"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 10-20-2004, 01:52 PM   #11
Master Chef

Jarlesburg and Gruyere for me

A good aged gouda, too

Old 10-20-2004, 07:08 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Brie is my favorite, but not on a burger. A nice peice of havarti sealed inside a burger is pretty darn good. [take a small chunk of havarti wrap meat around it and cook, when you bite into it it's all nice and melty]

Old 10-20-2004, 07:44 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Since we're talking cheese they say the best way to store cheese is in a plastic container with a cube of sugar. It will keep for months. Frankly, we can' keep cheese that long - but I do have a piece of "something" left that I will go put in a small plastic container with a piece of sugar tonight - someone remind me in about 2 months, ok?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:27 AM   #14
Master Chef

i say that if you would buy only one cheese, Hoffman's x-sharp cheddar sliced up from the deli (it comes in blocks, too) would be a good bet. it has a nice sharp flavor, is great on sandwiches, for just snacking on plain, or for a cheeseburger, in a white sauce for a cheese sauce, in macaroni and cheese, added to potatoes, etc. and it's relatively cheap. in retrospect, at least.
bleu cheeses are good, too. they add a salty tang to lots of things, are good in salads, melted into dishes, great just for snacking, in salad dressings, on lamb chops and burgers and steaks, on and on. Saga makes one that goes for only $5 per wedge and it is so creamy and balanced. i love it. but i use all kinds of varieties of blue cheeses with success. bleu cheese can add a lot to a dish, and if it's melted, even those who proclaim to despise the stuff always seem to love the food. as long as they don't know it's in there. baffling.
excellent cheese.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:59 AM   #15
Sous Chef

luvs, great minds run in similar channels! My favorite cheese is Hoffman's Smoky Sharp - I just love the stuff! Last time at the store I tried another one that was hickory smoked, and that one was good too, but the smoky is still my favorite.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:27 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Since we're talking cheese they say the best way to store cheese is in a plastic container with a cube of sugar. It will keep for months. Frankly, we can' keep cheese that long - but I do have a piece of "something" left that I will go put in a small plastic container with a piece of sugar tonight - someone remind me in about 2 months, ok?
That's interesting, Elf! I wonder what the sugar does here??? Very interesting.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:54 AM   #17
Everymom

OK, I want to know why you put flour in Audeo. Just to keep it from sticking? I usually do mine in the food processor and then just smack it around when I take it out of the freezer. I am open to new ideas though.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:56 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Love your techniques for doing things, Alix. Sounds like me.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:01 PM   #19
Everymom

Thanks mudbug, a higher compliment I cannot imagine.

Oh gad! Sorry about the grammar...I am getting more coffee.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:44 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter
luvs, great minds run in similar channels! My favorite cheese is Hoffman's Smoky Sharp - I just love the stuff! Last time at the store I tried another one that was hickory smoked, and that one was good too, but the smoky is still my favorite.
:D :D

Tags
None