"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 09-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
DC's Angel

The search for Liederkranz

Hi, y'all (this is my Paula Deen impression)

Years ago I fell in love with Borden's Liederkranz cheese. Some time ago they stopped makiing it and I've been in mourning ever since. Does anybody out there know of a suitable substitute? My cheese glands are atrophying and I want to feed my need! Thanks for your help.

Buck

Old 09-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

There are plenty of other stinky feet cheeses out there!! pont levecque is a bit on the way. Columbiers and rebluchon (I think--at least what we had in Provence was!!) would fill the bill. Limburger?
Go to igourmet.com and look.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Just (Googled), Borden's Liederkranz,and found a site that has a new cheese -inspired by Liederkranz- called "Kullers Cheese Factory retail store. The new cheese is called Bayrisher Bergsteiger Kase ( a soft mellow lmburger type cheese). It was $2.75 - 6 oz. Kullerscheese@yahoo.com Hopes this helps !
Old 09-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I love Liederkranz! I had no idea that Limburger was considered 'tamer' - igourmet has the sucessor as mentioned by Barb above. Got to order some of that. Thank you Buck for reminding me of a real childhood favorite!

http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/searc...28&search.y=10
Old 09-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Master Chef

Add me & my mom to the list of Liederkranz lovers, who also mourned its passing. Used to come in a litle cardboard box with a wooden bottom.

One of my mom's & my favorite sandwiches growing up - although not one I ever took to school due to it's "pungency" - lol!! - was Liederkranz & raw onion on white bread. Yum!!!!

Several years ago Saveur magazine did an article on the birth & death of Liederkranz. It was an interesting read - sort of like reading the obit of an old friend.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

It's not made any more? Or jsut not available in the US?
Old 09-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I'm confused (not an unnatural state for me). I also Googled "Borden's Liederkranz" and found quite a bit of information about it.

Most sources say that Borden stopped making any natural cheeses (as opposed to the goo they call "process cheese") in late 1981, after a fire damaged its plant in Van Wert, Ohio, where Liederkranz had been made since 1926.

These sources also say that the Van Wert plant was then purchased by the Fisher Cheese Company, which produced Liederkranz until 1985, when bacteria contaminated a batch of Liederkranz and several other cheeses. Fisher then withdraw Liederkranz from the market, and supposedly it was never made again. The rights to the cheese and the culture used to make it supposedly were then sold to the New Zealand Dairy Board, which has reportedly kept the culture alive but never produced this uniquely American cheese.

Is this incorrect? Have you been able to buy this cheese more recently than 1985? I'm curious because I remember that my wife's father loved the stuff, and I had it frequently at their home before we were married.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:07 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Good info, Doug. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
Master Chef

That's correct Doug, if my recollection of the Saveur magazine article serves me right. There hasn't been any Liederkranz produced since the mid-1980's.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Wrong e-mail address!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L
Just (Googled), Borden's Liederkranz,and found a site that has a new cheese -inspired by Liederkranz- called "Kullers Cheese Factory retail store. The new cheese is called Bayrisher Bergsteiger Kase ( a soft mellow lmburger type cheese). It was $2.75 - 6 oz. Kullerscheese@yahoo.com Hopes this helps !
The e-mail address is kutterscheese@yahoo.com, not kuller.

Tags
None