"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 12-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
rice was a headache for me too, the first thing that I had to learn was to ignore the package instructions and turn the heat down.

Here is my tried and true method.

Preheat a saucepan to medium, add a tablespoon or so of olive oil, veg oil or butter. Add 1 cup of rice cook stirring constantly until the rice starts to look white and chalky. Add 1 1/2 cups water and a few pinches of salt and bring to a boil, cover with a tightly fitting lid and turn the heat to LOW and let cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leave covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve.

I find that keeping the heat low and using a nice heavy bottomed pan keeps rice from burning, I also don't have issues with sticking, and I don't use non-stick.

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
Head Chef
Could be that you need to switch the brand or type of rice you are cooking. What kind have you tried?

vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #13
Senior Cook
You can cook!!

Rice is a real pain .I have been useing a pressure cooker with good results.My rice was allways gummy and as you said no amount of seasoning or liquid could save this mess.You only need a basic pressure cooker, and it's alot more usefull than a rice cooker.
wanna be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #14
Master Chef
i'm very glad i dislike most rice! i've attended culnary school, returning soon, & we students were to cook pilaf often, either barley or rice. often, those were watery, or there wasn't enough stock in them, or they wouldn't fluff well, or they were over-seasoned..... easy-peasy recipe, too..... onion, sauteed, rice coated in the fat the onion was cooked in, double the amount of chix stock, chix base in one class & not another, bayleaf, cumin, wht. pepper, salt. cover with foil, bake, fluff in a bowl. adjusted my seasoning & after Chef approved, to the table that went for the others, or to the trashcan! rice is kinda finicky for many of us! doesn't mean ya cannot cook, just not great at 1 food. there's several foods i won't fuss with. & that's with 2 years of formal schooling!
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:55 AM   #15
Executive Chef
For 2/3 of the world, rice is a daily staple, and rice or other similar grain is cooked about weekly for most of the other 1/3.

Basic White Rice doesn't have to be difficult. It's boiled/steamed until it's done.

While I lived in the Marianna Islands, my Philippino neighbor told me, while complaining about her new granddaughter-in-law, "What ruins most rice is impatience and lack of attention."
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #16
Head Chef
I have a microwave rice cooker, which cost about $5 and is spot on everytime . Before this I had a rice steamer ( about $40 ) which was also spot on every time.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:20 AM   #17
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by Ghuraba View Post
Hello...I have just accepted the fact that I can't cook and it is not something that comes natural to me.

I just made rice and its horrible...as usual...the rice got all stuck to the pot...the rice is mushy...there is no taste to it even though I put salt...and then I put more and its the same...I'm just no good with cooking at all...

Any advice?
you are at right track. it is good forum, read other threads also, helps you a lot.
jessicafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #18
Assistant Cook
If you are cooking rice please check the "Cooking time" of the rice you bought.I used to get into similar issue, when I try out a new brand of rice.My method is as follows.

1)Wash the dry rice well atleast 2 times.
2) Soak it in water for 30 mins to one hour (Optional.It helps to reduce the preperation time thus saving energy)
3) Start boilling the rice in the same vessel.
4)Keep checking the status every 5 minutes to see if it is done.
5)Make sure sufficent water is there always.
6) Remove the excess water finally.
7) You can use this water as rice soup and I love it with some salt.
kannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:29 AM   #19
Senior Cook
How to Cheat

but first, i'll tell you how to cook it right.

as others have mentioned, 1 part rice to 1 1/2 parts water is the standard ratio, plus a little salt and maybe butter. follow the recipe on your rice package though, as different kinds of rice can vary somewhat.

bring the water to a boil, add the rice & salt, bring it back to a full boil and give it a stir to make sure none has clumped together. turn the heat down so that it's barely simmering and put the lid on. after this point, it's important NOT to STIR the rice any more. as the water level reduces, it leaves little vents that allow the water below to steam the rice above. if you stir after this point, there's no way for the water below to reach all the rice above, leaving the rice above under-cooked and the rice below mushy. ideally, the rice will be just perfectly cooked when the last of the water evaporates at the bottom.

time will give you an approximate result, but not necessarily perfect. you may want to visually check the bottom by inserting a chop stick or butter knife along the side of the pan down to the bottom and open a small vent, disturbing the rice as little as possible, to see if the water is gone. if so , let it sit with the lid on for about 5 minutes and then it's ready to fluff and serve. another way to tell if the water is gone, is to listen near the bottom of the pan for a "crackling" sound. this will start after the water is gone. if at this point, the rice is over- or undercooked, adjust the mount of water next time. it should be about right with the standard ratio, though.

it takes practice to get the usual method down, so...

ok. How to Cheat

this way of cooking is sometimes used in restaurants. approach cooking rice as though it were pasta, using perhaps 2 or 3 times the usual amount of water. check it from time to time, and when the rice is cooked al the way through, strain it well immediately, place it in a shallow baking pan , season with salt & butter and fluff, cover with aluminum foil, and leave it in a warm oven for 10 minutes or so before serving. it's also a convenient way to make pilaf by adding some shopped green onion and parsely.

hope this points you in the right direction. good luck in the future.
let me make sure that wine's ok before i use it.
philso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #20
You never mentioned what kind of rice you are cooking that has a lot to do with it. I cook rice almost daily and I use basmatti. If thats what you use I can teach you how to make it perfect.

My cooking site: http://yasalamcooking.com/

'Beauty without grace is the hook without the bait.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
x7anooonah is offline   Reply With Quote