"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 08-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Olives: What do you do with them?

Buonsera, Good Afternoon,

What do you do with Olives ? Would enjoy hearing all your divine dishes, that you prepare and / or serve with Olives ...

My dishes with Olives include the following:

1. Puttanesca with Linguini
2. Olives in adobe marinade
3. A chilled shaken not stirred Polish Belevedere Vodka 100% Dry Martini with 5 olives on a bar toothpick in stemware
4. Tapenade
5. sandwiches and subs or heroes
6. Greek Salad
7. Niçoise Salad
8. An ingredient in Stuffing for veal roast
9. Snacks with an international cheese platter
10. dips
11. with hummus
12. with tzatziki
13. with babghanuj
14. Sicilian Swordfish: capers, black olives, Evoo, fresh tomato, sea salt, drizzle of white wine and lemon & fresh swigs of herbs
15. savoury pies / savoury pastries
16. with other crudities & dips or salsas
17. Turkish eggplant or aubergine pie topped with kalamata and tomatoes, a recipe given to me by a D.C. Member

Have great wkend.

Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
I stumbled upon a combination that seems to work well for a quick relish (for lack of a better term). Whilst at my baby sister's wedding, I was nibblin' at the items in the reception hall. I had just popped an olive (one of them green, salty, delicious, pimento stuffed olives) into my mouth and followed it with a green seedless grape. The flavors seemed to go well together. I decided to experiment and I have found that equal amounts of olives and grapes, chopped together by hand, makes a pretty good combination. The saltiness seems to balance well with the sweet, tangy taste of the grapes. I am uncertain of the variety of grape, but they are the ones that are oblong rather than round...almost cylindrical.
Disclaimer: I have been told that I eat some weird stuff... y'all are on your own hook.

I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Senior Cook
wow Margi your list is so complete:)
I also like olives
Here in Halkidiki we have gren olives. It is easy for me to find Kalamata olives, but I prefer green because my father in law has the trees and are free of toxines.

I prepare olive tapenade, both green and black olives version.. the tapenade i use mostly as a base on pizza and when making bread.

I also make a bread with chopped olives

Hamburger breads

I just put olives in a kitchen foil, add oil, rosemary and garlic, chilli pepper close the foil and bake them for 30 minutes

Use them in salads

Cook them with metballs in domato sauce

bake them with chicken

just dizzle olive oil and chilli pepper and eat them with a glass of ouzo

well I quess it is time for us to go for a swim....:)

till tomorrow, everyone stay safe and always smile :)

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Olives pair very well with beer or wine or other spirits ... True, saltiness and semi sweet marry quite well together in food pairing ... I like olives with Sherry ... or Vodka ... I also love olives with Proscuitto di Parma or Iberian air dried acorn fed Ham and Cheeses ... Cold cut Deli Meats in general ...

Interesting combo for an appetiser ... They are basically a fave in taverns and bars ... they also pair well with potato chips & pretzels & pistachios.

Thanks for your feedback,
Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Thanks so much for your contribution and feedback on all these wonderful classic Greek meze and dishes ... I am going to have some fun, with your suggestions next week ... a practice taste testing, for the Vet and I, as the children are coming to celebrate Nathalia´s birthday 21st ... they are big olive fans too ...

I cannot wait to try out your suggestions ... Divine ...

Have great wkend,
Old 08-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Executive Chef
Chop them up and add them to the top of my faux foccacia. I use regular a Italian bread recipe and roll it out into a rectangle then place it in a 9x13 baking pan. Using a sharp knife I score a criss cross pattern and then top with olive oil, rosemary, chopped olives and some sea salt. Then bake. When I use it I slice it cross ways to make sandwhiches with deli meats and other goodies...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Foccacia ... Thanks for the reminder ... Great idea ...

Have a lovely August.
T.U. for your contribution,
Old 08-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Half Baked
Besides what you have listed I like black olives in my red sauce at times.
I also like chorizo (the soft one),eggs,cheese and black olives together.

I make tempanade with a mix of olives myself. My MIL and wife like to eat it with slices of cucumber.
Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
I eat them. I prefer olives that are oil cured. Here in Little Italy, you can get all sorts of olives. They are kept in big wooden barrels and you use a dipper/strainer to get them out. I even have a pitter that gets a lot of use. When I make a muffalatta for the family, I put the olives in the food processor and bring them down to mush. I use that to spread on the bread as a Tapenade instead of mayo or mustard.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
I use Anne Burrell's recipe for marinated olives. They are so tasty and good. I also add olives to dips,salads, and focaccia bread along with herbs and garlic i've roasted. Olives seem to bring new life to old recips.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote