Favorite Dim Sum dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make my own, so all of them are my favorites! I can tweak the recipes so that they are exactly what I love!

I find that restaurant Dim Sum are bland and don't care much for it. I make mine with lots of spice and various textures to make them more interesting.

Dim Sum is easy to make. The prepping is the nightmare, but sushi is the same way, so you just have to get into the mindset to make it.

+1 for the site's thumbnail pics and Cantonese names.

Sugar cane shrimp sticks are fun to eat – ground shrimp molded onto a spear of sugar cane, steamed and then sometimes grilled. I like black bean ribs, too, but like chicken feet it is awkward to eat (trimmed bits of pork rib bone & ligaments cooked in black bean sauce) because the inedible parts are meant to be spit back out onto the table next to your plate. I rarely pick up a plate of char siu barbecue pork because most Chinese restaurants outsource this in large quantity and then charge tourist’s price for it.

I make my own, so all of them are my favorites! I can tweak the recipes so that they are exactly what I love!

I find that restaurant Dim Sum are bland and don't care much for it. I make mine with lots of spice and various textures to make them more interesting.

Dim Sum is easy to make. The prepping is the nightmare, but sushi is the same way, so you just have to get into the mindset to make it.

I thought the whole point of Dim Sum was to go out for good food at lunch time with a bunch of friends. It always has been for me and many of my friends.

I thought the whole point of Dim Sum was to go out for good food at lunch time with a bunch of friends. It always has been for me and many of my friends.

While I see your point, I enjoy eating well at home. I don't mind eating by myself and thank goodness I'm a good cook. It's fun to eat out with friends, but much less expensive to eat as well or even better at home by making this type of dish yourself.

Tax according to Chairman Mao Dim Sum tea houses were hotbeds of revolution, his logic was that people who spend 3 hours eating and talking must be plotting to overthrow the state.
Mao closed them all down and sent the chefs to work in the fields, lots escaped thankfully and traveled to different parts of the world.Liverpool has the oldest china town in Europe and many chefs started there.
My Mum loves dim sum so much she started to look Chinese, this is her on her 94 b/day just before we went in.
padeswood 014.jpg

I don't know how else to describe the sound...but it is a soft, purring sound. Maybe she picked that up from the stray cat that visits the barn every now and again...or PF taught her that:).

Yes, now I know what you mean. It seems to come from the back of their throat. A very slow, low, soft gurgle almost. They seem to be able to do it even while eating.
:)

Tax according to Chairman Mao Dim Sum tea houses were hotbeds of revolution, his logic was that people who spend 3 hours eating and talking must be plotting to overthrow the state.
Mao closed them all down and sent the chefs to work in the fields, lots escaped thankfully and traveled to different parts of the world.Liverpool has the oldest china town in Europe and many chefs started there.
My Mum loves dim sum so much she started to look Chinese, this is her on her 94 b/day just before we went in.
View attachment 12824

She even has on a Mao jacket it looks like. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom