"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: How to you make your mac and cheese?
I bake mine all of the time 5 35.71%
I prefer stove top mac and cheese 3 21.43%
Either/or. Depends on my mood 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2019, 01:37 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Mac & Cheese: oven? or stovetop?

The "4 Levels of Mac and Cheese" thread got me to thinking of the various versions I've made over the years. Except for the early "Kraft Dinner" version, all of my mac and cheese dishes have been baked in the oven. Except for one. About a dozen years ago, back when I was doing plays at the local community theatre, we had a discussion about mac-and-cheese. I had recently seen an article about the excellent stove top one that Zingermans Roadside Deli (Ann Arbor, MI) would make. If it was that good, I had to make it! Himself and I even drove up to Grafton Village Cheese, a two-and-a-half-hour trip each way from our house, to get the requisite two-year-old raw milk cheddar. Spent a ton of time lovingly preparing all of the ingredients (or at least it seemed that way), cooked it according to the recipe, and plated it. Took one look at the spreading blob on the plate and said "this is special?". The milks separated from the cheese, giving it a greasy mouth feel. The sauce really didn't cling to the pasta. It was meh.

However, if you're interested in trying the Zingerman recipe, you can find it here: Zingerman's Mac and Cheese Recipe

Do you make your mac & cheese in the oven or on the stove top?

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:44 AM   #2
Master Chef

I assume you are asking if we "finish" the mac-n-cheese in the oven? It always seems to be started on the stovetop.

I personally prefer mac-n-cheese that is finished by baking in the oven. It is firmer, and I like the crusty parts -- same as with lasagna, I like the corner servings.

CD

Old 02-25-2019, 01:56 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

casey, that's exactly what I meant. It would be really tough getting that sauce stirred just right if it was fully prepared in the oven. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes to the crusty bits of mac & cheese or the almost burnt cheese on top of lasagna. I bow out, though, when it comes to brownie corners. Not a fan; I prefer the middle. Which works out perfectly in our house: Himself loves the edges, I get the middle. Win-Win!

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:23 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
However, if you're interested in trying the Zingerman recipe, you can find it here: Zingerman's Mac and Cheese Recipe
On the rare occasion that I make it, I prefer my mac and cheese baked.

I used to live in Belleville MI, and wasn’t far from Zingerman’s. Love their bread, especially their chocolate cherry bread!

If I were to make their mac and cheese recipe, I’d add a bit of soft cheese to help the cheese and milk come together. Ricotta, cream cheese, maybe even Brie?
Old 02-25-2019, 02:47 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Browsing through mac and cheese recipes on google, I came across one in which the macaroni is cooked in milk! Is this weird?

Here’s the link to the recipe
Old 02-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Took one look at the spreading blob on the plate and said "this is special?". The milks separated from the cheese, giving it a greasy mouth feel. The sauce really didn't cling to the pasta. It was meh.

Do you make your mac & cheese in the oven or on the stove top?

The Zingerman's recipe has you add the Mornay sauce to a screaming hot pan with olive oil in it. Cheese separates and/or gets grainy with high heat. Plus it doesn't seem like their methodology would allow for the emulsification of the oil added at the end.

Our Stop and Shop sells Grafton Village cheese, although maybe not the specific one you used.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
Master Chef

Make it on the stove and then bake in the oven with buttered crumbs on top
Old 02-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Our favorite way is to bake it in the oven. But before we do, we put slices of tomato on top and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Have been making it that way for almost 50 years. For me, that is my favorite way of eating mac n' cheese. Of course we have made quite a lot of other recipes in that time, but none ever called for the tomatoes.
cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Browsing through mac and cheese recipes on google, I came across one in which the macaroni is cooked in milk! Is this weird?

Here’s the link to the recipe
Hmm - odd assembly but it looks like a riff on this recipe which is amazing.

No-Boil Mac and Cheese

For this one, you don't boil the pasta which means less dish washing ;)
Old 02-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I prefer stovetop Mac and cheese. I don’t like baked pasta dishes in general because of the hard and crunchy pasta parts. Pasta is supposed to be soft.

Lately I’ve been using the Serious Eats three ingredient Mac and cheese recipe and I like it.

Tags
cheese, oven, recipe, stove

Mac & Cheese: oven? or stovetop? The "[URL="http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/4-levels-of-mac-and-cheese-amateur-to-food-scientist-epicurious-101723.html#post1585380"][B]4 Levels of Mac and Cheese[/B][/URL]" thread got me to thinking of the various versions I've made over the years. Except for the early "Kraft Dinner" version, all of my mac and cheese dishes have been baked in the oven. Except for one. About a dozen years ago, back when I was doing plays at the local community theatre, we had a discussion about mac-and-cheese. I had recently seen an article about the excellent stove top one that Zingermans Roadside Deli (Ann Arbor, MI) would make. If it was that good, I had to make it! Himself and I even drove up to [URL="http://www.graftonvillagecheese.com/"]Grafton Village Cheese[/URL], a two-and-a-half-hour trip each way from our house, to get the requisite two-year-old raw milk cheddar. Spent a ton of time lovingly preparing all of the ingredients (or at least it seemed that way), cooked it according to the recipe, and plated it. Took one look at the spreading blob on the plate and said "this is special?". :lol: The milks separated from the cheese, giving it a greasy mouth feel. The sauce really didn't cling to the pasta. It was meh. However, if you're interested in trying the Zingerman recipe, you can find it here: [URL="https://www.metroparent.com/daily/food-home/kid-friendly-recipes/macaroni-cheese-recipe-zingermans/"][B]Zingerman's Mac and Cheese Recipe[/B][/URL] Do you make your mac & cheese in the oven or on the stove top? 3 stars 1 reviews