Goooood Chili Relleno Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I've used this recipe for years and it always gets rave reviews.

3 (7 oz.) cans of green chilies, diced (or whole, split)
3 cups jack cheese, shredded
3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup of evaporated or whole milk
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
5 eggs

1 (8oz) can plain tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. cumin powder
1/2 tsp. Mexican oregano (crush with fingers)

Pam the bottom and sides of a 9x13 pan. Reserve 1/2 cup of each cheese for the top. Layer the cheeses with the chilies. In a bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, and then whisk in the milk and beaten eggs. Continue whisking well, till smooth.. Pour mixture over the chili cheese mixture at bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, and pour tomato sauce evenly over the top. Sprinkle the cumin and Mexican oregano on top of the sauce, and cover with reserved cheeses. Return to oven, and bake an additional 20 min.

The leftovers are really good wrapped in a flour tortilla for a breakfast burrito the next morning.

Last edited:
K made a copy if this is as good as your Verde recipe I've struck a gold min. Thanks
kades

Kayelle, I absolutely LOVE chile relleno and this is so much easier. I make chili relleno squares but they are more of an appetizer!

Kay, thought I'd revive this, since we were recently talking about it on another thread. :LOL:

Your recipe for Chile Relleno Casserole is so similar to the torn and tattered recipe from my mom from 30 years ago, and it's still a hit!

This is the scaled down version I use for those who are cooking for one. :)
----------------------------------------
Preheat oven to 350.

Two 7oz cans Ortega Fire Roasted green chiles
1/2 lb shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 lb shredded cheddar cheese
2 eggs
2 tsp flour
1 small can evaporated milk
1 small can tomato sauce

Split chiles, and de-seed.

In a greased 8x8 casserole dish, layer chiles and cheddar cheese.

Beat together milk, eggs, and flour (add 1/2 tsp of Mexican Oregano to the mix if desired...not in original recipe, but I like it.....)

Pour over chiles and cheese mixture. Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and place all of grated Jack cheese on top. Pour tomato sauce on top and return to oven for 15 minutes or until Jack cheese is melted. Let sit for 15 minutes before slicing.

Last edited:
copied this one, thanks Kayelle and Cheryl. I missed this the first time around, in fact I missed most of 2011, but I now know someone who would love to eat this.

I no longer cook for a crowd either Cheryl. Thanks for the scaled down version for this wonderful dish.:chef:
However I do add a little bit of baking powder.

Last edited:
I'm going to add the baking powder next time, Kay. I meant to this last time but forgot. :wacko: I can imagine it would help it be a little more fluffy. :)

I've used this recipe for years and it always gets rave reviews.

3 (7 oz.) cans of green chilies, diced (or whole, split)
3 cups jack cheese, shredded
3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup of evaporated or whole milk
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
5 eggs

1 (8oz) can plain tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. cumin powder
1/2 tsp. Mexican oregano (crush with fingers)

Pam the bottom and sides of a 9x13 pan. Reserve 1/2 cup of each cheese for the top. Layer the cheeses with the chilies. In a bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, and then whisk in the milk and beaten eggs. Continue whisking well, till smooth.. Pour mixture over the chili cheese mixture at bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, and pour tomato sauce evenly over the top. Sprinkle the cumin and Mexican oregano on top of the sauce, and cover with reserved cheeses. Return to oven, and bake an additional 20 min.

The leftovers are really good wrapped in a flour tortilla for a breakfast burrito the next morning.

Kay, thought I'd revive this, since we were recently talking about it on another thread. :LOL:

Your recipe for Chile Relleno Casserole is so similar to the torn and tattered recipe from my mom from 30 years ago, and it's still a hit!

This is the scaled down version I use for those who are cooking for one. :)
----------------------------------------
Preheat oven to 350.

Two 7oz cans Ortega Fire Roasted green chiles
1/2 lb shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 lb shredded cheddar cheese
2 eggs
2 tsp flour
1 small can evaporated milk
1 small can tomato sauce

Split chiles, and de-seed.

In a greased 8x8 casserole dish, layer chiles and cheddar cheese.

Beat together milk, eggs, and flour (add 1/2 tsp of Mexican Oregano to the mix if desired...not in original recipe, but I like it.....)

Pour over chiles and cheese mixture. Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and place all of grated Jack cheese on top. Pour tomato sauce on top and return to oven for 15 minutes or until Jack cheese is melted. Let sit for 15 minutes before slicing.

Heh Gals, do either of you have photos of this scrumptious sounding dish?
I am very visual and when I can see what I'm cooking, I tend to hit the target.

I just had another thought on this recipe...
DH really likes New Mexico style cuisine and I've got him hooked on Hatch Green Enchilada Sauce... maybe ILO the tomato? Tomatoes and me don't get along well.

The casserole is made with green chiles, so using more green chiles for the sauce wouldn't add much.

A Mexican-inspired restaurant near us used to have chile rellenos stuffed with shrimp and chicken on their menu. They served it with mole sauce, which can be made without tomatoes. There are many variations. Or you could top it with tomatillo salsa.

Last edited:
Thanks GG for the link to Google Images,
but I was thinkin' more along the lines
of what Kayelle or Cheryl may have created ;)

but...
looking at this dish that other folks have made,
this is not a 'DH Dish', so I'm a thinkin'...
maybe I'll make up the "full" batch,
split them in two or even three smaller, disposable
tinfoil pans from the dollar store, 4 for a dollar, do you know the ones?
foil pans with lids.jpg
I'll do one with red sauce and the other with green
and do a side-by-side :yum: and share with the neighbors
Oooooo, and I like the shrimp idea too, MMM!

I just had another thought on this recipe...
DH really likes New Mexico style cuisine and I've got him hooked on Hatch Green Enchilada Sauce... maybe ILO the tomato? Tomatoes and me don't get along well.

The casserole is made with green chiles, so using more green chiles for the sauce wouldn't add much.

A Mexican-inspired restaurant near us used to have chile rellenos stuffed with shrimp and chicken on their menu. They served it with mole sauce, which can be made without tomatoes. There are many variations. Or you could top it with tomatillo salsa.

I have to admit that I like the idea of the green sauce too. That is the way I have chili rellenos con queso when I order them at my favorite Mexican restaurant - either with pork green chili or spicy smoked jalapeño green chili (they have about 5 different sauces that you can match with any of their entrées). I too prefer a non tomato based sauce.

I just happened to think that the next time I make this, I might add some of this, chopped and browned.
Before anyone turns up their nose, it's really good stuff.

img_1445058_0_6b5b08fe52790d4b3417e77c66b43ca4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom