"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
jenneyema - you mentioned aged gouda - have you tried a four or five-year aged gouda? It's just so wonderful - I love the "crystals" in it and a little goes a loooong way!
(Swoon and Heavy sigh) I can't get the variety of cheeses around here that you guys and gals mention. Oh I can get the more common cheeses, even some good cheddar, and a few Spanish cheeses. I didn't even know anyone made a five year old gouda. I do love the five year old sharp cheddar from Balderson of Ontario Canada. It has the little salt crystals in it as well. I am so envious of the cheese varieties that I can't get.

One day I will move from this place, probably up to the Northwester U.S. I gotta think that a place like Tacoma, or Seattle would have some fine cheeses available. But that's several years off.

Eat a peice of that old gouda, and think of me while you slowly roll it around on your tongue.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I love so many cheeses ... I am sort of a cheese freak

I don't go at all for flavored/herbed/smoked cheese. I like the flavor of the cheese, not the additives. Exception being Boursin or something like that.
ok, Jennyema, we *really* need to get together sometime. i'm likewise a total cheese fiend, and the only "flavored" cheese in my fridge is that boursin...

anyone who has a trader joe's near them has an A+ selection of decent cheese. once i had their actual greek imported sheep feta, i won't buy american feta again. it's amazing. sold in little white plastic tubs, slabs of goodness floating around in brine. sigh.

i'll second all those votes for the gourmet basics, like manchego & emmenthal. a little further off the beaten path, though...

if you can find *anything* by cypress grove, do yourself a favor and snap it right up. their humboldt fog (soft goat cheese with a stripe of vegetable ash through the center, white mold rind, runny on the edges when it's nicely aged) is a serious favorite. midnight moon (firm-texured super creamy aged goat cheese) is likewise wonderful.

nothing is better for breakfast than st andre. it's soft and buttery, and goes great with sliced asian pears.

the super friendly cheese lady at my local beer & wine shop has recently started hooking me up with my new kryptonite: pierre robert. it's a *triple creme* brie-style cheese, meaning that it's even more melty and creamy and buttery and amazing than brie usually is. at room temp, it just melts out of the rind. they have a small cheese counter at this place, so they change it up quite frequently, and i'm going to consider hari-kari when this one goes out of the rotation.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:41 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Good Weed I can not get great cheese where I live either even if I go to Santa Fe the cheeses there seem a bit outdated as far as freshness goes I understand alot of them are aged but alot of them seem past their prime so I will say this once more go toCheese, Specialty Food, Gourmet Gift Baskets, Cheese Gifts: igourmet and splurge a little they have it all and the best quality.
Fireweaver I also have had the Feta made from sheeps milk but this one was from Bulgaria which is close to Greece so they eat alot of the same things.Like you to me it is so much better than American Feta I love American Feta but this stuff is fantastic of course I will hafto get it by mail but it is well worth it.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireweaver
ok, Jennyema, we *really* need to get together sometime. i'm likewise a total cheese fiend

We could have a cheeseapalooza!!

Cypress Grove rocks, absolutely! And so do you for having cheese for breakfast!! I love to do that (though I confess I don't do it that often) and do love the St. Andre.

I usually buy my cheese at Formaggio Kitchen in Boston and at Fairway or Murry's in NYC.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #25
Master Chef

Has anyone ever heard of a French Rambol??? I got some today... wanting to try new cheeses...

Also, can you freeze ricotta cheese?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:52 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
Has anyone ever heard of a French Rambol??? I got some today... wanting to try new cheeses...

Also, can you freeze ricotta cheese?

Yes. It's a mild, soft processed cheese. Would be good with some good bread and fruit.

Frozen ricotta will separate when thawed, so it's not usually a good idea to do that.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Yes. It's a mild, soft processed cheese. Would be good with some good bread and fruit.

Frozen ricotta will separate when thawed, so it's not usually a good idea to do that.
Thanks so much jennyema!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #28
Sous Chef

I just discovered a cheese that is simply to die for, I am typing this from heaven and it was worth it!

Its called "FOREST" brand. Thats all it says really. The very fine print says its a Fromage Fondue. This is a processed cheese, but who cares.......its Hickory Smoked!!! Oh man. Its great. Hickory Smoked Fromage Fondue from "Forest" is a must buy.. it was cheap too.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Well I may have met my match.

Like I mentioned earlier, I enjoy diff. cheeses, and my favorites are sharp and artisan cheeses. I had stumbled accross Yancy's Fancy Cheese Brand, which is a major cheese company located nearby. I tried their 9 month aged white cheddar and it was simply amazing, with curds and everything, it basically crumbled in your mouth. I tried their "Buffalo Wing" cheese, which burnt my darn mouth off. It was yummy though esp. with crackers.

Well to get to the point, my tastes are for strong yet accessible cheeses, delicately so. I bought their 12 month aged white with high hopes it would be better than their 9 month. It was just too much. The crumbly curds were gone, leading me to believe this type was processed. The taste is just wayyy sharp, I can't handle it. I still have it time to time and its growing on me alittle, but I much prefer 9 month. Are all 12 months like this? It was solid all the way thru.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
and do love the St. Andre.
Take a table water cracker, spread some Triple Creme St. Andre on it and top with a very ripe peach slice or a very ripe cantelope slice. Come back here and post when you get up off the floor

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None