What do traditional names for fried eggs mean to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course there is also not flipping but, gently, swishing the bacon grease over the top of the egg until it is cooked to your liking. YUM.

Yep. There's nothing like cracking an egg in a skillet that you just cooked bacon in, watching it bubble, and knowing that no part of that egg is touching the pan. Then giving the pan a gentle roll :chef:

Brian, the pet on the TV show Family Guy relates that he was angry because his "Moon Over Mi-Ham-ee wasn't cooked right, lol. Ham and eggs. Never heard that one before.

Last edited:
Brian, the pet on the TV show Family Guy relates that he was angry because his "Moon Over Mi-Ham-ee wasn't cooked right, lol. Ham and eggs. Never heard that one before.

I think that's a menu name from Denny's.

Yep. There's nothing like cracking an egg in a skillet that you just cooked bacon in, watching it bubble, and knowing that no part of that egg is touching the pan. Then giving the pan a gentle roll :chef:
It's even better when that's an egg that is so fresh, it is still warm when you hold it in your hand before you crack it!;)

It's even better when that's an egg that is so fresh, it is still warm when you hold it in your hand before you crack it!;)

You got that right. Holding an egg fresh from the chicken is special. Sometimes I will break my rotation method and cook them straight from the nestbox.

That only works when you milk the cow and then churn the butter to fry the egg in...

I only say it cause I don't get to have eggs that fresh.. :)

And no, we aren't getting chickens.

you know, it's amazing to think that people used to actually do that often.

when did they have the time for it? in between surfing the web, watching tv, and texting.

You got that right. Holding an egg fresh from the chicken is special. Sometimes I will break my rotation method and cook them straight from the nestbox.

You have more discipline than I do--I'll go out and wait for two of the hens (they usually lay around 7:30), just so I can grab those two warm eggs...

You have more discipline than I do--I'll go out and wait for two of the hens (they usually lay around 7:30), just so I can grab those two warm eggs...

So... you don't have to squeeze them to get the eggs to come out? :ROFLMAO:

CWS4322 said:
I don't quite go that far, FrankZ, but I will stand and wait somewhat impatiently.

Do you do the Chicken Dance while you wait?

Your comment makes me think of a story my Grandfather used to tell about an eccentric old lady in our neck of the woods.

My Grandfather said she was so poor she used to follow the chickens around the yard with the frying pan in her hand waiting for them to lay an egg so she could fix lunch.

The so called good old days were not always that good.:ermm:

Good one.

It is ironic with so many people out of work and struggling that so municipalities do not allow people to keep chickens. You can do so many things with eggs and they are a good source of protein. Although my maternal grandfather was a pharmacist, during the Depression, he often got paid in goods--rag rugs, chickens, a cut of beef, milk, butter, and cream. This was northern MN. They hunted partridge, etc., not because they enjoyed hunting, but because it was a source of food for the table. My grandmother had a huge vegetable garden. My mother told the story of how she and her older brother were sent to get some groceries. They had a $10 bill (which was a lot of money--from which they were to bring home change). Somehow, they lost it in the snow. She remembers eating cabbage and tomato soup for the next two weeks until they had money again--my grandmother would add more of her home-canned tomatoes to the soup pot every day...they also had FRESH eggs because my grandmother also kept...Rhode Island Red hens. But my grandmother wouldn't kill one of the hens because they had enough hens so each person got at least one FRESH egg a day, and if she killed one of the hens, someone would have to go without every day. I can't see my grandmother following the hens around the yard waiting for the hens to lay...

Last edited:
Good one.

It is ironic with so many people out of work and struggling that so municipalities do not allow people to keep chickens. You can do so many things with eggs and they are a good source of protein. Although my maternal grandfather was a pharmacist, during the Depression, he often got paid in goods--rag rugs, chickens, a cut of beef, milk, butter, and cream. This was northern MN. They hunted partridge, etc., not because they enjoyed hunting, but because it was a source of food for the table. My grandmother had a huge vegetable garden. My mother told the story of how she and her older brother were sent to get some groceries. They had a $10 bill (which was a lot of money--from which they were to bring home change). Somehow, they lost it in the snow. She remembers eating cabbage and tomato soup for the next two weeks until they had money again--my grandmother made braided rugs and would sell those...they also had FRESH eggs because my grandmother also kept...Rhode Island Red hens. Could I be morphing into my grandmother?

She she used to follow the hens around the yard with a frying pan?

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom