"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I use this recipe, except I sub parmesan for the romano and use fresh oregano to replace 1/2 of the parsely.

Grandma Maronis Meatballs 100 Year Old Recipe Recipe : Food Network

Old 04-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #12
Master Chef

I like to add a ladle full of sauce to the meatballs for some extra moisture and flavor.

If you have some dried mushrooms, crush or powder a couple of pieces and add them to the meatballs.

I like to cook my meatballs in the sauce on top of the stove or in the oven. If you do them on top of the stove you can't really stir the sauce for the first fifteen minutes or so until the meatballs have "set", just jiggle or shake the pan a little every few minutes. I also like to do this a day ahead so I can skim any fat that is released by the meatballs.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Yep, less mess. But I don't get as good a brown on them in the oven, unless I turn them. How high do you bake them off at?

I was also interested in the liquid addition. Like the solution used in sausages? My mother put milk. I have even used a little ketchup before. I like moist meat balls. So, it seems I need something?

Some chefs add wine, but wine can take over, if care is not exercised. There is wine in the sauce though. Very little. Just enough to deglaze with.
I always add milk. It helps to break down the enzymes in the meat to make them very tender. And it depends on how many I am making. Less than a dozen or so, I sautÚ them on top of the stove. More that that, into the oven. But I will add a small amount of hot water to the cookie sheet after to get off all those little brown pieces. When baking them, 350║F. And I turn them over halfway.

When I put them in the oven, I find that they emit less fat. And they have more flavor, because of less fat being lost.

My mother used to soak a couple of pieces of stale bread in the milk. I can still feel those meatballs in my mouth. Tender, and full of flavor.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The recipe I use, I got from a Sara Moulton show years ago. I start with a meatloaf/meatball mix of pork, beef and veal. If I can't get that I just use pork and beef. I use fresh bread crumbs soaked with milk. I saute the onions until they are very soft (they usually disappear inside the meatball), and add the fresh garlic at the last minute. The rest is standard meatball stuff. Actually the recipe is pretty standard.

I find that the soaked bread, called a panade keeps the meatballs very moist and soft, so I always do it. I find that fresh bread crumbs give me the best results.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
... I start with a meatloaf/meatball mix of pork, beef and veal. If I can't get that I just use pork and beef...

I have no chance of consistently getting this meatloaf mix. I just buy a package of each and mix my own. I usually have some pork and veal leftover and that goes into the freezer for another use. Sometimes I just use it to make a meat sauce.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Sometimes I can find the three in a single package at my supermarket. Beef, veal and pork. But I will be danged if I buy single packages of each to make meatballs. Just plain ground chuck will do fine for me.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but here veal is almost $10 a pound. I have always considered meatballs an economy dish. A little goes a long way to feed a family.

Then there is chicken and turkey meatballs. I will pass on them.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Sometimes I can find the three in a single package at my supermarket. Beef, veal and pork. But I will be danged if I buy single packages of each to make meatballs. Just plain ground chuck will do fine for me.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but here veal is almost $10 a pound. I have always considered meatballs an economy dish. A little goes a long way to feed a family.

Then there is chicken and turkey meatballs. I will pass on them.
I have used ground turkey or ground chicken instead of the veal, to keep the cost down, and nobody seems to notice.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Around here veal is expensive too. Unfortunately, so is ground turkey. I guess it's because it is "trendy" 'cause it's low fat.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I skip the veal altogether and use about 1/3 pork and 2/3 beef. I think the combination is more flavorful and tender.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Update.
Baked off the meat balls at 450f and had to turn them once to get two sides brown. Seams almost a wash vs frying. Less spatter, but a much larger pan to wash. Plus they stuck a little bit. Had to use a metal spatula to release them.
I could have used parchment, but was concerned it would retard browning?

They were great except they could have used a bit more salt. Once again I made meat balls and did not really taste the product before cooking them. Lesson once again learned. My mother always tasted the meat mixture raw. I don't like doing that and I don't like to dirty another pan to test one to see. But I will from now on.

Made garlic bread from crushed garlic cloves, softened butter, chopped flat leaf parsley and a splash of very good EVOO. A compound butter if you will.
Smeared on split Torta rolls.
Served the meatballs and sauce over linguine. Good dinner and was also my lunch for today.
Thanks everyone!

Whiskadoodle. Sounds very interesting with the addition of the Italian sausage.
I see you still add more fennel seeds.
I also am not sure about that much dried oregano? Seems a tablespoon would take over the dish?

Tags
meat