"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by whole milk View Post
I love sushi.

Put me down for uni (sea urchin); any fish egg, esp ikura; squid (love the mouth feel); yellow tail; tai....

Sushi is really easy to make at home but I think you need a lot of mouthes to feed to make it worth while. Have you ever tried CHIRASHI sushi? It's like of like a bowl of rice with the sea weed, egg, and fish chopped up and sprinkled on top. Much, much easier.
I remember having the Chirashi in Fukuoka years back when I lived there and loved it.I have never found it here, but should probably make it myself. I also love the Ikura and also Ebi(prawn) sushi. Love Sashimi moriawase as well.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #22
Chief Eating Officer

Jikoni, I have often found for some unknown reason that chirashi is not listed on the menu, but if asked they will make it for you. It is worth asking next time you are craving it.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #23
Master Chef

Perhaps one of you "sushi-ites" can answer a question for me. Years ago (back in the 1980's) in an expensive NYC Japanese restaurant I was served "sea urchin", & it was a major gag-fest for me because it was the color & slimy liquid texture of a raw egg yolk. Thus I've never ordered it again.

However, these days, whenever I see a picture of sea urchin sushi, it looks like two firm little pale yellow "lobes". Is what I was offered way back when raw, & what's offered now cooked? Because that's the only thing I can think of to explain such a big difference. If it's now relatively firm, I'd be willing to give it another whirl.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

I love sushi, all of it but I think my favourite filling has got to be eel or tuna. My problem now is that I've moved to a small town and the nearest sushi places are 2 hours away. I need to find a Japanese grocery too. Anyone know the best places in Ottawa?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Jikoni, I have often found for some unknown reason that chirashi is not listed on the menu, but if asked they will make it for you. It is worth asking next time you are craving it.
Thanks GB, I will try tomorrow for lunch! It just never occurred to me to ask, I have no idea why. .
Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Perhaps one of you "sushi-ites" can answer a question for me. Years ago (back in the 1980's) in an expensive NYC Japanese restaurant I was served "sea urchin", & it was a major gag-fest for me because it was the color & slimy liquid texture of a raw egg yolk. Thus I've never ordered it again.

However, these days, whenever I see a picture of sea urchin sushi, it looks like two firm little pale yellow "lobes". Is what I was offered way back when raw, & what's offered now cooked? Because that's the only thing I can think of to explain such a big difference. If it's now relatively firm, I'd be willing to give it another whirl.
It has to do with how fresh it is. In Tokyo, I won't touch it, especially at the so called 'fast food sushi' places. It really does need to be fresh, cracked open in front of you. If you can get it like that, the meat is sweet and creamy -- it's realllllllly good. If you go scuba diving, you can get uni for free. We've done that many times. Oh, and it' really good grilled after scuba diving.

@Jikoni,
You lived in Fukuoka? What do you think of mentaiko? I love it just by itself.

I think the best thing about chrashi is that anyone can make it. For proper sushi you need some sklill to cut the fish; for chirashi you can let the kids help you cut everything up. ;)
Old 02-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #27
Master Chef

But that still doesn't answer my question. What's the difference between the liquid egg-yolk type sea urchin I had in NY & the firm cooked-looking urchin I see in restaurants these days? Was one actually raw & the others now cooked, or is there another difference?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
But that still doesn't answer my question. What's the difference between the liquid egg-yolk type sea urchin I had in NY & the firm cooked-looking urchin I see in restaurants these days? Was one actually raw & the others now cooked, or is there another difference?
The gooey stuff you ate was most probably old, not fresh, frozen and then thawed. Nicely colored uni that holds it's shape and "looks cooked" is fresh from the tank. Remember, you're looking at a picture and the picture will always be the best representation of the dish.

Cooked uni changes it's color and looks more like eel than anything else (I can think of).

Good uni will be expensive. Bad (old) uni will taste like the sea, be runny, be slimmy; frozen and thawed uni is often firmer but the color is a bit darker and will taste like the sea. Good uni will be creamy and sweet -- and expensive.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #29
Master Chef

Thanks so much!!!! That's exactly what I wanted to know. The "gooey" urchin I experienced was back in the 1980's at a very pricey uptown Manhattan, NY, restaurant when Japanese cooking & sushi in particular was just taking off. While I obviously don't recall the cost, I'm sure it was "up there". Very few of my executive "power lunches" were cheap - lol!!

I'm definitely an adventurous diner - so now will feel better about trying urchin again should a "fresh" opportunity present itself.

Again - thank you very much.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #30
Head Chef

I like it a lot, sushi is my favorite birthday dinner treat. Never tried to make it at home though. I also don't feel comfortable about being able to obtain true quality sushi grade fish.

Tags
None