Hawaiian Guava Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Hawaiian Guava Chicken

1 can frozen Guava Juice concentrate, defrosted
½ C. Ketchup
½ C. Sugar
½ C. Soy Sauce
½ C. Oyster Sauce
¼ tsp. Chinese Five Spice
1 Garlic clove, smashed
5 pounds Chicken Thighs (I use boneless-skinless)

Mix together the first seven ingredients
Pour over the Chicken and marinate for 24 hours
Grill or broil, using the marinade to baste the Chicken
Serve either hot or at room temperature, great for a backyard barbecue, a picnic or a potluck.

*Cook’s note-Guava Juice concentrate can be found in Asian and Hispanic markets

guava chicken.JPG

I can't wait to try this recipe Kgirl !! Thighs are my favorite on the grill, although wings are a close second. Have you ever found Passion Fruit concentrate? I have a passion for Passion Fruit. :heart:

@Kayelle, why yes, yes I have, even POG (passion, orange, guava) at Walmart and I think it was Safeway or was it Fry's ... but mostly I go to this 'Asian Market' (I'm not fond of that term they use here) we found about an hours drive away ... note to self-need to take a ride again to restock :chef:
Do let me know if you and Braddah Steve try this recipe, very ono~licious

@Kayelle, why yes, yes I have, even POG (passion, orange, guava) at Walmart and I think it was Safeway or was it Fry's ... but mostly I go to this 'Asian Market' (I'm not fond of that term they use here) we found about an hours drive away ... note to self-need to take a ride again to restock :chef:
Do let me know if you and Braddah Steve try this recipe, very ono~licious

Oh my gosh....they have POG at Walmart? We drink gallons of it when we're in Hawaii. I looked at Amazon for just PF concentrate....$95.00 includes shipping. Gulp, I don't think so.

Do try this style of BBQ Chicken Cheryl J, it's such a staple item in any kitchen in Hawaii. I feel that using the juice concentrate rather than some other recipes that utilize jelly or jam, imparts a much more pronounced guava flavor. Very nice, not overwhelming at all though.

Oh, I definitely will, kgirl. Sounds great! I'll have to be on the lookout for the frozen guava juice, hopefully I can find it here. :yum:

Do you heat the marinade to a boil before using it to baste? I didn't see if you mentioned it.

Do you heat the marinade to a boil before using it to baste? I didn't see if you mentioned it.

No Craig C, I don't, I baste about half way through the cooking process. I like to grill our chicken, so after I turn the meat I baste.
I suppose if you want to cook the marinade prior to basting, by all means, go ahead, it couldn't hurt. :)
My BIL makes this when we to the beach for the day. What he does is actually dunk the bone-in-skin-on pieces in the ziptop baggie that he brings the chicken in, just as he's about to turn and then back on the little charcoal hibachi that he brings along too.
My SIL makes the Fried Rice.
I bring something green, just to round it all out.
:yum:
MAN! Let's GO BEACH!!

For food contamination reasons, it's never a good idea to use a marinade for basting unless it's been boiled first. You can also save some marinade aside for basting that's never been in contact with the raw meat.

For food contamination reasons, it's never a good idea to use a marinade for basting unless it's been boiled first. You can also save some marinade aside for basting that's never been in contact with the raw meat.

That's an excellent idea Kayelle!
I never thought about that and
no one ever mentioned that to me.
I just followed my elders lead,
but then that's why I came here to DC to begin with,
to learn more about food!
I'm doing just that the next time I make this recipe,
there is plenty of marinade to set aside.
So many mahalos, thanks Kayelle!

Good catch Kayelle. There's a good chance the chicken and the grill environment are hot enough to eliminate any danger but it's simple enough to avoid the issue by boiling. Then you could possibly use it a a dipping sauce at the table too.

I have a recipe for Pinoy Pork BBQ that has a double duty marinade/basting sauce. The recipe calls for it to be brought to a boil after draining it from the meat so it's safe to use as a basting sauce on the grill.

That's an excellent idea Kayelle!
I never thought about that and
no one ever mentioned that to me.
I just followed my elders lead,
but then that's why I came here to DC to begin with,
to learn more about food!
I'm doing just that the next time I make this recipe,
there is plenty of marinade to set aside.
So many mahalos, thanks Kayelle!

I'm so glad you were not offended Kgirl. :) I wouldn't want to do that and I worried about it. I don't think I'd worry so much if you were cooking fish, but commercial chicken these days can be down right scary. :wacko:

This sounds very good. If can't find the frozen concentrate would it work to use regular guava juice and just simmer it to concentrate it?

Ya know ... I did try this method and I, stressing on the I, was not as happy with the outcome.
Maybe I just didn't use enough reduce guava juice.
A can of frozen concentrate is what? 12 ounces right?
That could be the key.
I may need to experiment with this :chef:

Back
Top Bottom