Greek Shepherd's Pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texherp

Senior Cook
I am trying to find a good recipe for Greek-style shepherd's pie. My sister says she tried it once somewhere and really liked it. Anyone have a clue what makes the Greek version different? According to her, it had a mash-potato top and ground beef. There are quite a few recipes online and just thought I'd try here too.

I would think that you could make something that resembles moussaka and swap out the traditional bechamel topping for the mashed tater topping.

Moussaka has an unusual seasoning profile so besides the browned ground meat (lamb and beef) it has eggplant and seasonings include onion, garlic, tomatoes, cinnamon and nutmeg, parsley and some red wine.

Mixing some feta cheese into the potatoes would give it a distinct Mediterranean flavor:)

Shepherd's Pie with Cumin and Smashed Chickpeas

Shepherd's Pie with Cumin & Smashed Chickpeas
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes

1 1/2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 can (15 1/2 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed, divided
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection Sicilian Sea Salt, divided
1 pound ground lamb
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 tablespoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Roasted Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Ground Coriander
1/2 teaspoon McCormick Coarse Ground Black Pepper
1/4 cup whiskey or apple cider
1 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup each frozen carrots and green beans, unthawed

1. Place potatoes in 2-quart saucepan. Add water to cover. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and return to saucepan. Add 1/2 of the chickpeas, milk, butter and 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt; coarsely mash until well blended. Set aside.
2. Brown lamb and beef in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Drain fat. Add onion, cumin, coriander, remaining 1 teaspoon sea salt and pepper; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in whiskey. Stir broth into cornstarch until smooth. Add to skillet; stir constantly until well blended. Stir in vegetables and remaining chickpeas. Spoon into 2-quart baking dish. Spread potato mixture evenly over top.
3. Bake in preheated 400°F oven 15 to 20 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and top is golden brown. If needed, place under preheated broiler to brown potato topping.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Information per Serving: 316 Calories, Fat 14g, Protein 19g, Carbohydrates 25g, Cholesterol 63mg, Sodium 643mg, Fiber 4g

This was submitted to my site by McCormick. I tried it and really like it. It is definitely a keeper. (reprinted with permission)

Back
Top Bottom