"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-23-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Rice leftover?

how long does leftover rice stay in the fridge?

I read something that said a day or so..

I like to use leftover rice to make beans and rice several days after or to make stir fried rice.. is cold rice still ok for several days?

thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

rice leftover?

I've kept leftover rice from a Chinese restaurant meal in the fridge for a few days. I usually freeze the leftover brown rice I've made in the rice cooker after a few days too.

I usually freeze or pitch it after 3 days.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
how long does leftover rice stay in the fridge?

I read something that said a day or so..

I like to use leftover rice to make beans and rice several days after or to make stir fried rice.. is cold rice still ok for several days?

thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.
I'd use it within 2, maybe 3 days as long as it's kept cold. Leftover rice is perfect for a fried rice dish. Chopped and sautéed green peppers, onions, scrambled eggs, and a little soy sauce and you have a nice little leftover dinner using your rice...maybe add some sautéed shrimp to put it over the top.

Also good for a beans and rice dish, as you mentioned. If you think you won't use it before 3 days, I'd go ahead and freeze it for future meals.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:36 AM   #4
Executive Chef

As we've said elsewhere, be VERY careful with cooling, storage and re-heating of left-over cooked rice and to be extra, extra careful, I wouldn't
feed it to very young children or anyone with a compromised immune system. However, as Cheryl says it freezes well. It re-heats in the m/wave from frozen or you can make fried rice, etc., with it.

Don't use it for risotto or paella, as a magazine article suggested the other day. Start from scratch with raw rice for those. Much better.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Rice leftover

If you have leftover cooked risotto rice, you can make supplì al telefono, add saffron to the rice, and grated parmesan, put a cube of mozzarella in the middle, form into balls, coat with egg and breadcrumbs and deep fry. Or you could make arancini, make large (tennis ball size) balls of rice, fill with bolognese sauce with peas in and parmesan cheese, form into large balls, egg them and breadcrumb them and deep fry.

For basmati rice you can make a rice salad, with, say mixed beans, spring onions, roasted cherry tomatoes, chopped parsley, mint and basil, dress with olive oil and lemon and serve as a side dish.

salutoni

di reston

Tags
rice