"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 10-22-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
Head Chef
Chinese recipes

Does anyone have some good and easy Chinese recipes for a complete dinner? I'm especially interested in desserts,but whatever you might have for an entree and sides would be great, too.

I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
Master Chef
Here are some of my favorite recipes and links to others from this site. Hopefully, some will be what you are looking for.

Cashew Chicken

I also have added snow peas to this dish when the chicken is added for the last time.

8 ounces boneless chicken breasts, skinned and cut into 1/2 inch cubes

1 egg white
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cornstarch
5 fluid ounces cooking oil (vegetable or peanut)
2 ounces cashew nuts
2 teaspoons dry sherry or rice wine
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon spring onions, finely chopped as garnish (if desired)

Add the marinade ingredients to the chicken cubes, mixing with chopsticks and adding the cornstarch last. Allow the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator for 15 - 20 minutes. While the chicken is marinating, mix together the dry sherry and light soy sauce and set aside.
Heat the wok and add oil. When the oil is ready, add the chicken cubes and stir-fry on medium heat, stirring quickly to ensure that the chicken does not stick to the wok, until it turns white. Remove the chicken from the wok and set aside.
Clean the wok with a paper towel and add one tablespoon of oil. When the oil is ready, add the cashews and stir-fry them for about 1 minute. Add the chicken, and the sherry/soy sauce mixture. Stir-fry the dish for about another 2 minutes. If you don't like raw spring onions, you can add them to the dish at this time. Otherwise, remove the dish from wok, garnish with spring onions, and serve.

Here is the recipe for Egg Drop Soup.

Egg Drop Soup

This recipe was posted by mish and sounds really good.

Peking Shrimp Ball Soup

Kung Pao Chicken Stir-fry

REC - Kung Pao Chicken Stir Fry(TNT)

There are a couple of other recipes in this thread.

ISO: Chicken Stir-Fry Recipes

Chicken Chow Mein

need an authentic chicken chow mein recipe!

Pork Fried Rice

Pork fried Rice take-out style

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:26 PM   #3
Executive Chef
A couple points about Chinese dinners.

Dinners are served "Family Style", with everyone getting a little of the different dishes. They try to balance the entire meal by having one dish for every person, with a balance of textures, fried, steamed, simmered, etc., as well as a balance of tastes, salty, sweet, sour, bitter, etc.

There aren't really any "desserts" as we know of it, although there are some sweet dishes that will fit the bill.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:29 AM   #4
Master Chef
hmm.. desserts... not easy...
you could probably use

baked bananas

125g Flour
1 Teesp baking powder
2 Tblsp Milk
melted butter ca. 20g
1 tblsp sugar
about 3 bananas

stir flour, baking powder, milk, butter und sugar, add some water until high-viscosity ( is that the right word?? I hope you know what I mean... my translation side is off for server work today...*argh*)
cut the bananas into 3cm pieces and dip into the batter
Fry until they are brown and crispy

serve hot with the honey

Ginger Pudding

200g Ginger
1 tblsp sugar
500ml milk

chop the ginger and press juice out... you need about 4 tblsp ginger juice
put one tblsp juice in one out of four dishes, add a teasp sugar.
cook the milk and pour into the dishes.

serve warm.
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
Head Chef
You can make either a mango jello or a lychee jello. Both of these have an Asian flair to it and I have eaten them at Chinese buffets. There are also Chinese style hot cross buns but I prefer the chilled desserts more.

3 Fresh mangoes - Roughly pureed in a food processor
or a 1 can of Lychees (liquid and all) pureed.
1 packet of gelatin
water 4-5 cups
sugar to your liking

In a pan bring the water and sugar to a boil. Slowly stir in the gelatin and add the mango or lychee puree. Set it in a mold and allow it to cool.

Cut into diamonds and serve surrounded by other fresh or canned fruits like mandarin oranges.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:55 PM   #6
Cooking Links Contest Winner
Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Easy Almond Chicken

Chicken Breasts, Cut In Strips
1 Cup Chk Broth
18 Oz Jar Peach Jam
2 1/2 T Cornstarch
2 1/2 T Vinegar
2 Eggs
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Water

Deep Fry Chicken In Batter, Drain. Combine Sauce Ingredients, Cook Till Thickened. Place Chicken In Baking Dish, Pour Sauce Over. Sprinkle With Almonds. Bake 350 30-40 Minutes. Can Also Add Chunk Pineapple And Cubed Peppers.
shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:59 PM   #7
Head Chef
We just tend to do cut up fruit. Or lychee or logans chilled. But then my family isn't big on sweets. As for a whole Chinese meal, my suggestion, keep it very simple.

If you want to make it "authentic" keep it simple as possible, not too much meat but lots of veggies.

have some sort of a clear broth soup (nappa cabbage w/ shrimp or bean curd soup is always yummy). To go with the rice, I'd do a steamed fish w/ green onions, ginger & soy sauce, steamed eggs & a veggies stir fry.
htc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:05 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
Hi lyndalou, my ancestors (all g'parents) are from China. I have eaten at many of the finest Chinese restaurants in the SF bay area and LA. Chinese desserts are terrible. All my many relatives agree. I have been to sumptuous 7-8 course banquets for up to 700 or so people and they will serve a kind of sweet bean soup for dessert. 675 of the people will not eat it, yet it continues to be served. This is the most common dessert served at authentic Chinese restaurants but nobody likes it.

I could describe some other Chinese sweets, but they are also mediocre at best. My suggestion is to skip the Chinese dessert.
simpleisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:05 PM   #9
Cooking Links Contest Winner
Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Flowing Walnut Pudding

Copy function disabled.... so I will just provide the link....
shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:06 PM   #10
Head Chef
The sweet bean soup is an acquired taste. I don't think it's THAT bad. I have to be in the mood to eat it though. I think the Chinese versions are not as good as what the Vietnamese do with sweet bean desserts. Though most restaurants don't make the sweet bean dessert the way I like, for some reason, I remember what my mom made as a kid was good. Some sort of green mung bean sweet soup w/ real seaweed.

htc is offline   Reply With Quote