"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I make barley pilaf on occassion...just subbing cooked barley for rice.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraidKnot
It's a variation of McEwan... I can trace my family back to 1679, the battle of Bothwell Bridge. We were captured :)

Lamb stew is just like beef stew. Just cut some lamb into chunks and add some barley. It's what you carry in your sprorran!

Jillian
Most 'lamb' stews in Scotland started out as mutton stews. Lamb was always considered too fine a meat to stew - although I obviously stew it nowadays cos mutton is harder to come by!

My family have never left Scotland (well, branches did... to Canada, Australia and New Zealand, mostly..... as did so many Scots)

Old 10-12-2006, 08:45 AM   #13
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
True, mutton was cheaper. I have a hard time finding mutton in the States :) My father's ancestors arrived here in 1679, landed at Perth Amboy, NJ. My mom's parents arrived around 1919. We're all Scottish :D

Speaking of lamb, I got a couple of nice lamb loin chops at the grocery store yesterday and I'll be grilling today.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:23 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I won't get into the 'You are an American of Scots ancestry, not a Scot argument..'

I had lamb gigot chops for dinner last night with chappit tatties and bashed neeps, a little redcurrant gravy and brussel sprouts. YUM
Old 10-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #15
Senior Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I won't get into the 'You are an American of Scots ancestry, not a Scot argument..'

I had lamb gigot chops for dinner last night with chappit tatties and bashed neeps, a little redcurrant gravy and brussel sprouts. YUM
Of course I'm an American but heh... I can pronounce Kirkintillach! When we were at the motel in Dickeyville, WI, the proprietess was Scottish and she thought I was Scottish. In fact, weird as it may sound, when we did a show in Highland, Illinois, a waitress at the diner took one look at me and offered me tea rather than coffee. I looked at John and said, "What was that about?" He said, "You look Scottish". Huh. I had no idea Scots had a certain "look"!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraidKnot
Of course I'm an American but heh... I can pronounce Kirkintillach! When we were at the motel in Dickeyville, WI, the proprietess was Scottish and she thought I was Scottish. In fact, weird as it may sound, when we did a show in Highland, Illinois, a waitress at the diner took one look at me and offered me tea rather than coffee. I looked at John and said, "What was that about?" He said, "You look Scottish". Huh. I had no idea Scots had a certain "look"!
Well, it's really KirkintillOch! And I am unaware that there's a Scottish look.... some of us (like me) are what are thought of as typical Scots, ie fair skin, freckles and red hair. But then my Dad had blue black hair - a kind of black Scots (but then he was a highlander).. and my mum was a strawberry blonde. My sister is just a mousey-brown. We honestly come in all shapes, sizes and colourings. I think there is a lot of Brigadoonery about Scotland the Scots from those abroad!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I also really like pearl barley.Last week I made a vegetable beef soup with beef shanks and bone marrow dumplings made with the marrow of the beef shanks I then added some barley instead of the green spelt the recipe calls for and which I dont have and it turned out great.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #18
Senior Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Well, it's really KirkintillOch!
OCH! Aye! Grandba Brown was from Kirkintilloch and Grandma (Douglas) Brown was from Twechar. One of these days I'll be over for a visit. BTW, I don't know what "look" Scots have, either. It was just weird the waitress immediately offered me tea rather than asking if I wanted coffee.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:01 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
I also really like pearl barley.Last week I made a vegetable beef soup with beef shanks and bone marrow dumplings made with the marrow of the beef shanks I then added some barley instead of the green spelt the recipe calls for and which I dont have and it turned out great.
Sounds like a good soup, jpmcgrew! The weather is getting colder and certainly wetter, or as we say 'driech'.... soup is great for this sort of weather and your recipe sounds ort of like Scotch broth (without the addition of the dumplings).
Old 10-18-2006, 08:15 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Barley can also be cooked like a risotto.
One addition I love in my lamb stew is turnips.

Tags
None