"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #481
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That sounds really good. I've been having a cup of miso everyday about 11 for snack.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #482
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I <3 comfort food... Made a big bowl of miso soup tonight with shredded carrot, cubed tofu, spring onion, seaweed and udon noodles..

Yum!

-Damien
That sounds like just the way I love miso soup. I slice the onion as this as possible. Seaweed is one of my favorite foods!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #483
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
What a fun disaster!

First, I'm like, okay, soy beans don't have mammary glands. Their milk is not really milk. This pot looks way big enough for even five cups of cow milk to boil. Wrong! As soon as you see the soy bean solution from powder begin to rise, you're too late. It froths and boils over like an escaped alien blob creature engulfing your stove top. Yikes! The coagulant is fun though, sort of like molecular cuisine. Here are my molds in the sink for the instructional 20-minute set.

And the resulting tofu from my onigiri molds, topped with traditional scallion, ginger, shaved bonito and soy sauce.

Fun, but more importantly, it didn't taste good. Made me feel inclined to join the tofu-bleh crowd. Were it not for the steaming tofu bakeries I was entrusted to shop weekly as a five-year old for my mother, I will try again with whole dried soy beans and google for a good coagulating agent...
I"m sorry it didn't turn out well for you spork!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #484
Head Chef

I tried it again a couple days ago...

I can only expect so much from powdered soy milk. My visiting foodie aunt says it can be made from a carton of grocery soy milk. My foodie uncle says the pot is a b**** to clean afterward. He's right; it's a bit easier with a large non-stick pot. A miniscule amount of coagulant is used, so it must be sprinkled throughout the boiled milk. If callously dumped, it can settle and form burnt or uneven curds.

This time, I molded it using your idea of cheesecloth lining a colander, Timothy. It's fun. I'll keep trying to improve on my "homemade tofu."
Old 01-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #485
Executive Chef

Quote:
I tried it again a couple days ago...

I can only expect so much from powdered soy milk. My visiting foodie aunt says it can be made from a carton of grocery soy milk. My foodie uncle says the pot is a b**** to clean afterward. He's right; it's a bit easier with a large non-stick pot. A miniscule amount of coagulant is used, so it must be sprinkled throughout the boiled milk. If callously dumped, it can settle and form burnt or uneven curds.

This time, I molded it using your idea of cheesecloth lining a colander, Timothy. It's fun. I'll keep trying to improve on my "homemade tofu."
Here's a clip showing the Blender Method of making Soy Milk. The resulting soy milk can be used to make your tofu. Very easy and a great way to do it.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #486
Head Chef

My uncle also said to use a blender, then squeeze out the milk. He also suggests trying different rennet(?) agents. From the time he was eight years old, one of his kitchen chores was to make the day's tofu. He used ordinary, natural sea water as the coagulant.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #487
Executive Chef

Quote:
My uncle also said to use a blender, then squeeze out the milk. He also suggests trying different rennet(?) agents. From the time he was eight years old, one of his kitchen chores was to make the day's tofu. He used ordinary, natural sea water as the coagulant.
I use fresh squeezed lime juice as the coagulant. I like the flavor it gives the tofu.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #488
Executive Chef

Here's another video of how to make your own tofu/soy milk.

This may be the most clear and best produced video on this that I've found.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #489
Sous Chef

Soooo... I have been trying to keep up with the newer posts and reading the older ones as I have time.

Darn you all, I bought a Mr. Bento today. My lunches will not be as fancy as the ones posted. They will consist more of soups, cheese/ crackers, salads etc. (nothing Japanese!)

I really wanted the cute little orange/ red/ pink one but the reviews were not good (leakage, can't microwave, not insulated, can't take anything liquidy) (tried to attach picture)... and for Spork.. I saw this and immediately thought of you... (another picture).
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #490
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
Soooo... I have been trying to keep up with the newer posts and reading the older ones as I have time.

Darn you all, I bought a Mr. Bento today. My lunches will not be as fancy as the ones posted. They will consist more of soups, cheese/ crackers, salads etc. (nothing Japanese!)

I really wanted the cute little orange/ red/ pink one but the reviews were not good (leakage, can't microwave, not insulated, can't take anything liquidy) (tried to attach picture)... and for Spork.. I saw this and immediately thought of you... (another picture).
YAY! I cannot wait to hear what you make. Most of mine were not Japanese, but I get really excited when I pack my lunch in one of the boxes that I have. Be sure to post pictures! Japanese or not, all inspire! And the cute little orange/red/pink bento? Well....really. You cannot have too many. Really!

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker