"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 10-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Butter - salted or unsalted

When recipes call for unsalted butter am I making a big mistake by using salted instead of unsalted?

DOpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
No. I don't think so, other do.

Many older recipes, such as your mom's or grandmother's, were written with regular salted butter in mind. The amount of salt is not major. If you are concerned, cut back on any salt called for in the recipe.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Sous Chef
what are you making?

in baking when it calls for unslated you should use unslated becuase it contains more fat since its not replaced by salt like with salted butter.

I have never had a problem when baking with it being too salty i just cut back on the salt being added in the recipe.
Genius is sparked by other peoples ideas.
GhettoRacingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
Master Chef
I agree with Andy M. Salt was added to butter as a preservative back in the days when refrigeration (both in transport and on the store shelves, as well as at home) was not what it is today.

You'll have to look at the nutrition info on the butter you use to figure out "exactly" what your butter has, but generally - 1 lb of butter only has 1-1.5 teaspoons of table salt.

Now, as far as the salt content making any significant impact on the amount of the total fat in the butter ... I doubt that is as much of a factor as the water content - which by law can not exceed 18% - 20% (I forgot which) but some higher quality butters are as low as 10%-12% water.

I used to do this juggling act keeping salted and unsalted for different uses ... I don't any more. I have not found that there is any difference in things I make at home - except that unsalted butter is really bland on toast, biscuits or cornbread.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
The TV chefs say to use unsalted butter so you can control the amount of salt in your recipe. That's what I do. Just passing along some info
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
Assistant Cook
thanks everyone. I was mostly worried about the salt content of the butter adversely affecting the baked goods. so now I'll just cut back on the salt in the recipe.

thanks again,
Old 10-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Never ever been happy with results when I use unsalted butter.... even if there's salt in the recipe.
If I use salted where it calls for unsalted.... I generally leave the added salt in a recipe the same.
Of course I think my tastebuds are half dead sometimes......
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
Executive Chef
I prefer salted butter have never noticed a big difference.
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
Glad to know that I'm not messing things up. Never paid that much attention until I noticed that a lot of the cooking shows refer to it specifically.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer
If you have been using salted in recipes that call for unsalted and have not noticed a difference then you are not messing anything up. If it works for you (whatever it is) then you are doing it right.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote