"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #331
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Have you stopped cooking fio-chan?

-Damien
No, I haven't! How are you, you've been gone so long! Still Bentoing, just nothing real fancy lately...It's been too hot to cook. I did make Japanese Hamburgers with Tonkatsu Sauce. And have been having fun mixing dipping sauces for gyozas. Chipotle and duck sauce with ginger, garlic and brown sugar was a hit.

Missed you, figured you got fricasseed in a fire or were just too busy with fires in NM.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #332
Senior Cook
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
No, I haven't! How are you, you've been gone so long! Still Bentoing, just nothing real fancy lately...It's been too hot to cook. I did make Japanese Hamburgers with Tonkatsu Sauce. And have been having fun mixing dipping sauces for gyozas. Chipotle and duck sauce with ginger, garlic and brown sugar was a hit.

Missed you, figured you got fricasseed in a fire or were just too busy with fires in NM.

I've been well, Thank you. Work has been a little crazy as we've been ramping up for a few major exercises/inspections coming up. On top of that the internet at work has been down after a pretty massive lightning storm a few weeks back... it's kept us busy.

Tonight I'm marinating chicken breast, onion and red bell pepper in some sesame oil and pre-made korean sweet and spicy pork and chicken bbq marinade.. I'll stir fry it all and serve over rice. Should be great.

-Damien
__________________

__________________
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #333
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I've been well, Thank you. Work has been a little crazy as we've been ramping up for a few major exercises/inspections coming up. On top of that the internet at work has been down after a pretty massive lightning storm a few weeks back... it's kept us busy.

Tonight I'm marinating chicken breast, onion and red bell pepper in some sesame oil and pre-made korean sweet and spicy pork and chicken bbq marinade.. I'll stir fry it all and serve over rice. Should be great.

-Damien
Yum, sounds good. I'm making meatball sandwiches tonight with coleslaw and sweet potato fries.

I have pork and water chestnut gyozas planned for tomorrow with some of my
Asian Slaw.

I am glad you didn't get caught in the fires...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #334
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,934
I have to take a picture to show you all my beautiful bento box. It "appeared" one day at my door.....never had a delivery from Japan before! A huge thank you to the giver - you know who you are!

I had to cook off some chicken breasts tonight for use later in the week for our youth group's service conference. I did up a couple for me and tomorrow will have thin sliced chicken on a sprout salad (rice wine vinegar & sesame dressing). I cut some carrots on the diagonal and julienned cucumber. It all fits beautifully in my box and will be great to eat at the Y after my workout!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #335
Senior Cook
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Posts: 111
Fifi-chan.. Mo Fish Sauce ga arimasuka? I'm using some tonight to make my dinner.. Thai beef salad.. Thai beef salad, Yum Nuea / ImportFood.com recipe

-Damien
__________________
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #336
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,315
I will be starting back to Bento-ing within another week. I've been taking advantage of having lunch time open to go out. Alas, within another week, the party is over.

LP, I want to see your Bento kit! Pictures! Pictures!
__________________
A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #337
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Fifi-chan.. Mo Fish Sauce ga arimasuka? I'm using some tonight to make my dinner.. Thai beef salad.. Thai beef salad, Yum Nuea / ImportFood.com recipe

-Damien
Oh that looks very good.

yakusu onegai shimasu, arigato. (and correct me if I said it wrong)
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #338
Head Chef
 
spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landlocked in Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,123
LP, yay! The boxes are fun to assemble, aren't they? Damien, good to see you back from a crazy summer. That Los Alamos fire gave everyone a scare. Kath, I still can't believe that a fireman would come to your house and condemn your stove. I hope you're back up and running soon. Fi, yasuku=cheaply? Here's a pic of one of my favorite summertime bento -- cold buckwheat noodles.



1. tsuyu dipping sauce, chilled
2. cold zaru soba, buckwheat noodles, shredded nori
3. shrimp and vegggie tempura, condiments for tsuyu
4. senbei, rice crackers
5. mugi cha, iced roasted barley tea
__________________
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #339
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
LP, yay! The boxes are fun to assemble, aren't they? Damien, good to see you back from a crazy summer. That Los Alamos fire gave everyone a scare. Kath, I still can't believe that a fireman would come to your house and condemn your stove. I hope you're back up and running soon. Fi, yasuku=cheaply? Here's a pic of one of my favorite summertime bento -- cold buckwheat noodles.



1. tsuyu dipping sauce, chilled
2. cold zaru soba, buckwheat noodles, shredded nori
3. shrimp and vegggie tempura, condiments for tsuyu
4. senbei, rice crackers
5. mugi cha, iced roasted barley tea
yasui = cheap, could be...I see that there are many ways to say many things...I get very confused with learning.

And, shrimp and veggie tempura are NOT condiments for shoyu...just handi transport devices. Oh and it all looks oishii.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #340
Head Chef
 
spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landlocked in Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,123
That's true, I like to soak 'em until they get soggy.

The condiments are actually in the little container. Traditionally for zaru soba -- wasabi paste, grated ginger, grated daikon radish, and green onions, to individual taste. Another condiment is mixing in a raw quail egg, but there's a love-it vs. hate-it camp for them. I'm in the latter.
__________________

__________________
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.