"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,093
On my way back from out of town meetings at the main office, I often stop at a little Oriental grocery store. It has the most amazing variety of stuff, and everything is very reasonably priced. Yesterday I picked up wasabi peas, a huge hand of fresh ginger, Shark Sriracha sauce, Kimlan light soy sauce, and Oriental Mascot oyster flavored sauce. What else would be good and hard to find elsewhere? I could spend a lot of time in that store, they have some of everything, but it's confusing!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Ramen noodles without the salty flavor packets. Sesame oil...cheap!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
merstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,002
I second the sesame oil. Kadoya makes the best!
Also, chili oil, chili paste, various chili sauces - including sweet chili sauce, and hot mustard.
__________________
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Somebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Blaine, Washington
Posts: 2,649
Salad roll rice wrappers, Fresh Thai basil. Dry noodles for chow mein. Different bottled/jar sauces, sesame oil (prices are usually better than the chain grocery stores. (One exception to that is Superstore in Canada, Asian foods are way cheaper there than, the equivalent US grocery)
__________________
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,345
I buy just about my ethnic cooking needs in ethnic groceries. I have access to Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani and Near Eastern markets. An jaw-dropping selection of foods at reasonable prices.

The smells alone are worth the trip. When my grandson was about 3-4 YO, we went into a Pakistani spice store. The aromas of the spices were very strong. We walked in the door and he started "Mmmmm, smells so good! Smells so good!" The proprietor was all smiles.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,093
Great ideas, thanks guys! Appreciate brand names.

Dang, I looked at the sesame oil, but there were so many different brands, and I kinda zoned out....
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
merstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Great ideas, thanks guys! Appreciate brand names.

Dang, I looked at the sesame oil, but there were so many different brands, and I kinda zoned out....
Trust me - Kadoya is fantastic. It's deep and delicious with a very distinct sesame taste - not watered down like some brands. Let me know what you think if you try it!
__________________
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
I go to the asian market for rice, Jasmine is sooo much cheaper than the grocery store. Sauces, sesame oil, same thing so much cheaper.

I buy some produce there too, great deals on that too.

I also have access to just about every ethnic type market, some really cool stuff out there.

One downside to the asian markets is the fishy smell, it is really really strong! I went to one the other day on the other side of town and it smelled horrible, by far the dirtiest grocery store that I've ever seen, I have no idea how they pass any kind of inspections. They had a seafood case that was missing all of its front glass, you could just reach in and fondle the stuff if you wanted to, it was low enough that children could reach in. Luckily the ones near my house are much cleaner.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post

Trust me - Kadoya is fantastic. It's deep and delicious with a very distinct sesame taste - not watered down like some brands. Let me know what you think if you try it!
It's on my Ourgroceries Oriental Market list for next time, thanks Merstar!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I go to the asian market for rice, Jasmine is sooo much cheaper than the grocery store. Sauces, sesame oil, same thing so much cheaper.

I buy some produce there too, great deals on that too.

I also have access to just about every ethnic type market, some really cool stuff out there.

One downside to the asian markets is the fishy smell, it is really really strong! I went to one the other day on the other side of town and it smelled horrible, by far the dirtiest grocery store that I've ever seen, I have no idea how they pass any kind of inspections. They had a seafood case that was missing all of its front glass, you could just reach in and fondle the stuff if you wanted to, it was low enough that children could reach in. Luckily the ones near my house are much cleaner.
I know what you mean about the fishy smell. This store is fairly clean and relatively unfishy.

Being from lower south Bugtussle, I'm envious of all who have a plethora of ethnic grocery stores! We do Mexican quite well here, but that's about it.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.