Scrambled Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both. I poke a clove of garlic with the fork and beat the eggs in the bowl to transfer flavour. Then I scramble further with my spatula as they cook.

Way cool idea, Alix, about the garlic. Usually I add about a T of milk/cream/water before delivering the mix to the pan.

I beat 'em up before throwing them in the pan too. I prefer the large, creamy curds over anything smaller or drier.

I like to lightly scramble my eggs in a bowl and when they are in the pan I use a spatula to move them as they cook.

I spray my skillet with some cooking spray, coat the bottom and sides with soft margarine, break my eggs into the pan, and stir them with the margarine mixing in a bit. I season and add any liquid then mix it into them. Once over medium heat, I stir them until they are mostly done. Turn off the heat and put on a lid until the toast comes up. They are moist and fluffy.

I beat mine to death in a bowl with a fork, then add them to an obscene amount of melted butter in a nonstick pan. Since I need my eggs cooked more than well-done, they spend a lot of time in that pan - lol!! Once they're set, however, I add grated cheese (cheddar or swiss usually), & enjoy them liberally topped off with whatever hot pepper sauce I have on hand.

I was raised on the idea of beating them to death before going to the pan...then cooking them quickly....However several weeks ago a lady told me her method and I just had to try....

Spray the pan...add margarine/butter....over medium heat add the eggs. With a fork beat them really fast as they cook...results: they are so light and fluffy. Very soft yet done. Don't be disappointed the first time you try as it takes practice....You might find it helpful to have a spoon near by to move them in the pan during the last little bit. Oh and cook them softer than you think you want as they will carry over....by the time you get them to the table they will be perfect.

Jacques Pepin says to beat the eggs lightly and then add to the pan. Scrambled eggs is one of those things that you stop cooking before they look done as they continue to cook on the way to the plate.

If I want scrambled eggs, I scramble them in a bowl before sliding it into a hot, buttered cast iron pan. The result is even coloured light yellow blended eggs. If I want fried eggs, I crack the egg into a bowl and then slide it, whole, into a hot, buttered cast iron pan. From there, I'll crack the yolk and give the whites a couple of tosses, yeilding a result of equal parts white and yellow.

Well beaten before the pan in order for all the white and yolk to be smooth and incorporated. A tablespoon of water if making an omelette to be even more sure it is all incorporated. A pan, just the right temp, with a bit of grease--butter or bacon grease. Swirl to begin to set and very lightly fold and fold again--scrambled light/wet/soft.

Gretchen said:
Well beaten before the pan in order for all the white and yolk to be smooth and incorporated. A tablespoon of water if making an omelette to be even more sure it is all incorporated. A pan, just the right temp, with a bit of grease--butter or bacon grease. Swirl to begin to set and very lightly fold and fold again--scrambled light/wet/soft.

Couldn't have said it better myself -- every detail flawless! I hereby officially add you to the list of people who I'd allow to make me eggs. That makes two now -- you, and my mum :rolleyes:.

Gretchen said:

I heartily agree...no blob of yoke here and blob of white there for me!!!
However this lady who showed me her method of scrambling in the pan....hers were if they had been in a blender before!.
Gotta use a fork and move very very quickly on mod. heat.
After several tries I have gotten it right only once...
Be prepared... if you try... have a cloth napkin close by...or they will float off the plate!!:shock:

I eat a LOT of scrambled eggs every morning, so the biggest factor for me is convenience. I crack all eggs into a bowl, remove any yolks I'm not using, beat with a fork until fairly uniform, pour onto a large, electric griddle, spread thin with a spatula, and start folding from there. Always remove them prior to being done!

Ayrton said:
Couldn't have said it better myself -- every detail flawless! I hereby officially add you to the list of people who I'd allow to make me eggs. That makes two now -- you, and my mum :rolleyes:.

High praise indeed and accepted very humbly!! ;o)

I make cheese eggs and your sentiment is our DD's--"I'll only eat them if Mom makes them."

DH grew up in a home where his father made the scrambled eggs--just barely scrambled in the pan with the white and yolk all goopy. And on top of that, soft so the white was icky!! It makes him shudder to this day!!
I can do a VERY soft white in poached or soft boiled but not looking at me from a plate!!!
I just said to my DGD this week that if I had to choose one meal it would be breakfast and eggs.

BreezyCooking said:
I beat mine to death in a bowl with a fork, then add them to an obscene amount of melted butter in a nonstick pan. Since I need my eggs cooked more than well-done, they spend a lot of time in that pan - lol!! Once they're set, however, I add grated cheese (cheddar or swiss usually), & enjoy them liberally topped off with whatever hot pepper sauce I have on hand.

Yum, except the the obscene amounts of butter, I like mine exactly the same way as breezy!! I'm ready to go make breakfast!

Old wives' tale?

VeraBlue said:
If I want scrambled eggs, I scramble them in a bowl before sliding it into a hot, buttered cast iron pan...
I had an old wife :huh: tell me I should have a cast iron pan dedicated only to cooking eggs.

Has anyone else heard such a thing?

Tom

Well I have a small 7 in skillet that I use for eggs...Not cast iron however...I got it at a resturant supply...I think it is a Lincoln WearEver...it is perfect for frying or scrambling eggs....

However I do have a cast iron skillet that is 100% dedicated to cornbread. And is never washed....just wiped out....and reused...I suppose any germs are killed in the pre heating or in the cooking process...

Dedicating a cast-iron pan to just eggs is something I've not heard of, although I suppose that's up to the owner/cook. I really can't figure out what the benefit would be though.

In fact, I think my cast-iron pans are all the better seasoned for being used to cook different things.

Back
Top Bottom