"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
Master Chef

Bohemian Quarkknoedel

this recipe might be a bit difficult for you on the other side of the pond, as you don't have quark over there..

this recipe asks for Schicktkaese, which is a special form of quark, roughly said, it's a bit more dry, almost crumbly.
A recipe for Quark you find here: homemade-quark-german-quark-14449.html

for the dough:
500g Schichtkaese (or very dry quark)
2 eggs
50g butter, roomtemperature
250g semolina
pinch of salt

for the future I think I would add some sugar to the dough...

filling:
plums without stone, about 10 to 15.
cinnamon
sugar

sauce:
ca. 50g ground poppyseeds
ca. 30g confectioner's sugar
150g Butter

cream butter and eggs, then add the Schichtkaese and salt, mix well until you get a smooth dough. Let rest for at least 10min.

now mix cinnamon and sugar as you like and toss the plums in the mixture

with wet hands form Knoedel about the size of a tennisball and try to get a plum inside - for me this is the hardest part

bring salted water to cook, put in the knoedel and let simmer for about 25-20min depending on the size.

Mix the poppyseeds with the sugar and add to the melted butter.

serve the Knoedel warm with the poppy-butter.
Alternatively you may serve it with confectioner's sugar alone.

Sounds a bit complicated, but I hope you'll understand...

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Master Chef

you find some pictures here

this is not the exact recipe I used, but quite similar, so the pictures are about the same.
They serve it with bread crumbs roasted in butter and cinnamon-sugar

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Cara. I have one question: You said to try to get a plum inside the knoedel - does that mean all the plums? If not, what do you do with the rest of them?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay, the pictures help a lot So about how many knoedel will this recipe make?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
Master Chef

Variation with yeast

500g flour
300ml milk, lukewarm
2 eggs
40g fresh yeast (in G that is a yeastcube...)
pinch of salt

prepare a yeast dough, you know how that works, don't you?

fill with the plum (either tossed in cinnamon-sugar or fill with a sugar lump), make a knoedel around it with the dough and cook for about 10-15min in salted water.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Thanks, Cara. I have one question: You said to try to get a plum inside the knoedel - does that mean all the plums? If not, what do you do with the rest of them?
there should be one plum inside each knoedel. It's a bit difficult to tell in advance how many there will be, it depends a bit on the size of the plums and the size of you knoedel. I had 12 in the end.

with the rest of them you can make a Zwetschgendatschi ;o)
Old 09-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Master Chef

variation with potatoes

400g potatoes
30g butter, melted
2 eggyolk
3 TS flour
2 TS semolina
oinch of salt

cook the potatoes, peel and squeeze through a potatoe-press or likely.
Mix with the butter, eggyolk, flour, semolina and salt until you get a firm dough. Let rest for about 20min and continue with filling as written above.
Cook for about 10-15min in salted water
Old 09-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

This is one of the Austrian variations:

Plum Dumplings, Austrian (Zwetschkenknödel)
Old 09-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Master Chef

I forgot: instead of plums you can also fill it with cherries, apricots, strawberries,.....

Tags
knoedel, plum, quark, recipe

Bohemian Quarkknoedel this recipe might be a bit difficult for you on the other side of the pond, as you don't have quark over there.. this recipe asks for Schicktkaese, which is a special form of quark, roughly said, it's a bit more dry, almost crumbly. A recipe for Quark you find here: [URL="http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/homemade-quark-german-quark-14449.html"]homemade-quark-german-quark-14449.html[/URL] for the dough: 500g Schichtkaese (or very dry quark) 2 eggs 50g butter, roomtemperature 250g semolina pinch of salt for the future I think I would add some sugar to the dough... filling: plums without stone, about 10 to 15. cinnamon sugar sauce: ca. 50g ground poppyseeds ca. 30g confectioner's sugar 150g Butter cream butter and eggs, then add the Schichtkaese and salt, mix well until you get a smooth dough. Let rest for at least 10min. now mix cinnamon and sugar as you like and toss the plums in the mixture with wet hands form Knoedel about the size of a tennisball and try to get a plum inside - for me this is the hardest part :glare: bring salted water to cook, put in the knoedel and let simmer for about 25-20min depending on the size. Mix the poppyseeds with the sugar and add to the melted butter. serve the Knoedel warm with the poppy-butter. Alternatively you may serve it with confectioner's sugar alone. Sounds a bit complicated, but I hope you'll understand... :huh: 3 stars 1 reviews