Have to learn to make Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks bliss, I'll check it out.
Yes, I mean the powder, you mix with water.
Don't remember if I ever used vinegar with it, maybe.
And yes, it is very hot!
You need to let it sit for at least a good hour, if not longer, before using.

I haven't made any in a while, but make German mustard, a blackberry mustard that is fantastic with pork, Cajun mustard, and hot mustard.

Bliss is right. If you just mix mustard powder with a bit of vinegar and water, you will feel like Ghost Rider if you use or even taste just a bit as soon as you make it. BTDT and you can be sure I won't do it again. It took several hours to calm down to a point it could be used.

I remember that Thread now. Thanks again Bliss! It was interesting but I never got around to doing anything ab out it - like many if not all of my interests! LOL

I saw an episode with a guy called Joe Faro making tagliatelle? Episode 3001 was that it.
That's it. Pasta dough is pasta dough is pasta dough. You make the dough, then go from there to make the kind you want.

I use the food processor to make my dough and rarely make it the traditional way. Just use the pulse feature and don't put all the flour in. Just get the dough ball to form, then knead in flour as needed.

Last edited:
We're watching the Saturday morning cooking shows. They are making pasta and Ragu from scratch. Recipes with video.

In the tagliatele written recipe they run the dough through several times but not through the cutter, no mention of cutting it by hand either. They let it sit for 30 minutes then go straight to cooking it.

In the tagliatele written recipe they run the dough through several times but not through the cutter, no mention of cutting it by hand either. They let it sit for 30 minutes then go straight to cooking

He dusted with flour, rolled it up, then cut it with a knife in what we watched. I just watched the start of the clip to make sure it was the same episode we watched. Guess they didn't show everything.

He dusted with flour, rolled it up, then cut it with a knife in what we watched. I just watched the start of the clip to make sure it was the same episode we watched. Guess they didn't show everything.
I'm just saying that whoever wrote it up skipped a step. I didn't watch it.

I couldn't find it when I looked before, but finally did. Our recipe for spinach-garlic pasta with a Marsala onion sauce. Posts 8 and 9.

See above. I edited my post.
Please don't take this personally this is just one chef critiquing another closely considering it's out there to demonstrate how to make pasta.

Ok, I'm not too sure Joe was the same person that wrote that recipe but both the written recipe and Joe's technique leaves a lot to be desired.

He used whole eggs and put nothing else in the flour, yet the recipe when you look at the directions it says to add the yolk and whole eggs, obviously it's a combination of both, which is quite popular, plus evoo and a 1/2 cup of warm water and some salt. Plus an extra 2 tsp's of water but that never gets mentioned in the directions. As well as a 1/2 cup of warm water, why? makes no sense.

Also when making pasta the general rule of thumb is for every 100g's of flour you add 1 egg so 3 cups of flour they call for 3 eggs. The problem here is depending on how you handle the flour a cup a flour can have different weights and why it's always recommended to weight the flour out. This is where the 2 tsp's of water would normally come into play. Because the weight can fluctuate when using cups it may require a little water to bring the dough together. Unfortunately that whole methodology just got lost but they put in the 2 tsp's as if they thought they should because maybe they read it somewhere but obviously didn't really know why.

Ok, sorry I just can't let this slide. When Joe starting bringing the dough together he proceeded to fold the dough over upon itself and then pushed down on it and repeatedly did this and actually explained why he did it, yeah, no, not in any kitchen let alone anywhere in Italy would you see someone make pasta dough like that. He just handled the dough like it was his first time making pasta.

The dough he produced was far too wet and kept incorporating more flour into his dough and then when he rolled the dough it was literally covered in flour and was too soft and thick. then he just unrolled it and dropped the pasta in the water without letting the pasta rest for a period of time. There's more but I'll stop there. The whole demo was a tragic mess. Of course this is just my opinion and if he was in my kitchen I would have delegated him to the dish pit and kept him away from the food.

Please don't take this personally this is just one chef critiquing another closely considering it's out there to demonstrate how to make pasta.

Ok, I'm not too sure Joe was the same person that wrote that recipe but both the written recipe and Joe's technique leaves a lot to be desired.

He used whole eggs and put nothing else in the flour, yet the recipe when you look at the directions it says to add the yolk and whole eggs, obviously it's a combination of both, which is quite popular, plus evoo and a 1/2 cup of warm water and some salt. Plus an extra 2 tsp's of water but that never gets mentioned in the directions. As well as a 1/2 cup of warm water, why? makes no sense.

Also when making pasta the general rule of thumb is for every 100g's of flour you add 1 egg so 3 cups of flour they call for 3 eggs. The problem here is depending on how you handle the flour a cup a flour can have different weights and why it's always recommended to weight the flour out. This is where the 2 tsp's of water would normally come into play. Because the weight can fluctuate when using cups it may require a little water to bring the dough together. Unfortunately that whole methodology just got lost but they put in the 2 tsp's as if they thought they should because maybe they read it somewhere but obviously didn't really know why.

Ok, sorry I just can't let this slide. When Joe starting bringing the dough together he proceeded to fold the dough over upon itself and then pushed down on it and repeatedly did this and actually explained why he did it, yeah, no, not in any kitchen let alone anywhere in Italy would you see someone make pasta dough like that. He just handled the dough like it was his first time making pasta.

The dough he produced was far too wet and kept incorporating more flour into his dough and then when he rolled the dough it was literally covered in flour and was too soft and thick. then he just unrolled it and dropped the pasta in the water without letting the pasta rest for a period of time. There's more but I'll stop there. The whole demo was a tragic mess. Of course this is just my opinion and if he was in my kitchen I would have delegated him to the dish pit and kept him away from the food.
A lot of web sites don't write recipes well. I posted mainly for the video. I don't weigh the flour for pasta. MOST home cooks in the U.S. don't. That's why I don't use all the flour at first. I and many others cook the pasta as soon as it's cut/shaped, without letting it sit and dry. That's the whole point of making FRESH pasta, and I'm not making pasta for restaurant patrons to eat hours after the pasta is made.

I'll bet he would find things to critique regarding your restaurant and methods. I'm not taking your comments personally, other than the etiquette breach of critiquing someone when they aren't around to defend themselves. And, since the guy's net worth is in the hundreds if millions of dollars, he must be doing something right...

@medtran49 I bumped the old thread with your spinach and garlic pasta recipe with a question, but in case you don't see it, do you think I could use mashed roasted garlic in that recipe instead of raw, and frozen spinach instead of fresh? It's 16F out and we have 5 inches of snow in the driveway that probably won't melt until the middle of next week when it's going to rain and be in the high 30s...so I pretty much wasn't planning on going anywhere and I have lots of time to make stuff.

Last edited:
The simple blunder of adding 1/2 cup of warm water should have been a red flag. Sorry you took it personally, that wasn't my intention. :(

it isn't cooking right, he has no discernable skill other than a face for the camera.
How do you know that? His technique may be the way his family makes pasta. How do you or anyone else know? Have you worked their line? Have you eaten there?

Not everyone makes things the same way. Just because a person makes things different than you do doesn't mean it's wrong, especially if they get a similar end result.

I don't dice onions in the traditional chef manner, but I DO dice onions in the way a respected chef does because that's the way she learned as a girl in her family's restaurant! And she and I get the same result as the traditional "correct" technique.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom