"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
Sous Chef

How to fix undercooked barley

I just made some pearl barley (first time trying it) and it is undercooked I followed the directions...1 cup barley simmered in 3 cups water for 60 minutes. The barley tastes like it's undercooked. Is it okay to add more water and reheat? If so how much?

Old 04-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Take about a half cup and put it in a smaller saucepan. Cover with water and see how it cooks. If it is all right, then cook the rest the same way.

Next time soak the barley overnight and you won't have this problem of guessing.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Take about a half cup and put it in a smaller saucepan. Cover with water and see how it cooks. If it is all right, then cook the rest the same way.

Next time soak the barley overnight and you won't have this problem of guessing.
Thanks Addie. I'll give it a try right now.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

How do you know if it's done correctly? Is it supposed to have a chewy consistency?
Old 04-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

It's a matter of texture. There should be some bite to the barley but not so much that is tiresome to eat it.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
Master Chef

It does. Not hard, but it doesn't get soft like noodles or beans either. I think its "done" texture is similar to wild rice, only bigger and round. ~ Hope this helps.

BTW, next time you cook barley, test a few grains as it gets close to the end of cooking time. If it isn't done enough for you, keep checking every five minutes until it is. My last batch of barley took an extra half hour or so before I was happy.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's a matter of texture. There should be some bite to the barley but not so much that is tiresome to eat it.
Exactly. I always soak my barley overnight. Then add it to my beef stew in the slow cooker. That means about four to five hours of cooking. I could cook it even longer and it will still have that little bite in the center. That is what you are looking for. You shouldn't have to grind it with your teeth.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
Master Chef

KG, how do you plan to use it? Barley is wonderful for home made soup but a lot can go wrong there if you add too much to the soup and end up with a glob of barley.
Pre cooking your barley like you did puts you ahead of the game. Just finish the barley while simmering your home made beef, or chicken or vegetable soup.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:22 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You might know barley from canned soup, it's normally really soft. I prefer mine with a bit of "chew". And as Kayelle advised, if you're using it in soup, don't add too much barley! Been there, done that, and ended up with barley gruel.

Cooked barley freezes well.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
You might know barley from canned soup, it's normally really soft. I prefer mine with a bit of "chew". And as Kayelle advised, if you're using it in soup, don't add too much barley! Been there, done that, and ended up with barley gruel.

Cooked barley freezes well.
Oh yeah! I love lamb stew with barley. Or was that barley with lamb? Either way, all the broth was in the barley.

Tags
barley, cook, how to