"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #331
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Have you stopped cooking fio-chan?

-Damien
No, I haven't! How are you, you've been gone so long! Still Bentoing, just nothing real fancy lately...It's been too hot to cook. I did make Japanese Hamburgers with Tonkatsu Sauce. And have been having fun mixing dipping sauces for gyozas. Chipotle and duck sauce with ginger, garlic and brown sugar was a hit.

Missed you, figured you got fricasseed in a fire or were just too busy with fires in NM.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #332
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
No, I haven't! How are you, you've been gone so long! Still Bentoing, just nothing real fancy lately...It's been too hot to cook. I did make Japanese Hamburgers with Tonkatsu Sauce. And have been having fun mixing dipping sauces for gyozas. Chipotle and duck sauce with ginger, garlic and brown sugar was a hit.

Missed you, figured you got fricasseed in a fire or were just too busy with fires in NM.

I've been well, Thank you. Work has been a little crazy as we've been ramping up for a few major exercises/inspections coming up. On top of that the internet at work has been down after a pretty massive lightning storm a few weeks back... it's kept us busy.

Tonight I'm marinating chicken breast, onion and red bell pepper in some sesame oil and pre-made korean sweet and spicy pork and chicken bbq marinade.. I'll stir fry it all and serve over rice. Should be great.

-Damien

Old 08-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #333
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I've been well, Thank you. Work has been a little crazy as we've been ramping up for a few major exercises/inspections coming up. On top of that the internet at work has been down after a pretty massive lightning storm a few weeks back... it's kept us busy.

Tonight I'm marinating chicken breast, onion and red bell pepper in some sesame oil and pre-made korean sweet and spicy pork and chicken bbq marinade.. I'll stir fry it all and serve over rice. Should be great.

-Damien
Yum, sounds good. I'm making meatball sandwiches tonight with coleslaw and sweet potato fries.

I have pork and water chestnut gyozas planned for tomorrow with some of my
Asian Slaw.

I am glad you didn't get caught in the fires...
Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #334
Certified Cake Maniac

I have to take a picture to show you all my beautiful bento box. It "appeared" one day at my door.....never had a delivery from Japan before! A huge thank you to the giver - you know who you are!

I had to cook off some chicken breasts tonight for use later in the week for our youth group's service conference. I did up a couple for me and tomorrow will have thin sliced chicken on a sprout salad (rice wine vinegar & sesame dressing). I cut some carrots on the diagonal and julienned cucumber. It all fits beautifully in my box and will be great to eat at the Y after my workout!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #335
Senior Cook

Fifi-chan.. Mo Fish Sauce ga arimasuka? I'm using some tonight to make my dinner.. Thai beef salad.. Thai beef salad, Yum Nuea / ImportFood.com recipe

-Damien
Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #336
Cupcake

I will be starting back to Bento-ing within another week. I've been taking advantage of having lunch time open to go out. Alas, within another week, the party is over.

LP, I want to see your Bento kit! Pictures! Pictures!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #337
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Fifi-chan.. Mo Fish Sauce ga arimasuka? I'm using some tonight to make my dinner.. Thai beef salad.. Thai beef salad, Yum Nuea / ImportFood.com recipe

-Damien
Oh that looks very good.

yakusu onegai shimasu, arigato. (and correct me if I said it wrong)
Old 08-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #338
Head Chef

LP, yay! The boxes are fun to assemble, aren't they? Damien, good to see you back from a crazy summer. That Los Alamos fire gave everyone a scare. Kath, I still can't believe that a fireman would come to your house and condemn your stove. I hope you're back up and running soon. Fi, yasuku=cheaply? Here's a pic of one of my favorite summertime bento -- cold buckwheat noodles.

1. tsuyu dipping sauce, chilled
2. cold zaru soba, buckwheat noodles, shredded nori
3. shrimp and vegggie tempura, condiments for tsuyu
4. senbei, rice crackers
5. mugi cha, iced roasted barley tea
Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #339
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
LP, yay! The boxes are fun to assemble, aren't they? Damien, good to see you back from a crazy summer. That Los Alamos fire gave everyone a scare. Kath, I still can't believe that a fireman would come to your house and condemn your stove. I hope you're back up and running soon. Fi, yasuku=cheaply? Here's a pic of one of my favorite summertime bento -- cold buckwheat noodles.

1. tsuyu dipping sauce, chilled
2. cold zaru soba, buckwheat noodles, shredded nori
3. shrimp and vegggie tempura, condiments for tsuyu
4. senbei, rice crackers
5. mugi cha, iced roasted barley tea
yasui = cheap, could be...I see that there are many ways to say many things...I get very confused with learning.

And, shrimp and veggie tempura are NOT condiments for shoyu...just handi transport devices. Oh and it all looks oishii.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #340
Head Chef

That's true, I like to soak 'em until they get soggy.

The condiments are actually in the little container. Traditionally for zaru soba -- wasabi paste, grated ginger, grated daikon radish, and green onions, to individual taste. Another condiment is mixing in a raw quail egg, but there's a love-it vs. hate-it camp for them. I'm in the latter.

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker