"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
I make my own, so all of them are my favorites! I can tweak the recipes so that they are exactly what I love!

I find that restaurant Dim Sum are bland and don't care much for it. I make mine with lots of spice and various textures to make them more interesting.

Dim Sum is easy to make. The prepping is the nightmare, but sushi is the same way, so you just have to get into the mindset to make it.
__________________

__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
Head Chef
 
spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landlocked in Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
+1 for the site's thumbnail pics and Cantonese names.

Sugar cane shrimp sticks are fun to eat – ground shrimp molded onto a spear of sugar cane, steamed and then sometimes grilled. I like black bean ribs, too, but like chicken feet it is awkward to eat (trimmed bits of pork rib bone & ligaments cooked in black bean sauce) because the inedible parts are meant to be spit back out onto the table next to your plate. I rarely pick up a plate of char siu barbecue pork because most Chinese restaurants outsource this in large quantity and then charge tourist’s price for it.
__________________

__________________
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I make my own, so all of them are my favorites! I can tweak the recipes so that they are exactly what I love!

I find that restaurant Dim Sum are bland and don't care much for it. I make mine with lots of spice and various textures to make them more interesting.

Dim Sum is easy to make. The prepping is the nightmare, but sushi is the same way, so you just have to get into the mindset to make it.
I thought the whole point of Dim Sum was to go out for good food at lunch time with a bunch of friends. It always has been for me and many of my friends.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #24
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I thought the whole point of Dim Sum was to go out for good food at lunch time with a bunch of friends. It always has been for me and many of my friends.
While I see your point, I enjoy eating well at home. I don't mind eating by myself and thank goodness I'm a good cook. It's fun to eat out with friends, but much less expensive to eat as well or even better at home by making this type of dish yourself.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:21 AM   #25
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I thought the whole point of Dim Sum was to go out for good food at lunch time with a bunch of friends. It always has been for me and many of my friends.
Tax according to Chairman Mao Dim Sum tea houses were hotbeds of revolution, his logic was that people who spend 3 hours eating and talking must be plotting to overthrow the state.
Mao closed them all down and sent the chefs to work in the fields, lots escaped thankfully and traveled to different parts of the world.Liverpool has the oldest china town in Europe and many chefs started there.
My Mum loves dim sum so much she started to look Chinese, this is her on her 94 b/day just before we went in.
Click image for larger version

Name:	padeswood 014.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	12824
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:49 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I don't know how else to describe the sound...but it is a soft, purring sound. Maybe she picked that up from the stray cat that visits the barn every now and again...or PF taught her that.
Yes, now I know what you mean. It seems to come from the back of their throat. A very slow, low, soft gurgle almost. They seem to be able to do it even while eating.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:50 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Tax according to Chairman Mao Dim Sum tea houses were hotbeds of revolution, his logic was that people who spend 3 hours eating and talking must be plotting to overthrow the state.
Mao closed them all down and sent the chefs to work in the fields, lots escaped thankfully and traveled to different parts of the world.Liverpool has the oldest china town in Europe and many chefs started there.
My Mum loves dim sum so much she started to look Chinese, this is her on her 94 b/day just before we went in.
Attachment 12824
She even has on a Mao jacket it looks like.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Yes, now I know what you mean. It seems to come from the back of their throat. A very slow, low, soft gurgle almost. They seem to be able to do it even while eating.
They do it when they want to eat, too!
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.