"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 03-14-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Kreplach

My Hungarian grandmother always made these when I was growing up. As a child, I would pitch in and help, doing whatever grandma told me to do. Wish I was old enough to write her recipe down, but this is a pretty good description, as I recall. If you have a family/traditional recipe for same, please share. TIA

Kreplach

Kreplach are small squares of rolled pasta dough filled with ground beef or chicken and folded into triangles. They can be boiled and served in soup or fried and served as a side dish. They are traditionally served on Purim, at the pre Yom Kippur meal and on Hoshanah Rabbah, the seventh day of Sukkot.

DOUGH:
1 ¾ cups flour
2 eggs
½ tsp. Salt
3 Tbsp. Oil

FILLING
1 cup ground cooked beef or chicken
1 small onion, grated
1 tsp. salt

DOUGH:
In a large bowl combine dough ingredients together. Knead and roll out thin on floured board. Cut into 3-inch squares or circles.

FILLING:
In a small bowl mix filling ingredients well. Kreplach can now be either boiled and served in soup or sauteed in oil.

TO BOIL:
Place in boiling salted water. Cook approximately 20 minutes until kreplach float to top.

TO SAUTE:
Heat oil over medium flame in 10-inch skillet. Saute boiled kreplach until golden brown on both sides.

NOTE: Dough will roll out more easily after being wrapped in a damp cloth for one hour.

Yields: 18 Kreplach

Old 03-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
Master Chef

Was your grandmother Jewis? Because I can swear, that is how my grandmother used to make Kreplach! Yum!
One should add that "CH" is pronounced like a throut clearing sound, kind of like a very rough "H".

Old 03-14-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Was your grandmother Jewis? Because I can swear, that is how my grandmother used to make Kreplach! Yum!
One should add that "CH" is pronounced like a throut clearing sound, kind of like a very rough "H".
Oh, Charlie, I would love your recipe! Every deli I've gone to - N.Y. to L.A. - the food just does not compare to an original. My fave was meat filled & sauteed - but floating in chicken soup was heaven too Yep, grandma from Hungary (and probably grandpa, from Poland), came thru Ellis Island, I think.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

yumm, this looks really good mish.
i know it's eastern european, but certain words like this reminds me of speaking klingon.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
yumm, this looks really good mish.
i know it's eastern european, but certain words like this reminds me of speaking klingon.
Give it a try, BT. When I think about it, it actually could be a derivative of many cuisines, i.e. like Italian ravioli, or potstickers/dumplings/gyozas, etc. only prepared in a different way with a different name. Good comfort food. Would love to see original recipes from our grandmas/grandpas from all over the globe. You cant google the really good stuff. :-)
Old 03-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
Master Chef

I doubt there is an original recipe. Our grandmas cooked with no recipe. A litle bit of this , handfull of that and so on...
Old 03-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
I doubt there is an original recipe. Our grandmas cooked with no recipe. A litle bit of this , handfull of that and so on...
You're so right, Charlie 'bout grandmas' cooking. Follow your grandmas around with a pad and pencil and write this stuff down.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I LOVE Kreplach. Oh man they are so good. Thanks for the recipe Mish!
Old 03-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #9
Master Chef

I've been cheating on them and using ready made wonton sckins. No time to make dough.

Tags
None