"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm bringing wine, too, plus homemade crackers!

Bliss, are you keeping detailed records on your cheese-making? How do you keep track of what needs washing or turning, etc., and when?

Such a cool project. I have a book; I really need to give it a go again. I've made fresh mozzarella, but that's it.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #42
Executive Chef

GotGarlic, thank you for caring too!

Yes the cheese journal started with a list of cheeses I made each day, a date and a cheese type. Then that part changed when I needed to know when it would be good to eat, so the last column is when it is done aging. Then I needed to know when to wax or move it for eye formation, so that became the third column.

The recipe section, I thought the recipe would be the same each time but it is not, and when it is done aging, I might want to change it. Then the dry cultures were made into mother cultures, so instead of 1/4 tsp of dry culture, it went to 1/4 cup of mother culture. Then the rennet went from double rennet to triple rennet, so 1/4th tsp of rennet to 1/3 tsp of triple rennet.
Each recipe is different for one reason or another. Sometimes it says to press for 8 hours but I sleep until 12 hours, so that is made note of in that recipe, that is why each cheese has a name and number. Swiss3 or parmesan2. Then I can check what I did and repeat it or not repeat it as needed.

Then I realized I was losing control of when to wax and move for eye formation (mostly swiss cheese issues), so I put a weekly calendar page in for each week. I put the date of waxing or moving (to room temp or back to the cave).

So the journal is becoming a book.
1st section: date/cheese type/move or wax/eat
2nd section: calendar detailing when to do something wax or move.
3rd section: recipe for that particular cheese with anything that I did different, wrong temperature, or longer or shorter pressing, or stirred too long (some kind of interruption)

Thanks for the offer of wine and crackers!

Old 04-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Sage Derby Cheese, made with sage and spinach (for color), in a type of cheese that uses cheddaring. Air drying then wax and put in the cheese cave. Aging a month to 6 months.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This sounds interesting, bliss. Let us know how you like it.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #45
Executive Chef

I'm worried about the sage derby because there is vegetable matter (sage and spinach) in it and even though it still looks good drying, I'm thinking the vegetable matter will rot or mold. I'll find out in some months.

In the meantime.....
I made another parmesan4.
I decided to wax all the parmesans and the romanos, so I'm melting purple wax and then those will stay aging anywhere from 8 to 24 months. I started waxing cheeses with clear/white wax, not thrilling. Then I waxed all the cheddars and colbys and some of the swisses with a red wax, that worked out great.
Today I made the first blue cheese, only 2 gallons of milk, two cultures penicillium roquefortii and flora danica (meso type). It only takes 30-40 days to age, so I'll know how good it is or is not soon enough. I do love blue cheeses.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Making cheese 2016 into 2017

Yeah, I wondered how the spinach would hold up.

There are a few of us here who love purple. A nice choice for wax color!
Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Oh yeah, thank you for reminding me. I'll take pictures of the purple waxed cheeses and the red waxed cheeses, for the purple loving people.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:21 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Making cheese 2016 into 2017

And then you can send them to us, and we will age them for you! Or wear them! Or test them!
Old 04-20-2017, 11:26 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
And then you can send them to us, and we will age them for you! Or wear them! Or test them!
I knew I could count on ya'll.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #50
Executive Chef

The romano1 in purple.

Inside the cheese cave.

The white one on the top right is colby. The red ones are cheddar, colby, and the bulging one is emmentaler--round, the red square ones are the guiness infused and merlot infused cheeses. The Parmesans and Romanos are purple. Happy purple to you.

Dawg, I smelled the sage derby and looked it over, it still looks good and smells nice, so I'm worrying less. I may wax it tomorrow or the next day.

Tags
cheese, other, store bought milk