying mine at Costco lately. Organic short grain brown rice, I think the bag size is 20#, price around $1.40/lb, which is the cheapest I've found around here, even compared to conventionally grown.
Thanks Russell, you are a peach:)

Right now I only have a premium short grain. Sometimes I will have basmati or a short grain sweet rice.

Right now, I have long grain, Basmati and Arborio rice. I usually have brown rice but we're out right now.

I have Thai jasmine rice, glutinous rice and brown rice, sometimes sushi rice.

White long grain and basmati i always keep stocked. In addition, at this moment I have arborio, and 2 other kinds sent to me by my friend to brazil ( one is a deep black/ purple color)

I have long grain white, jasmine, arborio, brown(long grain), and basmati. Oh, and some boil in the bag kind... for those nights I'm in a hurry and need it quick. :) I was actually a little shocked to realize I had this many packages of rice. LOL

Without looking:
Jasmine
Arborio
Long grain white
Long grain brown
Basmati
Brown and wild mix
Several packages of saffron rice from Mahatma
1 package of Mahatma's Spanish rice
Coulple of instant rissottos from Lundbergs
Red bean and rice mixes and other assorted from Zatarains
Instant white and instant brown

no wonder my pantry is full.

Uncle Ben's

In my kitchen cupboard is:

Uncle Ben's Instant Rice (long grain rice)

Uncle Ben's Instant Brown Rice

Back
Top Bottom