"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-22-2012, 03:16 AM   #11
Executive Chef

my local tesco does stock a fair range of chillies(for the uk anyway)habanero,thai bird eye,green finger,scotch bonnet,hungarian wax etc but the problem is none are grown in their "country of origin" most seem to be either grown in the uk or imported from holland or kenya etc,which seems to result in varying levels of heat/flavour for the same variety depending on where it was grown.makes it hard to replicate a dish.
i like to drop a few bird eyes in a bottle of oil to make chilli oil.i put them in a sieve & pass them thru' the hot steam from a kettle beforehand to kill any bacteria.stops the oil going cloudy.do the same with peeled whole garlic cloves.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I get most of my chilies from New Mexico. Dad goes down once a year and brings back enough for both households. This ensures quality product with no variables. Of course this is for my dried chiles and frozen/canned (Hatch's Green Chiles). For fresh chiles I am at the mercy of the stores and what I can get at the Farmer's market.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Addie, Buckytom, GLC, 4Meandthem & Tax Lady

Good Afternoon,

Firstly, let me thank you for all your contributions, knowledge, photo, and assistance on this MINI GUIDE TO CHILI PEPPERS ...

I am fully aware that there are thousands of chili peppers worldwide, including the USA too. I have not lived in the USA since 1992, thus, things have changed quite a bit ... and I am only a yearly tourist ...

I have NOT included Iberian nor Basilicata, Italia´s numerous chili peppers either.

Due to the fact, that I am not knowledgeable about most Asian chili peppers, I prefer to leave that subject to the experts ...

The only two Asian cuisines worth eating in Madrid Capital are Sashimi with wasabi, a radish root from Japan or Indian which we do monthly. Both the establishments we go to, are packed with British, American, Aussie and Canadian expats ...

Again, thanks and perhaps I shall do a PART 2 - MINI GUIDE TO CHILI PEPPERS, which I seemed to have left out.

Kind regards.
Margi.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Smile Steve Kroll: Mini Guide to Chili Peppers

Good Afternoon Steve,

Firstly, let me thank you for your knowledgeable feedback.

Secondly, I have not lived in the USA since 1992, and the culinary scene has changed quite a bit since I had resided in the heart of San Francisco, California, Greenwich Village, Manhattan and for a very limited amount of time on South Miami Beach 1986 - 1990.

Anchos called Chipotles, Poblanos and Jalapeños, as well as the La Basilicata, Italia and the Iberian Peninsula varieties have not been included as I have had plans to do a Part 2 - MINI GUIDE ...

As I mentioned to our other colleagues online at D.C., I leave the work of experts to experts, and thus, Asia, being the only continent besides Antarctica that I have NOT been to, I am honest, and feel unqualified to take on that project ... Furthermore, we do NOT eat Asian in the Iberian Peninsula or Italia.

The only 2 Asian cuisines that are above decent here are: Stunner Sashimi and wasabi, as Galicia has stunning wild fish, and Indian as we have friends from UK who are of Indian Descent.

Other than this, if you like feeling great as we do, avoid Asian in Madrid or Puglia !

JALEPEÑOS, POBLANO CALLED PASILLAS, ANAHEIM OR CALIFORNIA & CHIPOTLE shall be added to the PART 2 however, I am only able to add what I have tasted, thus, there are 5 Basilicata types and a few Iberian ones ...

Thanks for feedback.
Margi.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I know most of the members especially the men love the HOT pepers. But does anyone enjoy the sweet Italian peppers? I adore them and like to slice and fry them in evoo add salt and pper. They make a wonderful appy. Fir these I use the Cubanelle's they will turn red if left to mature but they never get hot. They are easy to grow and grow straight up which makes them easy to pick I bought a white sweet pepper to try, plus big guy another.Italian sweet. I' did put in 6 jalapeno's for my friends at dialysis one nurse and one patient. and anyone who would like some. So anyone here interested in sweet frying,stuffing peppers besides me?
kadesma
Old 05-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Kades,

I am a pepper, chili and caspcium woman ... so any kind of pepper ( green or red or gold or violet ) sautéed in Evoo with sea salt sounds wonderful ... I love those, green horn shaped hooks ... as well as red bell --- they are huge in Andalusia, Spain ... they are divine ...

I also love stuffed bell peppers ... green and red and stuffed poblanos with shrimp !

I am uncertain which varieties you are mentioning --- Remember, Los Angeles, is a 12 hour plane ride ! ( NYC is 7 hours and Miami is 10, and Wash. D.C. is 7 1/2 hrs. .. )

However, thanks for contributing ... it is always nice to have your feedback.
Margi.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
My wife goes to NM on business occasionally. She has brought back some Hatch Chili wine each time she goes. The stuff is very interesting and goes great with Mexican food. It is a white wine. Ever try it?
I cannot even imagine wine made from chilis!
Old 05-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
Executive Chef

4Meandthem.

The wine sounds fabulous ... thanks for posting ...

I have old old friends in Santa Fe ... Have to have them send over a bottle ! Would make a fab article too ... Interesting.

Margi.

Margi.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Harry and Fiona,

Many sincere thanks for your interesting feedback and contributions. They are always welcomed.

My Very Best,

Margi.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post

Anchos called Chipotles, Poblanos and Jalapeños, as well as the La Basilicata, Italia and the Iberian Peninsula varieties have not been included as I have had plans to do a Part 2 - MINI GUIDE ...
Other than this, if you like feeling great as we do, avoid Asian in Madrid or Puglia !

JALEPEÑOS, POBLANO CALLED PASILLAS, ANAHEIM OR CALIFORNIA & CHIPOTLE shall be added to the PART 2 however, I am only able to add what I have tasted, thus, there are 5 Basilicata types and a few Iberian ones ...

Thanks for feedback.
Margi.

Ancho peppers are not called chipotles

Poblanos are not called passillas

Ancho peppers are dried poblano peppers.

Chipotle peppers are dried and smoked jalepeno peppers.

Tags
chili, pepper, spices, vegetables