"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

On my way back from out of town meetings at the main office, I often stop at a little Oriental grocery store. It has the most amazing variety of stuff, and everything is very reasonably priced. Yesterday I picked up wasabi peas, a huge hand of fresh ginger, Shark Sriracha sauce, Kimlan light soy sauce, and Oriental Mascot oyster flavored sauce. What else would be good and hard to find elsewhere? I could spend a lot of time in that store, they have some of everything, but it's confusing!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Ramen noodles without the salty flavor packets. Sesame oil...cheap!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Head Chef

I second the sesame oil. Kadoya makes the best!
Also, chili oil, chili paste, various chili sauces - including sweet chili sauce, and hot mustard.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Salad roll rice wrappers, Fresh Thai basil. Dry noodles for chow mein. Different bottled/jar sauces, sesame oil (prices are usually better than the chain grocery stores. (One exception to that is Superstore in Canada, Asian foods are way cheaper there than, the equivalent US grocery)
Old 05-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I buy just about my ethnic cooking needs in ethnic groceries. I have access to Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani and Near Eastern markets. An jaw-dropping selection of foods at reasonable prices.

The smells alone are worth the trip. When my grandson was about 3-4 YO, we went into a Pakistani spice store. The aromas of the spices were very strong. We walked in the door and he started "Mmmmm, smells so good! Smells so good!" The proprietor was all smiles.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Great ideas, thanks guys! Appreciate brand names.

Dang, I looked at the sesame oil, but there were so many different brands, and I kinda zoned out....
Old 05-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Great ideas, thanks guys! Appreciate brand names.

Dang, I looked at the sesame oil, but there were so many different brands, and I kinda zoned out....
Trust me - Kadoya is fantastic. It's deep and delicious with a very distinct sesame taste - not watered down like some brands. Let me know what you think if you try it!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I go to the asian market for rice, Jasmine is sooo much cheaper than the grocery store. Sauces, sesame oil, same thing so much cheaper.

I buy some produce there too, great deals on that too.

I also have access to just about every ethnic type market, some really cool stuff out there.

One downside to the asian markets is the fishy smell, it is really really strong! I went to one the other day on the other side of town and it smelled horrible, by far the dirtiest grocery store that I've ever seen, I have no idea how they pass any kind of inspections. They had a seafood case that was missing all of its front glass, you could just reach in and fondle the stuff if you wanted to, it was low enough that children could reach in. Luckily the ones near my house are much cleaner.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post

Trust me - Kadoya is fantastic. It's deep and delicious with a very distinct sesame taste - not watered down like some brands. Let me know what you think if you try it!
It's on my Ourgroceries Oriental Market list for next time, thanks Merstar!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I go to the asian market for rice, Jasmine is sooo much cheaper than the grocery store. Sauces, sesame oil, same thing so much cheaper.

I buy some produce there too, great deals on that too.

I also have access to just about every ethnic type market, some really cool stuff out there.

One downside to the asian markets is the fishy smell, it is really really strong! I went to one the other day on the other side of town and it smelled horrible, by far the dirtiest grocery store that I've ever seen, I have no idea how they pass any kind of inspections. They had a seafood case that was missing all of its front glass, you could just reach in and fondle the stuff if you wanted to, it was low enough that children could reach in. Luckily the ones near my house are much cleaner.
I know what you mean about the fishy smell. This store is fairly clean and relatively unfishy.

Being from lower south Bugtussle, I'm envious of all who have a plethora of ethnic grocery stores! We do Mexican quite well here, but that's about it.

Tags
None