"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 04-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #21
Master Chef

It's really too bad that people are afraid of irradiated food. They seem to think that the process makes the product radioactive, when in fact, materials become radioactive when radioactive dust is present on the material. Irradiated products are exposed to gamma radiation, that is photons that travel with a very short wavelength and a lot of power. Those same photons are transmitted by the sun as infra-red, visible light colors, ultraviolet, x-rays, and gamma rays. There are no residual radioactive particles left on the food.

With gamma radiation, the energy released is strong enough to destroy any and all pathogens in the product. Plus, they travel through the container holding the food. So, you could package the food in a hermetically sealed container, and pass it through a gamma-ray emitter, and have raw meat, or raw milk, or raw veggies that are shelf stable, that is if they don't contain natural enzymes in the food that will break the food down.

If gamma radiation was used widespread, it would eliminate the need for as much refrigeration, and pressure canning, which often turns food to mush.

But we have shown time and again, that if we don't have the personal training and expertise in any area, we fear the technology and assign baseless assumptions on that technology.

We think we are so very clever, and yet we destroy our own planet, the one that we depend on for life. Green paper, and plastic cards are more important than the survival of our species.

Oh, wait, I'm now off-topic. This was about the quality of milk, and making it shelf stable, while still tasting like raw milk. I'm going away now.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Oh, wait, I'm now off-topic. This was about the quality of milk, and making it shelf stable, while still tasting like raw milk. I'm going away now.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I was thinking you posted on the wrong thread!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I won't even taste milk after the sell by date ewww.
That is very wasteful. 1 out of every 6 children in the US go to bed hungry while you are pouring perfectly good milk down the kitchen sink?
Old 04-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #24
Master Chef

Hmm, I never said I pour good milk down the sink, just that I won't drink it after the sell by date. I'm not the only person drinking milk here.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

When I lived in Tacoma, there was a store run by a local dairy right near my home. The milk was pulled milk with the present date on it. The owner told me that by law they couldn't sell it to the big stores, but it was still perfectly safe to use for at least five days after the "pull by" date. After that you should check it for the next three day. I always bought this milk and never once had a problem. Saved a ton of money doing so. I also bought a lot of their other products that they failed to sell to the big supermarkets. Never a problem.

They had a large sign explaining their policy regarding "pulled by" dates. I wish there was such a store near me today. I would be their biggest customer.

Many years ago housewives demanded to know when the foods they bought were produced. So the food industry came up with a date on cans stating the date of production. A lot of people took that date to mean it was out of date just while sitting on the shelf in the store. So they changed the date to a couple of years down the road. What that date means is it loses some of the quality. Not a "toss it" date.

We are getting more savvy when purchasing our food. Today, my favorite thing to purchase is a "Manager's Special" in the meat department. Great prices for the same meat that would be aged for weeks in a fancy pants restaurant.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I tried freezing milk. It tends to separate when it thaws.

It does. Just have to shake it really hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 05-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
So, this happened: After Legalizing Raw Milk, Legislators Fall Ill From Drinking Raw Milk

Darn that USDA, trying to keep people healthy. Who do they think they are??

But, it probably wasn't the milk. Some people who didn't drink it also got sick and not everyone who drank it got sick.

West Virginia has some of the strictest rules about raw milk. I find them very reasonable. It is now legal, if you own a share in a cow, to receive raw milk from that cow. It's not like they will be selling raw milk at the supermarket.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I lived in Tacoma, there was a store run by a local dairy right near my home. The milk was pulled milk with the present date on it. The owner told me that by law they couldn't sell it to the big stores, but it was still perfectly safe to use for at least five days after the "pull by" date. After that you should check it for the next three day. I always bought this milk and never once had a problem. Saved a ton of money doing so. I also bought a lot of their other products that they failed to sell to the big supermarkets. Never a problem.

They had a large sign explaining their policy regarding "pulled by" dates. I wish there was such a store near me today. I would be their biggest customer.

Many years ago housewives demanded to know when the foods they bought were produced. So the food industry came up with a date on cans stating the date of production. A lot of people took that date to mean it was out of date just while sitting on the shelf in the store. So they changed the date to a couple of years down the road. What that date means is it loses some of the quality. Not a "toss it" date.

We are getting more savvy when purchasing our food. Today, my favorite thing to purchase is a "Manager's Special" in the meat department. Great prices for the same meat that would be aged for weeks in a fancy pants restaurant.
I always look for "Manager's special" meat, too It's great! People always think that beef should be pink. The best beef is brownish.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

But, it probably wasn't the milk. Some people who didn't drink it also got sick and not everyone who drank it got sick.

West Virginia has some of the strictest rules about raw milk. I find them very reasonable. It is now legal, if you own a share in a cow, to receive raw milk from that cow. It's not like they will be selling raw milk at the supermarket.
Come on - the fact that not everyone got sick from it does not mean raw milk is safe to consume. There are a lot of variables involved. The fact is that a lot of them *did* get sick soon after consuming it. Coincidence? Not likely.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #30
Senior Cook

I sold raw milk for close to 20 years years. I was very careful that everything was very clean. I milked by machine and went through the process of cleaning the stainless steel container and the hoses daily with the chemicals recommended. I broke the hoses apart once a week and scurbbed them all with a brush that could be pulled through. I cleaned all the fittings with a brush. My milking herd was healthy. Nobody ever got sick.

Still, if you want to be safe I suggest that you buy pasteurized. If you are willing to take a small risk know your supplier and his methods of sanitation. Take a tour of the place. If it doesn't seem good to you don't buy.

Tags
milk, oil, shelf life