"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-29-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
General Tso's Chicken

Has anyone here had any success in making General Tso's Chicken?

Old 01-29-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have a General Tsao sauce. Perhaps that may be what you're looking for?

Old 01-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey
Has anyone here had any success in making General Tso's Chicken?
I'm eager to try the recipe in Fushcia Dunlop's second book, "Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Province," which I just received last week. Her first book, "Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking," is amazing. Thanks to Nicholas Mosher for his posts on this author.

As for TJ's sauce, it's great on salmon.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have a General Tsao sauce. Perhaps that may be what you're looking for?
I can do better than Trader Joes, I have two asian supermarkets not too far from me. I bought the sauce . T'm just trying to get the chicken cooked right. The batter on the outside of the chicken and how its cooked (deep fried presumably) .

There is a Trader Joes about 10 minutes from me . I went there once and was not very impressed. People always raved about the place. They dont sell anything that i cant find in a good supermarket and their prices are high.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:37 AM   #5
Master Chef

Do a search as I remember someone else questioning this not long ago.......or check in the Chicken forum.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I fell in love with Gen. Tso's Chicken by MEAN CHEF. It can be found at recipezaar.com. Use search for the dish name and then find Mean's recipe. Apparently the recipe # does not work anymore. I triple the sauce. It is easy and I seem to have the ingredients on hand! I like the fact that the chicken can be made ahead and stored in the fridge overnight!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I love this dish, however, I never wanted to make it because I think once I see how unhealthy it is I will feel guilty eating it, what I don't know won't hurt me (actually, in this case it will, but I'm pleading dumb).
Old 01-31-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
I love this dish, however, I never wanted to make it because I think once I see how unhealthy it is I will feel guilty eating it, what I don't know won't hurt me (actually, in this case it will, but I'm pleading dumb).
I have high cholesterol. Is it better i skip this recipe? I'm afraid to ask how healthy it really is. Rule of thumb, the better it tastes the less healthy it is.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:04 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmeow
I fell in love with Gen. Tso's Chicken by MEAN CHEF. It can be found at recipezaar.com. Use search for the dish name and then find Mean's recipe. Apparently the recipe # does not work anymore. I triple the sauce. It is easy and I seem to have the ingredients on hand! I like the fact that the chicken can be made ahead and stored in the fridge overnight!
Mean Chef sure has a ton of good looking recipes over at recipezaar but for the life of me i can not find anything for tso chicken that he has posted.

ncage
Old 02-01-2007, 11:27 PM   #10
Senior Cook

It's under Meanie's General Tso Chicken. I just did the search and it's #8 down. It's had 143 reviews. I'm not plugging anything, I just like the recipe and have made it for my family who like it also!

Tags
None