"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 06-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Yes, milk quality could be quite different. The best one comes from grass fed animals. Of course I mean no hormones, antibiotics or other chemicals. There is a natural difference between summer and winter milk, as there is no fresh grass in winter. That is reflected in milk.
Unfortunately, we live in a super industrialized world, and we have little to no control to what we eat. This is true unless you are a farmer and produce your own food. Even so, the seeds, breeds are not what they were 100 years ago.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Psst - you wanna know how to cheat?

I used to make yogurt with milk and culture, etc., with an electric warmer thingy. Then I discovered Easiyo. I expect it's available in the US as it's made in New Zealand.

You have a plastic insulated jar and an inner jar that you half fill with cold water, tip in the contents of the packet (dried cows' milk and culture), put lid on and shake vigorously and then top up with more cold water. Fill outer container with boiling water up to the mark and put inner jar inside. Screw on the top and leave for 8 hours or more. It makes a litre of yogurt (not good at maths but I think a litre is about 2 US pints or 4 cups). Takes only as long as it takes to boil the kettle.

The yoghourt is gorgeous. It is not as bland as the shop bought stuff. It comes in various "strengths" - greek, greek low fat, ordinary yogurt, "Slimmers" (which is virtually fat-free), and ordinary low fat.

I like the natural best but it also comes sweetened and in various flavours - toffee, vanilla, mango, lemon, strawberry, etc.,but I'm not keen as the texture is often a bit odd with the flavoured ones.

I don't usually use "kits" for making foods but I make an exception for this as I use gallons of yogurt.

(Shh! Don't tell anyone that I cheat - this is strictly between you and me)

Old 06-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #33
Senior Cook

This is a very interesting thread. You kind folks are really giving me milk lessons.

I'm right next to Amish and the Mennonite culture so I do have access to raw, organic milk.

Once the urge hits me again I will go get some raw milk and use that instead.

I guess I'll make the plain and just add some fresh fruit to it as I eat it.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #34
Master Chef

I love raw milk. Unfortunately the sourse I get it from is not relaible and milk canno tbe drank raw. So I make stuff out of it mostly after bringing to a boling temps.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabriana View Post
... Even so, the seeds, breeds are not what they were 100 years ago.
This is so true. Sadly.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I love raw milk. Unfortunately the sourse I get it from is not relaible and milk canno tbe drank raw. So I make stuff out of it mostly after bringing to a boling temps.
I didn't realize that you shouldn't drink it. Good to know because I was planning on it. Why shouldn't it be used just to drink?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
I didn't realize that you shouldn't drink it. Good to know because I was planning on it. Why shouldn't it be used just to drink?
If you want to drink raw milk it should come from a very clean, healthy animal + farm. Otherwise it can put you into trouble due to possible milk infestation (including TB) . Some bacteria could be quite bad. That's why milk is pasteurized in plants. If you buy raw milk, and the source is not fully reliable, I would boil that milk before drinking, even making yogurt. Yes, raw milk is full of vitamins, minerals, that are partly lost through pasteurization or boiling. But sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Pasteurisation was originally introduced to kill the organisms which caused tuberculosis in humans. I don't know how things work in the US but in the UK, although vaccination of cattle to prevent TB is possible, it isn't allowed. There are very few producers and sellers of raw (ie unpasteurised) milk in Britain but it isn't forbidden in law. Raw milk is subjected to testing for TB organisms which is expensive and few producers want the fuss. I used it for many years until my milkman retired and then I couldn't find it locally so now I have to have the pasteurised sort.

Pasteurisation also kills brucellosis organisms which may be present in raw milk and can cause serious illness in humans..

Children, the sick and the elderly and anyone who is immune-suppressed either through illness or the use of medication certainly shouldn't use raw milk and the rest of us must decide on the risk for ourselves.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #39
Senior Cook

I'll have to think about it. I did have TB when I was 3 so the way I understand it I should never get it back again because of the meds I had to take for 9 months.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
What Sabrina said.

It's not that you should not drink it, but you have to make sure the source is reliable. I get from a huge farm, some 3000 cows, cannot be sure if they are all healthy.
When I get from a small goat farmer, he only has few goats I do not boil it. It's all safe and clean and yummy.

Tags
yogurt, homemade