"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Head Chef

ISO Stuffing Help/Recipe

ok, formulating a plan here for thanksgiving. I have actually only done Thanksgiving once about 10 years ago. I'm looking for some help with a stuffing recipe. I have gotten a few ideas, but just can't pin point what I want to do. Let me know your thoughts, how you make it, and recipes or if I'm interested in learning more after hearing from you, I can request the recipe than. thanks, : )

oh and out of the turkey stuffing please.
I got some plans/recipes for everything else pretty much.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanksgiving being a holiday of tradition and family, I always make the stuffing recipe on the Bell's Seasoning box because it's the one my mom made and I love it.

It's a basic sage stuffing that can be modified with the addition of sausage or added veggies.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I only made stuffing one time and I cheated the heck out of it.
I sautéed some diced green peppers and onions in butter, then mixed with a box of stovetop turkey, added some broth in place of the water and baked it beside my turkey pieces. Worked for me only cooking for one. Not exactly tradition though.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I picked up this idea here on DC years ago and it's become the family favorite. First off I order 4 loaves of uncut bread 2 wheat and 2 white. Trim the crusts and then dice into cubes. This is a must for us my kids do not like dry bread for the stuffing. Leave the bread out in a big bowl tossing it as it dries It needent be super dry . The next day we continue with our stuffing, sauteed celery,onion, sauteed mushrooms, warm chicken stock, a slight touch of sauteed garlic, melted butter. If interested I'll be glad to figure approximate amounts for you. This takes some time but it's well worth it the taste is heaven.it
isn't as fussy as it reads
kadesma
Old 11-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I use the dry bread cubes (Pepperidge Farm or whatever brand), sautee onions and celery in butter, pour chicken stock or broth and more melted butter over all, and mix it up with a healthy dose of poultry seasoning. I let it sit in the fridge overnight (you don't have to), then I cook it in the microwave. You can do it in the oven too.

You can also cut up your own bread cubes from any bread, I like the convenience of the package.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I make wild rice stuffing because that is the family tradition. It is totally made by "taste" and feel.

A quick search on the Internet, and ours is similar to this one:

Wild Rice Stuffing with Hazelnuts and Dried Cranberries Recipe at Epicurious.com

Except I cook the wild rice 2:1 ratio for wild to white or brown, 3:1 water first. I add celery (if my brother isn't going to eat it), sage, rosemary, thyme, poultry seasoning. I use turkey broth instead of chicken (homemade). I also use a combination of dry and fresh bread. Instead of hazelnuts, I use pecans and use 1/2 dried and 1/2 fresh cranberries. If I don't have dried cranberries, I use apples. I like to use a combination of different fresh mushrooms and I will saute them first. (I don't know why the text turned bold after I pasted the link--it would not let me remove it--sorry).

Old 11-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Everymom

I have onion haters in our crowd. I use bread cubes, a very healthy dose of onion powder, a big dose of poultry seasoning, and then I soften with milk, not broth. (Sometimes with cream if I have some to use up) Do you need amounts?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I use the dry bread cubes (Pepperidge Farm or whatever brand), sautee onions and celery in butter, pour chicken stock or broth and more melted butter over all, and mix it up with a healthy dose of poultry seasoning. I let it sit in the fridge overnight (you don't have to), then I cook it in the microwave. You can do it in the oven too.

You can also cut up your own bread cubes from any bread, I like the convenience of the package.

that is my recipe to a t. however tonights stuffing is a mix.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Celery! Yeah, I used celery, not green pepper. Good thing I'm reading this. Sometimes I need my memory jarred.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo

that is my recipe to a t. however tonights stuffing is a mix.
I love it. My grandma and my mom made it the same way. But there's nothing wrong with a little Stovetop! (no peppers, right, Pac!)

Tags
None