"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-12-2006, 01:53 PM   #11
Executive Chef

there are pastas made form polenta (corn) and Quinoa as well as rice and other grains. You will find less starch than wheat flours. Also, the spaghetti squash...very nice when you get the hang of cooking it.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I bought some spaghetti squash yesterday.

~Corey123.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:19 PM   #13
Head Chef

My dad's been a diabetic since he was 10 so I know the diet we ate our whole lives and it never cut out foods. He simply follows the serving sizes that are on the packages or in the recipes and then monitors his glucose from there. He also knows how many of each catagory he can have (like 2 starches, 3 proteins, etc...). He recently (3 years) qualified for "the pump" and it is a miracle machine. BUT it has also made his moderation more important. I'm pretty sure he would be the first to tell anyone that cutting out a food completing isn't the wisest thing to do any more than eating what ever you wanted. Just another perspective ...
Old 06-12-2006, 04:45 PM   #14
Executive Chef

We can still have and enjoy some of the foods we've been eating for years.

But like you said, the key word is moderatiuon. Everything in moderation. It's as though you were only dieting to lose weight and didn't have diabetes. You'd STILL have to eat or drink those dangerous things only in small amounts and not all the time - in moderation only.

You can eat a piece of bread and a small portion of starch or a small slice of cake, but the rule is still modreation. Eat too much or all of either and;

1. You'll send your blood glucose level up higher than you expect.

2. You'll fill yourself up, but without the nutritious advantages that come with veggies and grains, and;

#. Hence, you'll gain weight, which is what you are trying to avoid in the first place.

~Corey123.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Tofu shirataki noodles.
http://hungry-girl.com/askhg/askhgdetails.php?isid=769

(Scroll down)
Old 06-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #16
Master Chef

Corey, here's the way I cook my spaghetti squash, using olive oil:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1650,...228202,00.html
Old 06-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #17
Executive Chef

That's a great idea, Constance, ecept for one thing.

Haven't they heard of microwave ovens that come with their own turntables now? I'm sure that just about every household in America has one (mine has one, also).

So why turn the bowl manually when the unit's turntable does this automatically?

But I'm going to try it nonetheless.

~Corey123.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
That's a great idea, Constance, ecept for one thing.

Haven't they heard of microwave ovens that come with their own turntables now? I'm sure that just about every household in America has one (mine has one, also).

So why turn the bowl manually when the unit's turntable does this automatically?

But I'm going to try it nonetheless.

~Corey123.
Corey, this recipe is probably older than you are. Just forget the part about turning the bowl.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

starch-free pasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Does anyone know if there is such a thing?

I've been recently diagnosed with borderline diabetes, and I was wondering if there is such a thing as starch-free pasta. That is, pasta that's made with no flour or starch.

I DO know that there's whole-wheat pasta, but I think there's still a large amount of flour (starch) that's used in the manufacturing process.

I've never heard of it, but I thought I ask to see if there really is such a thing. Thank you for any help that you can give.

~Corey123.
Hi Corey, My husband is diabetic & there is a rice-based pasta that I cook for him. it's called "Nottapasta". There may be more than one brand to choose from, but this one is available at our gourmet supermarket. His doctor says rice-based pasta is fine for him.It may be fine for you, also. wills 53
Old 07-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Ingredients and Nutrition Facts for Notta Pasta
Ingredients: Rice, water
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 2 ounces
Servings per container: 8

Amount Per ServingCalories: 200Calories from Fat: 0
Total Carbohydrates 48g

Dietary Fiber 2g

Not a significant source of calories from fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, sugar, vitamin A and vitamin C. There are still 48g carbs in a 2 oz. serving, which according to DH's diabetic education nurse equals 3 servings carbs, even after you subtract the 2g carbs that are fiber. Regular elbow macaroni has 42g carbs (40g after fiber is subtracted) for the same size serving. A whole wheat blend pasta has 42g carbs per 2 oz. serving, but has 6g fiber. After you subtract out the fiber, you are left with 36g carbs, which is 2 1/2 servings of carbs. If you really want to cut the carbs, spaghetti squash is the way to go. I thought I saw in one of thses posts that spaghetti squash has 7g carbs (serving size?) which equals 1/2 serving of carbs. Carbs are carbs. Veggies and fruit have carbs too. The important thing is to make good choices most of the time, choosing carbs that contain more than "empty" calories.

To get this to post I had to edit out some of the nutrition info. You can see all of it at http://www.nottapasta.com/nottapastanutrition.cfm

Tags
None