"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 03-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #21
Master Chef

I can use chicken thighs with good results, yes?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I can use chicken thighs with good results, yes?
Sure you can! Use skinless bone-in chicken thighs. I cook Chicken Marsala that way too. Roll them in seasoned flour and brown them in vegetable oil.

Working from the OP (although my own recipe is different) you'll have to increase the cooking time because the original cooking time for the chicken is time of browning plus 10 minutes after the chicken is returned to the pan, not enough to cook whole thighs thoroughly.

Instead, just leave the chicken pieces in the pan and add your additional ingredients, cover and reduce the heat, simmer on low for about 30-40 minutes to completely cook the whole pieces. Turn the pieces a few times as necessary to cook evenly, add more wine if the liquid level gets low. Check at 30 minutes and continue simmering up to 10 minutes more, or until they're done.

I tend to use more wine than the recipe in the OP, then finish by keeping the chicken warm in the oven while I reduce the sauce to suit.

ETA: Or if you're using skinless boneless chicken thighs then handle them the same as skinless boneless chicken breasts.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #23
Master Chef

Thanks Greg. I seldom use chicken breast at all, as I think thighs have so much more flavor.
Thanks to a tip from Andy some time ago, I learned that cooking them longer than "just done" as I had been doing, gives a better texture to the meat.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #24
Master Chef

Yes, I know this is old thread, but that was the whole point of reviving it, because the recipe is so simple and so good.
GG, sorry, but I totally missed your joke.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:20 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks Greg. I seldom use chicken breast at all, as I think thighs have so much more flavor.
Thanks to a tip from Andy some time ago, I learned that cooking them longer than "just done" as I had been doing, gives a better texture to the meat.
I think it's a general cooking concept that bone-in meat always tastes better than boneless fillets, and that meat near the bone always tastes better than meat less near the bone. I'm not sure why that is so but I'm certain it's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Yes, I know this is old thread, but that was the whole point of reviving it, because the recipe is so simple and so good.
GG, sorry, but I totally missed your joke.
Sorry Charlie. I often don't understand my own jokes, or sometimes make jokes unintentionally without understanding that other people perceive them as jokes, or even make jokes and not have them perceived as so.

This is all so much easier face to face when we can perceive other peoples' facial expressions and body language, yet even there we often missperceive jokes as seriousness, or vice versa.

My advice to everybody is to perceive everything I say in a humorous context unless it's presented in a schema of ingredients/method.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Good Morning Everyone,

Firstly, Chicken or Veal Marsala hails from Sicilia and is a festive dish in the Port of Marsala ... once called Marshalla, in Arabic.

As I had mentioned on the Greek Salad thread, I like my Mediterranean dishes, traditional ... and I do not deviate ... How can I take a recipe that hails from the 1770s and make it better ? I am not Ferrán Adría and even he could not !!! And he would not try ! He would prefer to fly over to Marsala !!!

I like to have Veal Marsala when I am in Italia, because Spain does not have a veal culture ... and so I prepare with chicken in Spain, and veal when in Italia ...

The ingredients are:

Butter
Marsala wine which is produced in Sicilia
salt & black pepper
flour for dredging
chicken or veal cutlets
olive oil EVOO

Lovely post.
Grazie.
Margaux Cintrano.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Carnivore--

If you can't find Marsala, you can substitute Cream Sherry OR Tawny Port. It won't be exactly the same but will be fairly close. Also, when I first learned to make Chicken Marsala, I was taught to add about half a cup of seedless red grapes to simmer in the sauce with the mushrooms. Give it a try--it's good! (But might not be 100% "authentic.")
Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasbey View Post
Carnivore--

If you can't find Marsala, you can substitute Cream Sherry OR Tawny Port. It won't be exactly the same but will be fairly close. Also, when I first learned to make Chicken Marsala, I was taught to add about half a cup of seedless red grapes to simmer in the sauce with the mushrooms. Give it a try--it's good! (But might not be 100% "authentic.")
Welcome to DC reasvey. I've used the recipe as written several times and I don't think you can have Chicken Marsala without Marsala. Sherry or Port isn't Chicken Marsala.
Red grapes sounds like a nice addition, but Marsala is a must. It's a really wonderful and simple recipe!

Old 02-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #29
Head Chef

Ooh I was recently looking at a similar Martha Stewart recipe as I love Marsala too .

However when I first saw the post I thought it meant chicken masala as to was under "ethnic" why is this an ethnic recipe ?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #30
Master Chef

Because it is not American. Though what is American nowadays. In all honesty it is Italian recipe and thus is ethnic.

Tags
None