"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-11-2006, 08:44 AM   #61
Sous Chef

Velochic,
I posted an authentic doro wat recipe under African Recipes.Check it out. I got it from an Ethiopian friend.I love doro wat.hope you enjoy making it.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:37 AM   #62
Sous Chef

Sorry!! I fogot who posted the recipe. Does the berbere spice mixture differ in different countries of Africa? Many recipes call for berbere "paste". Mine's a dry mixture.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:22 AM   #63
Sous Chef

Sorry Velochic, My computer's modem had a problem so have not been able to get online. To answer your question, I have never used beriberi paste, I use the powdery spice. And I don't know any country in Africa that use Beriberi spice as their authentic spice except Ethiopia and Eritrea.I was introduced to it by an Ethiopian friend many years back. I had never heard of it before then.I had been to a few Ethiopian restaurants to eat Doro wat, but had no idea what spice they used. To make a paste out of the powder, add oil and keep stiring it to a paste, on the other hand, just spoon the beriberi powder into the food, it's bound to have the same effect once cooked.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #64
Master Chef

The Portuguese use beriberi sauce (definitely adopted from Africa), even some Hawaiians of Portuguese descent.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:25 PM   #65
Sous Chef

I dont think anyone's posted a stew like this. I call it Biafran Stew since the guy who showed me this was from Ghana. I didnt want to try at first it, but I found out the taste of the salty fish with the tomato was very much like my favorite store bought antipasto that they used to sell in stores in jars...

Biafran Stew

Start with a good stewing meat, he would use e.g. beef backbones, you could use any sort of coarser meat. Saute this in a heavy bottom pot in a little oil until the meat is fairly cooked. Add onions and sautee as well.

Add chopped tomatoes and tomatoe sauce, some garlic, then whatever vegetables you would like. I would suggest bell peppers, string beans, maybe zuccinni. Simmer this for some time e.g. 30 min.

Then add a salty fish. He would use mackeral, or sardine, I guess even anchovies would work. Simmer some more e.g 1 hr. then serve this on that traditional bread, what is it? is it made from potato flakes?

I cant recall what spices he used, obiously pepper and salt. I would suggest using thyme as well. Whatever you think is traditional. Perhaps some coriander and cumin....

enjoy. It really reminds me of Italian cooking.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:14 AM   #66
Master Chef

Actually, anchovies would probably HAVE to work around here, since salted mackerel &/or sardines are fairly nonexistent - lol.

This recipe sounds interesting, because normally I don't care much for African food, mostly because many of their dishes, even the spicy ones, call for a lot of the "sweet" spices - cinnamon, cloves, etc. - & I don't really care much for them in savory cooking.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:30 PM   #67
Sous Chef

It is a very good recipe, definitely. I found a recipe for a LIberian soup that is quite similar it is called Fish Innard Soup or some such, and it uses a mackeral as well as innards and beef. The book does not mention too many spices...

I was thinking more of the spices and would think Thyme and Bay would be available to west africa. ANother might be coriander and hot pepper flakes. I know they use coriander w/ sardines in certain meditteranean dishes.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:01 PM   #68
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to allioop108
what is tinned tomatoes?

I was looking at this recipe for chicken and one of the ingredients is tinned tomatoes. I looked up tinned tomatoes on the internet but didn't get a sufficient definition to know what am I buying. Will it say tinned tomatoe on the label? I'm getting the impression that it is supposed to be tomatoes that are in some type of sause and not water like canned tomatoes. Do I need to look for them in a specialty store?

Allen
Old 05-24-2006, 06:39 PM   #69
Master Chef

No worries - "tinned" tomatoes are the same thing as "canned" tomatoes. No difference.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #70
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to allioop108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikoni
Any African's out there? I will post my favorite chicken in coconut sauce, known in Kenya as Kuku wa Kupaka

Chicken in coconut sauce
Ok so this was the first recipe from the forum that I tried and it was very delicious. Asa matter of fact just got done cooking and eating it. Thank you for taking the time to post and can't wait to try many others.

Allen

Tags
None