"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #351
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Thanks for the welcome back, everyone.. Fifichan, I'm sorry, All I understood was "please.." Gomen.. If you need more, I'm sure a shipment can be arranged..

Spork.. I haven't had Zaru Soba in a long while.. I have all the stuff needed.. I may end up making it today for lunch.. Yours looks great!

Stopped in the asian market today in the search for some peeled and deveined raw shrimp to make smoked shrimp.. Ended up walking out of there with 80+ dollars worth of stuff.. a Case of Aloe juice, Gyoza skins (Guess who's making Gyoza soon..) shrimp, a new Thai quick and easy cookbook, some fresh veggies for the gyoza and a few other small odds and ends.. This cooking thing is going to be the end of my bank account..

Hope you are all well..

-Damien
I was asking for a translation, please/thankyou of Mo Fish Sauce ga arimasuka? I am learning slowly, not many people in Montana to talk with.

And I do have plenty of fish sauce, it's only me using it and I have to watch sodium content.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #352
Cupcake

I'm getting fairly comfortable with my lunches. Does anyone have some good, fun, or interesting Bento breakfast ideas?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #353
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I'm getting fairly comfortable with my lunches. Does anyone have some good, fun, or interesting Bento breakfast ideas?
Good question. All I can think of is the expected frittata. I'll give it some more thought, Kathleen... in the meantime, here's another recent lunch of mine.

1. FiFi-chan no Wasabi-Ginger Napa Slaw with shrimp
2. fluffy potatoes
3. apple in lemon slices and dried apricots
4. oven-toasted sugar ‘n cinnamon butter brioche
5. ice coffee

I took Laurie’s suggestion and made some childhood favorite fried egg bullseye with slices of brioche bread for breakfast, and realized that the cutout rounds would fit my bento box perfectly, so I toasted them in the oven into another childhood favorite sugar fix. I don’t pack apples often because they’re unappetizing to me when oxidized. But, a new variety from New Zealand appeared at market this summer, so I gave it a go. It’s called “Envy.” It’s crispy, very sweet, and I like it. The lemons slices worked pretty well as preservative, but the apples soaked up quite a bit of its sourness. The fluffy potatoes (tosa fuumi) are one of my simplest go-to starches, good at any temperature. The slaw is from the elves in Princess Fiona’s royal kitchen. I felt pretty sure that small cocktail shrimp would be a good addition, and I was right. I don’t have the DC link off-hand, but thanks, PF!!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #354
Cupcake

That looks awesome, spork! YUM!

Old 08-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #355
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That looks most excellent! I like the idea of the shrimp in the slaw...

I had to ship Dad some wasabi powder a few weeks ago, he had run out of the last can I sent. He says he eats the slaw about once a week.

Here's the recipe: Napa Cabbage Slaw with Wasabi-Ginger Dressing
Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #356
Certified Cake Maniac

Spork that is amazing!
I had to go into Vancouver today so I packed my first "out of the house" bento - some vegetarian sushi (asparagus, avocado and cucumber rolls), some of last night's chicken stir fry and a clementine.

Pictures of the box will be forth coming. I haven't finished the bedroom and I know the camera is in there somewhere.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #357
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I had miso with udon noodles, chicken and green onions. I love the instant miso, I can wait to add the hot water. Pineapple with lychee nuts, roasted red pepper and onion slaw. Tea!
Old 08-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #358
Head Chef

Omurice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kath, that's a wiki link to "rice omelet," a brunch dish that may give you some ideas. A football shaped mound of ketchup fried rice covered by a skin of egg.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #359
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Omurice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kath, that's a wiki link to "rice omelet," a brunch dish that may give you some ideas. A football shaped mound of ketchup fried rice covered by a skin of egg.
There was a chinese food place that used to serve something like this.. but instead of ketchup fried rice, they did crab fried rice , covered with the egg, covered in sweet and sour sauce... Sooooo good...

-Damien
Old 09-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #360
Head Chef

1. pork in red chile
2. trash of tortilla and smoked gouda
3. tears of salad greens, tomato in dressing
4. plain greek yogurt and raspberry jam
5. lemon ice tea

My neighbors somehow acquired the chile sauce from a restaurant in Santa Fe, New Mexico called Tomasita’s. It’s really good. I portion it, and horde it in the freezer. Target stores in my town began stocking fresh groceries. They’ve been sending coupons in the mail for free food, like eggs and tortillas. I wasn’t impressed and doubt I’ll ever shop there. Salad greens in a bento box will keep a bit better if dry and this is my usual way to separate a dressing. The jam is from my neighbor, too, a canner and baker, both of which I am not. A lunchbox cobbled together with whatever is in the frig.

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker