Tamarind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
hi a recipe says use tamarind pulp but i only have paste will it still work

cheers

The paste is usually diluted with water. There should be mixing instructions on the package. Use that ratio to figure out how much to mix up, often smaller amounts than the instructions are written for so you'll be doing some math.

I don't think there would be much if any difference in the flavour intensity between the paste and the pulp really, just my thoughts.
---
Our favourite drink when we were kids, go pick the tamarinds, peel them and soak them in hot water and sugar, no cordial in those days.

I prefer the tamarind pulp or extract as compared to the tamarind paste. I think that the tamarind paste is extremely sour, while the tamarind extract has a more nuanced taste - a mix of sweet, sour, and slightly salty. Here are instructions to prepare tamarind extract:

Buy semi-processed tamarind from either an East Indian or Asian (Vietnamese or Thai) store. The tamarind is usually sold as a slab - about 1 in. by 5 in. by 4 in., and wrapped in plastic shrinkwrap.

Cut out a 1.5in. by 1.5 in. piece. Soak in 1 cup of water and nuke in the microwave for about 30 secs. Make sure that the liquid does not boil over.

Remove and allow to stand for an hour. When cool, use your fingers to knead/massage the pulp. At this point, the liquid should be medium to dark brown. Continue the kneading until there are only few lumps left.

Strain over a medium fine sieve. Discard the solids retained on the sieve. Collect and use the extract.

Hope this helps. If you need links for online sources for tamarind, please leave a note in the forum and I will list a few sources.

I have bought tamarind syrup in a Middle Eastern (Arab) grocery store. I needed it for an Epicurious recipe appetizer. So, one can find tamarind in many forms. I am not sure how to sub one form for the other and would probably search for what the recipe called for.

Back
Top Bottom