"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 10-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #21
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Another way of enjoying "sushi" is the "country style"--I'm not going to get the spelling right probably but it is chirasco. The rice and fish are put in a bowl. Can be topped with nori strips. Still delicious.
its "chirashi" sushi

Seven S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by Buffwannabe
i know but i want to use mostly salmon and tuna. Ok so i was thinking...i want to make sushi every day. im trying to eat 5 meals a day of good quality protien and complex carbs. I figured tuna/salmon and brown rice fit perfectly.
i need about 30 grams of protien each meal. soo...how many pounds of tuna and salmon should i get?

Three ounces of cooked brown rice has about 2 grams of protein
An ounce of raw tuna has 6.6 grams of protein
An ounce of tuna has 5.6 grams of protein

I'm not sure how much of each ingredient you use to make a sushi roll.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #23
What about frozen tuna? there is an asian market that carries frozen tuna and all u have to do is just thaw it and they said it should taste close to fresh tuna
Buffwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef
Frozen tuna will work if you can be sure of the quality.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:14 AM   #25
Master Chef
Tuna is often frozen right on the fishing boat anyway.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #26
Assistant Cook
I don't trust fresh fish I buy to be sushi quality so have used a very mild smoked salmon before when making sushi and this works pretty well. I also use omelette (very thin and chopped up into fine strips), avocado, thin long slices of cucumber and the same of carrot. Sometimes I add a bit of cream cheese with the salmon and that is quite nice too.

I make maki, california rolls and inside out rolls. Of course it's not authentic but it always comes out pretty tasty and a lot cheaper than paying £2.20 for two pieces of maki :)

The hardest part for me was making the rice, well not so much hard but it takes a while and you need to mix it with the vinegar mixture and fan it. The actual rolling is very easy, just try to roll tightly and using clingfilm on the mat helps a great deal with not getting the sticky rice everywhere!
Jules402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #27
Sous Chef
I order my sushi-grade fish and products from Catalina Offshore Products.

Living on the east-coast, I can get killer tuna up here. When purchasing from Whole Foods market, they have their own dock and the fish is only a day or two out of the water. I have them cut me fresh slices off the loin, and then I trim the "bloodline" out when I get home.

Unfortunately, my local supermarkets have terrible seafood with the exception of one independant non-chain place that sends a truck out to the docks 3 times a week. The only seafood I buy from the supermarkets is frozen shrimp, dry-packed scallops, and live lobster.

If the fish smells "fishy", isn't firm and elastic to the touch, or doesn't "glow" with freshness... don't buy it. Nevermind sushi, I won't buy fish to fully cook if it doesn't meet these standards. If the market smells "fishy" I won't buy anything there either. Most sal****er fish meeting these conditions should be safe to eat. It's fish that live parts of it's life in freshwater (like salmon) that you have to be extra-careful about. Most sal****er parasites are visible to the naked eye.

Chili-mayo is one of my favorite western sushi sauces. I can put away spicy tuna rolls like no one else... Most bars use Masago instead of Tobikko, as it's about 1/4th the price. Unfortunately you don't get those little pops of flavor like you do with good tobikko. I make my own mayo for this, as the western mayos have too much vinegar for my taste when combined with the vinegar in the chili sauce. Then I mix in some Sriracha chili/garlic sauce, toasted sesame oil, finely sliced scallion, and tobikko. Tobikko does freeze well, and it's something I stock in my freezer along with vac-pacs of BBQ'd unagi.

Uber-fresh Hamachi is my favorite fish for sushi, but I haven't had luck with this fish even by mail-order.

Honest truth, sushi takes a lot of time and attention to make (good sushi that is, anyone can throw together a pollock california roll). You have to plan ahead for the raw ingredients (for freshness), and there is a lot of mise en place for generating a 5-6 items like I normally order. I usually just suck it up and dish out my $20+tip once a week to satisfy my cravings unless I'm having people over who specifically request sushi. Then I start the process. The exception would be tuna based dishes which is easy for me to source locally. Chirashi "scattered" sushi is something I sometimes do every once in a while. Bowl of good-quality properly cooked & seasoned rice, some slices of tuna, sweetened rolled omlet, pile of tobikko. Then I sprinkle some crushed toasted nori and sesame seeds on top.

Good luck!

EDIT - I guess the forum-filter doesn't agree with s-a-l-t-w-a-t-e-r...
Nick ~ "Egg whites are good for a lot of things; lemon meringue pie, angel food cake, and clogging up radiators." - MacGyver
Nicholas Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:05 PM   #28
cool thanks everyone for your help and input!
Old 10-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #29
Sous Chef
We love sushi - I'm not so wild about the nori - I guess something about living on the beach for a long time and smelling seaweed going yuck.???? But, if I put lots of wasabi or Japanese mayonnaise on it I'm cool. We had a sushi party last spring - we did a lovely roll that was sushi rice on the inside with very thinly sliced cucumbers, halved cooked shrimp, and smoked salmon rolled on a diagonal outside the rice. Amazing & beautiful. Now I would add tobiko or some wasabi caviar (whitefish roe). Yum.

Harborwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #30
sushi caloric intake

As my screename implies, im trying to get buff and muscular but my caloric intake is REALLY REALLY low (are there any nutritionists out there?! )

Here are my stats:

Height: 5 feet 8 inches
Wieght: 145 pounds
Body Fat: 14%
Daily Caloric Maintenance: 2500
Current Caloric Intake: 1500

Ok So i am trying to eat clean healthy calories, that means i am trying to eat foods with complex carbs, high fiber, high protien, high monounsaturated fats.

for 2500 calories needs to be split into 50% carbs 35% protien and 15% fat.

carbs = 1250 calories
protien= 875 calories
fat = 375 calories

i need to eat 5 meals a day.

so for each meal i need:

carbs: 1250/5 = 250 calories
protien: 875/5 = 175 calories
fat: 375/5 = 75 calores

converting to grams =

carbs: 250calories/4 calories per 1 gram of carb = 63 grams
protien: 175calories/4calories per 1 gram of prot = 44 grams
fat: 75calories/9calories per 1 gram of fat = 8 grams of fat

I want to eat sushi every day, and I am enquiring about the COST and AMOUNT of ingrediants needed to satisfy the daily 2500 requirements.

So How much does Tuna and Salmon cost, and how much would I need to buy to make it last for a week? ( I will do my grocery shopping every week)

Also I will NOT use white sushi rice, I will use BROWN rice. And I will also add avacado to sushi

Here are the nutrition facts of Brown Rice, Tuna, and Salmon, and Avacado (from fitday.com)

Assuming that 16oz = 1 pound

Salmon : Protien: 83 grams of protien + 20 grams of fat
Tuna: Protien: 105 grams of protien + 5 grams of fat

1 cup of brown rice = 46 grams of carbs + 5 grams of protien
1 california avacado = 13 grams of carbs + 27 grams of fat + 3 grams of protien

I hope you guys can make sense of this lol

Thanks for all your input